Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Tyres Or All Weather Tyres That Is The Question

catboy

Yes I have got a service plan,and I have had 5 cars off them in the last 6 years.I expected to pay but I hoped it would be a little cheaper,I will probably go to Toyota to fit the tyres because they are better placed to sort any problems if they break the tyre valves.I may have problems if I go to quick fit.

I took the plunge today and ordered 4 Nokian WR D3 winter tyres.

In lots of tests I've read they're rated about the best winter tyre (vying with Continental WinterContact TS 850 for top ratings) for overall performance in snow, ice, deep water and dry braking below 7°C.

​My dealer quoted within a pound or two of the best online deals, and will charge £30 (all in) for swapping back in the spring, next autumn etc, and £48 per year for storage. I could probably barter the latter a bit, but overall I'm so well looked after by this dealer I'm happy to take it 'in the round'.

Having winter tyres fitted Monday at my local dealer Monday,never tried them before so we will have to see how good(or not)they are

you won't regret fitting them, trust me! They're better than summer tyres

I'm going to be having a word with my dealer in a week or so when I get the PiP in for its 20k service to see what they can do, and will either get them with them, or through mytyres as a tyre and wheel combo.

• 2 weeks later...

£36 for my tyre swap at the local toyota dealer and it comes back sparkly clean and vac'd too! Bargain....

Seen a couple of comments on this thread about fitting 2 winter tyres, please don't do this as it means 2 tyres grip and the others don't - the car could spin sideways....all 4 or none is what i was told and this video seems to confirm that.

John

Rather pleased that I've managed to get a set of 4 PiP alloys from a recently written off example for £220 all in, with LLR tyres, which will be kept to use again when my existing ones wear to a changeable level. All in a bit of a bargain in my opinion considering some jokers were after £500 for the same thing. As they're identical OEM wheels no insurance implications either, which would have been the case if I'd gone down the route of none genuine alloys, which was where I was headed nearly.

WIll look forward to getting my winter rubber fitted and them mounted on the car ASAP.

I'd agree if you're going to get Winter tyres you should go the whole hog and do all 4 wheels.

The video is a bit weird tho'; I don't get why she can just go round the chicane in the 4-winters, but understeers right off with the 2-winters. I was expecting the tail to slide out like it does when she goes round the other corner, not for it to plough straight on! With the winters on the front you'd expect that the car would tend to oversteer, not understeer, in corners! :unsure:

I'd agree if you're going to get Winter tyres you should go the whole hog and do all 4 wheels.

The video is a bit weird tho'; I don't get why she can just go round the chicane in the 4-winters, but understeers right off with the 2-winters. I was expecting the tail to slide out like it does when she goes round the other corner, not for it to plough straight on! With the winters on the front you'd expect that the car would tend to oversteer, not understeer, in corners! :unsure:

I guess it proves that cars with only 2 winter tyres do not handle as expected.

A possible explanation for that is that the VSC is trying to control/compensate for the complete loss of grip in the axle without winter tyres and the result is a bit of a mess...

• Like 1

I've just had 4 Dunlop winter response2 fitted to my auris touring hybrid. Bought new steel wheels of Toyota without realizing it's got tpms valves. Toyota quoted £71 per valve so decided to leave the original alloys on. My local tyre dealer charged £208 for 4 195/65/15. Keeping original Michelin energy savers for next spring. Dunlops so much quiter than michelins. Very good in the rain. Mpg down slightly but I guess weather is playing a part in that

A possible explanation for that is that the VSC is trying to control/compensate for the complete loss of grip in the axle without winter tyres and the result is a bit of a mess...

Hmm, good point. Yeah, if the VSC is braking the front wheels when she's turning that would do it!!

That's pretty bad tho'. Kinda makes me not feel so bad about not having VSC on mine :lol:

I wonder if there is a place you can practice this sort of thing in your own car?

"I wonder if there is a place you can practice this sort of thing in your own car?"

If you can wait a few weeks, there will be no need to practise .....

• Like 1

lol, yet.

What they get we often get 10 days later. So it'll either be crazy rain all Christmas or a white one.

Exactly.

What you need on the snow is 4 wheel braking.

4 wheel driving is a bonus.

Just putting 2 winter tyres on and going out in the snow and ice is asking for trouble.

• 11 months later...

I've decided to give the new Michelin Cross Climate tyres a go (I hope I don't regret it),

In consequence, I have put my winter wheels and tyres on eBay.

The item number is 252135403648 if anyone is interested.

Sure you don't want to keep them until you know whether the Cross Climates are suitable for all year-round??

Ask your local dealer about winter tyres.

With the last Auris I owned, I bought an additional set of winter tyres from them, Dunlop as I remember, they swapped them and stored the summer ones for me free of charge.

As an aside, I preferred the ride on the winter tyres, they gave just as good MPG and were quieter!

Yep going to book Mrs Norris Aygo in for Mr T for her winter tyres to be put on.

I've decided to give the new Michelin Cross Climate tyres a go (I hope I don't regret it),

In consequence, I have put my winter wheels and tyres on eBay.

The item number is 252135403648 if anyone is interested.

Nice one :)

I got CrossClimates all-season tyres on my Auris too :)

Yet to fully test them in summer, winter and wet yet! :)

Interesting most members say their local Toyota store tyres for free.

Is this because either u have service plans or bought tyres from Toyota?

I think my Toyota wanted £25 for storage and £40 to swop them...

"Interesting most members say their local Toyota store tyres for free.

Is this because either u have service plans or bought tyres from Toyota?"

Usually because you have bought tyres from them. Not all dealers offer it though e.g. my local Mr. T doesn't (mind you their tyre prices are also uncompetitive compared to Lovetyres, Mytyres, Oponeo etc. if they offered a free tyre hotel it might make a difference to me).

• Like 1

"Interesting most members say their local Toyota store tyres for free.

Is this because either u have service plans or bought tyres from Toyota?"

Usually because you have bought tyres from them. Not all dealers offer it though e.g. my local Mr. T doesn't (mind you their tyre prices are also uncompetitive compared to Lovetyres, Mytyres, Oponeo etc. if they offered a free tyre hotel it might make a difference to me).

Nope I bought my tyres off Mytyres.co.uk after checking prices with Mr T and they weren't competitive. But I think Mr T likes loyalty so they will help out anyone with a toyota. The fact I've got a car with a full warranty and service plan probably helps. I checked that they would fit them before I bought them off mytyres.co.uk

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links