Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Compensation For Recall Problem

Richard88

Hi all

Just had the head gasket replaced on my '03 petrol Avensis. Garage told me it primarily failed because of some bolts on the engine which failed. They should have been replaced in a Toyota recall about ten years ago but my car was obviously missed. Is anybody aware of this recall or know where I can find information about it? Has anybody claimed compensation for a recall item that cost them money?

Thanks everybody

Why do you think you should be entitled to compensation?

Did you own the car ten years ago?

It is not unusual to have to change a head gasket on a ten year old car.......depending on how well it has been looked after and the mileage covered

I've just used the VOSA recall checker and between 2001 and November 2006 (which encompasses the period you mentioned), the Avensis was recalled for the following reasons:

2002 - possibility of fuel leak

2002 - possible detachment of car spoiler

2003 - possible imbalance under braking

2003 - possible malfunction of curtain shield airbag

2004 - steering (wear of the intermediate shaft spline)

2004 - vsc warning light may illuminate and the system stop working

2004 - possibility that suspension arm bracket bolts may loosen

2006 - possibility of tyre deflation.

So no formal recall to replace engine bolts.

• Like 1

You are not entitled to any compensation for a failure on the owners part to take the car in for recall repair work

There is nothing on the VOSA website for a head gasket recall, it could well have been a special service campaign rather than a recall, in which case, the work would have been done as a matter of routine when taking your car in for service, that is of course such an SSC existed in the first place

I only took possession of the car last year. It was owned by a family member for some years before and impeccably looked after. The servicing is ahead of what Toyota recommend with a number of main dealer services (presumably until the warranty expired). I have been told by several people (mechanics and otherwise) that it is rare for the petrol versions to fail

Thanks for the info on the recalls, had no idea there was so many.

I only asked because somebody suggested with some confidence that it might be possible to get compensation, and as the repair bill was in four figures I was keen to believe them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links