Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 3 2012 Prius T-Spirit - reliable?

tdwuk

3 minutes ago, PeteB said:

about 1500 from end of 2000 to late 2003.

Only 60 Toyota dealers were allowed to sell or service them, until the Gen 2 was launched for the MY 2004.

No wonder I never saw any others!  I remember driving my colleagues around the car park in it and they were all amazed by its electric only power - must have managed all of a couple hundred feet!

At the end of the day, Toyota's main emphasis is the US market, followed by the Asian market. Toyota wouldn't have expected the Prius to sell in large volumes in Europe, and unlike GM Europe, have concentrated on being profitable rather than chasing volumes.

Similar to today's Mirai.

Hi,

I want to clarify something about the plugin, I noticed using the zap site that nearly all of the charge points around me are type 2, is it just a case of buying a type 1 to type 2 cable from somewhere like evcables.co.uk?

The power also varies, the type 1 is 16a but type 2 is 32A.  Is that an issue?  Will it damage the Battery?

Also, what is stopping people stealing the cables in public places, they don't appear to lock just clip off.

Thanks

On 7/27/2018 at 11:09 PM, tdwuk said:

Hi,

I want to clarify something about the plugin, I noticed using the zap site that nearly all of the charge points around me are type 2, is it just a case of buying a type 1 to type 2 cable from somewhere like evcables.co.uk?

If they're just Type 2 and <22 kW or so they should be fine. If it's a triple-head "rapid" charger (tethered cable) then in my experience they don't work - the AC on these are for things like the Renault Zoe which can do around 43 kW.

The power also varies, the type 1 is 16a but type 2 is 32A.  Is that an issue?  Will it damage the battery?

No risk - there is a handshake process between the car and charger, and the car will only draw as much current as it is designed to (2.2 kW or about 10A @ 230V). It's like how all your normal household sockets are rated for 13A - whatever you plug in is only going to consume as much power as it needs.

Also, what is stopping people stealing the cables in public places, they don't appear to lock just clip off.

Thanks

Some charging points may have a locking mechanism, not sure really. I haven't had of cable theft myself.

Thanks, I ordered a cable from Amazon 16a.  I read in the reviews that there was space for a padlock to stop the cable level being depressed fully.

I am really liking the Prius, lovely silent drive.  It has made me drive calmer!

• Like 1

That's what I found when I drove my first Hybrid 12 months ago, which was an Auris, followed 6 months later by a Gen3 2010 Prius (wife now has the Auris) and I changed 10 days ago for a Gen4 2016 Prius which is more amazing then the Gen3 - like 82mpg !

• 1 month later...

Had our Gen3 (59 plate) for 4 years now aside from the EGR valve issue the only minor criticism I have is the paint work is quite poor and can scratch easily. 

Will miss it in a way when it goes later this month.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links