Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What To Look For When Buying Avensis Estate?

itaa

Thinking of purchasing Avensis ~2007 with a diesel engine (the facelift model), I have heard that 2.2 engine has problem with headgaskets so not even considering it so the only one left is 2.0 diesel.

Anyone maybe can give me some ideas what to look for when buying one? any known problems you should avoid?

Also do these Engines have Timing Belt or Chain?

Also do the seats fold completely flat for these? Like dead flat? I went to see yday one 2005 (pre-face lift) model and its rear seats didnt folded completely flat so you couldn't also recline the front passenger seat so you are able to load suuuuper tall objects in the car. However I think last year I saw one 2008 model where the seats folded 100% flat and you could also recline the seat almost completely ,but im not sure maybe I just got it confused with some other car- anyone can confirm?

actually can someone confirm which engines exactly had problems with those headgaskets and till what years? Im reading now that d-cat engines are crap and have these problems however the d4d are ok even if they are the 2.2 .

A bit Confused :D

Any help?

Both 2.0 d4d 1AD and 2.2 d4d/d-cat 2AD engines fitted in the T25 ( 2005-2009 ) are affected by the same potential issues, The earlier less powerful 2.0 1CD engine fitted upto 2007 is not prone the issues affecting the #AD engines, if you want an Avensis diesel that is not affected then you will have to go for a later T27 2009> Avensis as these included the later engine that is far less likely to be affected.

uh are you sure about that? I have seen only full forms of people with 2.2 engines having problems not the 2.0 , well t27 is out of my budget and I don't really like the looks of that car that much anyway.

yes, he's sure.

I've certainly seen people on forums with failed 2.0 1AD engines but it does seem that perhaps the more powerful engines are more prone so 2AD 177bhp>2AD 150bhp> 1AD.

It's also worth bearing in mind that actual failure rate is probably well under 5% - the problem is that you can't foretell which ones will develop the issue ...

• Like 1

So the only good engines are 2.0 till the 2007 pre-facelift?

that 5% becomes more like 50% when you are buying a 2nd hand car because rarely anyone will sell a perfectly good car :(

that's not true - plenty of people change cars either on an age or mileage basis rather than running them until they break.

• Like 1

not where i live :D

Anyway Im damn confused now, at some places people say that the 2.0 is excellent.. but now someone like you say that all of the engines till 2009year have got this problem.

also checking on ebay/gumtree I see Tons of 2.2 for sale as spare/repairs or with ''small'' problem such as the gasket failure :D but I havent seen a single 2.0 engine listed like that.

Teda, er du for real? Du trenger ikke sparre Devon Aygo 'er du sikker pa det?' Devon Aygo he da man!

Hi Teda, Reading what Scott said, the higher powered the engine, the more stress. So the lower powered 1AD may not suffer as much compared with the 150/177 BHP engines.

So if 5% of the AD engines have the issue, mostly are the bigger more powerful engines and only a very small amount may be the 124 BHP engines.

I hope this makes it a bit easier.

Konrad

I've a 2.0 d4d on a 2008 (58) and not had a problem with mine even with a weeping water pump (which I finally changed after 30,000 miles (bought at 73,000 changed at 100k)). Devon Aygo knows his stuff as he's helped me out with a different problem I was having trouble with with the exactly the right answer.

dunno why you wouldnt want a petrol one, my 03 t3-x has 172k miles and only issue i had was a drive shaft snapped, no engine problems at all apart from lack of smiles power after coming from a bmw, ive had mine now six years and my only gripe is that i got the 1,8 not the 2,0

Need a diesel for work, wouldn't mind a petrol and may get one next time but im happy with it so far. My CV joint started clicking bout 2 months ago so swapped out the drive shaft for a recon one, job fixed. :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links