Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Model Toyota Prius

Faisal17

Hi everyone!

I realise this is owners club. I haven't bought Toyota yet. :-)

I am looking to buy used Toyota Prius 2008 model under 150k  mileage. I need some suggestions from experts in this forum.

My budget is £3200. I have seen some of them available in gumtree. After I do hpi check, is it safe to buy through gumtree?

And is it safe to buy 2008 model Prius as long as mile age is under 150k? What do you guys think? I am sure lots of people own that kind of cars here. 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

Thank you for reading and looking forward to hearing your suggestions. 

Warmest regards 

Faisal 

It's just the same as any other car. Check all of the service history, take a competent friend/mechanic with you to check it over, all of the normal stuff whether you're buying from Gumtree or anywhere.

The mileage shouldn't be an issue. The traction Battery should last a lot longer than that. Hopefully there will be some dealer health checks in there. Otherwise the only risk with the Battery is that it would need replacing at some time in the future, just like the clutch / DMF on any other car which would cost more.

To check the condition of the Battery see if you can switch all heater systems and electrical items off and get on a flat road when test driving. Try to keep it in EV mode for a while. As long as it lasts more than a few seconds I'd say it would be at least passable. But others may have better info than that, I'm going off my gen 3 experience.

• Like 1

Check the coil springs in the rear suspension - a lot break near the top, but it's not obvious when driving.  If spotted at an mot it will be a failure.  It seemed to affect more 2004-5 models, but Id'd get it checked on any Gen 2 Prius.

Buying off Gumtree is no different to buying off eBay - eBay own Gumtree.

I heard starting the car may be a bit difficult if I don't use Prius on daily basis.. What do you think? If I am not using this car very often.. I may be using 3 days a week, it may be under 20 miles to 40 miles...

Depending on what my schedule is, I have often only used my Prius just once a week for a journey of about 30 miles for months on end. Never had a starting problem yet.

I also found no starting issues with irregular use of Gen 1 & 2 Prius over a year or so.  For the remainder of the last 15 years I drove my Prius (all four generations) almost every day.

I did, however, find the brake discs wore out excessively quickly (10,000 miles) due to a cycle of rust, and wearing the rust off when I did drive the car.  In daily use, the wear was negligible, and they looked good for over 200,000 miles.

The car was not garaged - if it had been it might have been a less severe problem, as it may also have been in drier climates.

Thank you guys for the fastest response ever @PeteB and @Chippy01.  So I am not looking for any other car. I will be buying PRIUS only..

I will update here once I bought it...

Warmest Regards,

Are they both Gen 2, and is there a big difference in price?

(Gen 3 has a sort of bridge centre console, with the gear knob and some buttons on it, whereas it Gen 2 is more open plan at the front.  The Gen 3 bridge was not popular with everyone (especially me), and made it almost impossible to climb into the driver's seat from the passenger side if someone parked too close to the driver's door - unless you are young, fit and agile [I failed on all 3!])

At these sorts of mileages I would be looking at condition, how they drive & service history.

Where are you, Faisal? In the UK to cover the battery https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/hybrid-health-check.json

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links