Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any idea what these stereo loom plugs are for?

Lee Collings

You may need to connect up the reverse wire if you haven't already

Well this is actually going to lead me to start asking a new set of questions, but I think it may be best opening a new topic for this, as this doesn't really relate to the plugs I found in the original post.

I now understand (after needing several re-read attempts to get that the camera has constant power and the unit uses a signal wire to switch).

My question is, is there any other place (nearer to the centre console / dashboard) that I can tap into - to avoid running a wire al the way from the stereo to the rear light clusters?

Like, somewhere around the gearstick? Is there a switch there that triggers the rear light circuit?

You're overthinking it.

There is a 5 pin grey plug as you pictured above

IMG_E0823.JPG.d347afb366122dde1a6a9230d2

136405548_toyradio5pinsock.jpg.3d5dda024d0c8e8c044ffcd7017f6ff2.jpg

Front view of the connector

393353160_toyradio5pin.thumb.jpg.11046ae7a53ad3a8a8d8f9592c854c06.jpg

The camera only needs power in reverse as you are fitting an aftermarket camera, pick up the power from the reverse light

My worry is, because this wiring wasn't exactly 'wired up' when the car was built - can I guarantee that this pin is actually wired to the reverse circuit?

If this plug is wired correctly, then I literally would be amazed If this is all I need.... I may not even need any extra cable as the head unit breakout cable has a length of this already...

The reverse wire on the DA130 is reverse signal IN, pin 5 on the car is the 12v reverse signal, it will show 12v when in reverse gear with the ignition on

Awesome, thank you! That's potentially saved me a lot of time and effort (and money). Given you've helped me a lot on this thread... once I've got this completed and set up, I would very much like to give you some money as a thank you.

Just wanted to be clear though, I know the camera only needs power in reverse, but will it do any harm to keep cutting power when not in reverse, to either the camera or head unit?

The camera manual says it's designed for constant ignition power.

Are you saying I could just connect the red (power) wire from the camera to pin 5 of this grey plug, along with the usual ground and the RCA video to the head unit, and that's all that's needed?

yes, only time you would use a switch live is if you are using the rear camera as a rearview/dash  camera

Alright cheers, I'm hoping I can do all of the wiring then at the back of the stereo. I'm going to pop down to Halfords tomorrow to get some of those cable snap connectors.

Avoid using scotch locks if you can, a crimp will give a much better and in turn more reliable connection

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links