Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Values Flamin Ada Where Do We Begin....

CharlieFarlie

Trying to establish a valuation for my T180 and started by looking on Autotrader and eBay to see what the similar cars are up for.. Accepting of course that the figures can be quite different to what they actually sell for !

Car of a similar mileage to my one 78K are up for silly money. By silly I mean !Removed! expensive ! One or two way over 9K which I think is crackers ! Average trade in figure for my car is 6500 but a T180 for that money will typically have well over 100K miles on it and none of the shiney bits ...

I'm really struggling to come up with a figure at which to advertise my car.. Its a blooming minefield to say the least..

There is no real disparity between a very late 4.3 and the facelifted 4.3.5 either.. Ive seen a 2009 4.3 SR for very nearly the same as a 4.3.5 SR.. Crazy..

I tend not to dwell too hard on second hand values. I have changed cars several times since 2010 and it is by far the biggest waste of money on planet earth. The best car I had was that Tidal Blue 150 and I confound the day I ever let it go.

However, if I change a car I tend to just get on with it and accept that I am going to get screwed.

My thoughts, which may not count for much, but anyway here goes. In my experience however nice a car maybe Joe Public usually wants it giving. It usually pays to really 'go to town' on the advert, lots of photos and a detailed breakdown of the cars history and condition, let the punter know how well cared for the car is and that it's not a typical used car, I have always concluded an add with:…. Reason for sale, i'm buying another Rav4 ……………. (not a Kuga ;) )

Finally, from what i know of your Rav Charlie, if it were mine, I would advertise it at £8.250 and make it clear I'm open to very sensible near offers, not insults.

If as it seems your dead set on selling the 180 Charlie then unfortunately you'll just have to take whatever the market is prepared to pay.

Like you I think it is well worth £8k but realistically you'll probably only draw £7k which for somebody represents a fantastic buy.

Personally I would hold on to it,like Don you could regret selling it.

How's Ada doing? ;-)

• Like 1

What does webuyanycar say? In a sense that is your bottom price.

Please desist from even contacting these sphincti.......it will only encourage them to continue trading FFS......

• Like 3

From memory WBAC was under 6K..... but those valuations are silly as they only go on information like age service history and mileage..

All the other information like additional specification colour and condition are not taken into account..

What I do of course realise is as a trade in all the extras will have very little or no additional value to the book price...

But as a private sale I hope I can achieve a little return on what is in truth a very nice example and has.....

The all important engine and clutch change

Full and comprehensive History though not all at the Dealers.

Style Pack.

Mudflaps

Genuine and virtually unused Toyota tow equipment.

Perfect interior with none of the usual wear to the drivers seat

Brakes all replaced Recently

New Battery and Glow plugs very recently.

New main section exhaust early this year

New starter being fitted on Tuesday

Later Premium Navigation with music hard drive and reversing camera..

Body work is in top condition with no dents or scratches and no rust whatsoever.

I'm taking the roof rails off...

I will put a new MOT on the car. It has 8ish months to run

With the above in mind I will advertise the car for 8K and should with luck get 7500.

I cant like Don says just accept rolling over and accepting whatever I get.. Not my way I'm afraid..

Thanks for the opinions they just firm up what I had in mind... Cheers !

• Like 2

As I said the next owner will be getting a fine example of what is when well cared for the best Rav4 I've owned.

I'd buy it for sure if I was in the market for a five door ! Gotta be the best available. !

Like many others I would do the same as you, compare as many prices for similar aged vehicles, milage, added extras.

I have done this for the T180 and as you say the prices vary so much, it is very hard to set a price.

How can you convey how much a vehicle has been cared for and factor that in to the sale price. To the right audience it will mean all the difference.

Pretty sure that if anyone one on this forum was after a T180 they would go for yours.

I would not trade this in, and would deal with the extra hassle to get a fair price for it. The buyer would be a captive audience and the pitfalls of buying a rav4 can be explained. I bet they would be likely to buy yours!

I agree with Denshaw, the right advert will make all the difference.

• Like 1

From memory WBAC was under 6K..... but those valuations are silly as they only go on information like age service history and mileage..

All the other information like additional specification colour and condition are not taken into account..

What I do of course realise is as a trade in all the extras will have very little or no additional value to the book price...

But as a private sale I hope I can achieve a little return on what is in truth a very nice example and has.....

The all important engine and clutch change

Full and comprehensive History though not all at the Dealers.

Style Pack.

Mudflaps

Genuine and virtually unused Toyota tow equipment.

Perfect interior with none of the usual wear to the drivers seat

Brakes all replaced Recently

New battery and Glow plugs very recently.

New main section exhaust early this year

New starter being fitted on Tuesday

Later Premium Navigation with music hard drive and reversing camera..

Body work is in top condition with no dents or scratches and no rust whatsoever.

I'm taking the roof rails off...

I will put a new MOT on the car. It has 8ish months to run

With the above in mind I will advertise the car for 8K and should with luck get 7500.

I cant like Don says just accept rolling over and accepting whatever I get.. Not my way I'm afraid..

Thanks for the opinions they just firm up what I had in mind... Cheers !

MY REPLY MAY NOT PROVE TO BE VERY POPULAR BUT THE FOLLOWING MUST BE POINTED OUT TO YOU CHARLIE

"Advertising and Soliciting

We have very strict rules about advertising on our message-boards.

Paid members may advertise their personal property for sale in the "For Sale" section of the forum. All adverts will be moved to the "For Sale Archive" section after three months (or sooner if the item is sold and the thread has been updated). This also includes posting requesting valuations of their property. For car valuations please seek advice here: http://www.parkers.co.uk

Authorised Traders may advertise their products and / or services in their allocated section(s) of the message-boards. Authorised Traders must follow Trading terms and conditions.

All unauthorised advertising or soliciting will be removed without explanation and without notice.

The TOC moderation team may at its absolute discretion, remove or edit any post, signature or profile that it interprets to be unauthorised advertising or soliciting, with or without notice or explanation. If you are unsure about whether your post will be allowed under these rules, please seek guidance from a moderator before you post."

As a well respected but non subscribing member please bear the above in mind

What an absolutely stupid response and the actions of someone who has spat out his dummy - obviously there's some previous here and you've been spoiling to do something. The previous posts are simply debating a rationale for selling a car - how to set a price, what information should and shouldn't be included etc etc. This sort of thing is of interest to many forum members and not once does the individual attempt to solicit a sale on the forum.

• Like 1

What an absolutely stupid response and the actions of someone who has spat out his dummy - obviously there's some previous here and you've been spoiling to do something. The previous posts are simply debating a rationale for selling a car - how to set a price, what information should and shouldn't be included etc etc. This sort of thing is of interest to many forum members and not once does the individual attempt to solicit a sale on the forum.

Nail........................Head.......................................

gjnorthall....my response was not stupid and certainly not taken lightly......I disagree that I have "Spat out my dummy"

My post quoted the correct procedure adopted by TOC for members to obtain valuations........

" please seek advice here: http://www.parkers.co.uk"

I think that you have the wrong idea re me "spoiling to do something"......I have respectfully quoted the correct procedure to be adopted and that alone

I've no intention of conducting an online debate with you so this is my last word on the subject. If you had any concerns about a post then the respectful response would have been to contact the member by PM. You're missing the point - obviously most people would know about obtaining valuations from Parkers etc but the point is made that there appears to be a huge range of prices in the market place for similar vehicles so the poster is soliciting the help of forum members for some rationale for price setting.

• Like 4

I have indeed asked for help in establishing a price for my car and as usual on this forum I have received that help ...

Valuations from online sites are woefully inaccurate as they just like WBAC I mentioned above base their figures on simply age a and mileage and nothing that has a bearing on values in the real world..

Quite why a moderator has to complain is beyond me but if I'm honest said moderator is IMO just looking as usual to have a pop at me...

Red you are clearly hell bent on constantly having a go at this section of the forum.. Quoting sections of the rules is just hiding behind whatever your real problem is. I for one cannot understand why you constantly pick away and moderate posts that to everyone else has no reason to be moderated..

You like to quote the rules so allow me to voice my opinion on why forums have moderators ?

It is to ensure smooth running of the site in question. To step in if someone is CLEARLY breaking the rules. To step in if someone is getting verbal or aggressive. TO ENCOURAGE MEMBERS TO POST ! Notice how I put that in capitals ? Because without posters any web site will simply fail to exist....

• Like 3

Charlie.......

Email me yer advert then, and ah will put it on the For Sale section, being a paid up member who became such to try to sell a Toyota Auris and keep within the rules. Results.......

Couple of posts from RAV FORUM MEMBERS, and lashings of Tumbleweed...........

If there is a RELEVANT Moderationalistic reply to the total sense in Gareth post 16, I will be well impressed......

ONE PERSON IS IN REAL DANGER OF COMPLETELY BUSTING THIS FORUM UP..........

• Like 3

Thanks Kev but I will be putting the car on Pistonheads as it's a site like this where enthusiasts tend to visit. ..

I may just leave it till after the Christmass holidays as time for running up and down the country will be hard to find..

Thanks though. !!

• Like 1

I see neither advertising nor soliciting in Charlies post, his intentions were clearly to seek advice on how best to find a new home for his Rav. The listing of fitted extras was simply a way of giving Rav forum members the tools to best advise him on a sensible asking price for his Rav, IMHO this is neither an attempt to advertise his Rav nor to promote any third party website.

Another interesting and well contributed post ruined, this forum will soon need mediators not moderators, needless intervention !

• Like 7

What does webuyanycar say? In a sense that is your bottom price.

Please desist from even contacting these sphincti.......it will only encourage them to continue trading FFS......

I have no connection to WBAC but I do know two people who sold their car to them and were very happy with the price and service.

Would you really sell your car to WBAC? This company was investigated by the Office of Fair Trading in 2011 who found that up to 96% of potential customers were offered considerably less than the initial valuation. Although WBAC claim to have cleaned up their act - the internet is full of unhappy customers. One whistleblower sent copies of emails to the Sunday Mirror showing that the target knockdown of the initial valuation was 28% !!! An undercover reporter from Which? described the wearing down process involving time wasting and the identification of every minor defect imaginable. Even if they did honour the initial valuation - you'll certainly do better selling privately and often you'll do better just part exchanging.

The only positive is that the process is reasonably simple - but at a very significant financial disadvantage to the customer!!

• Like 3

Wee wummin friend (70).........mid price for her car on Parker's £2200 ish..........WBAC offered her £900.00 just last week, BUT THAT WAS "sight unseen", and "may decrease on inspection".......no word of it may go up if better nick than they expected. Then there were arragement fees and "some other deductions" which may kick in..........

S.O.S.........Shower of S**te

People think I'm joking when I tell them Mr We-buy-any-car lives behind high walls, razor wire, extensive cctv and has a panic room in the house. Not that popular locally, can't understand why……..

Gareth.. As above the only information submitted for a WBAC valuation is type mileage and whether or not the car has service history.. So a person might just assume any car will meet the already poor valuation..

To be honest I treat these organisations with the same stick as I do those !Removed! awful pay day loan companies.. IE they are crooks operating just within the law... Only the desperate or perhaps those who simply don't care would deal with these type of bobbing rarstuards ..........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links