Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"Clank-cl-cl-cl-clank" at low revs/gear...

lestermester

Hello,

On my E11 Corolla (1999), when I am approx going from 1st to 2nd gear, or when [for example] driving slowly over speed cushions, there is a brief clanking noise coming from under my car. I can normally accelerate out of it, i.e. I don't get the noise in the higher gears. What might be the cause? Exhaust related?

Thanks in advance.

Probably anti roll bar drop links shot, or lower arm bushes. Get it checked out by a reputable garage if you cannot check for yourself :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Does it clank more when on a slope? Go to a 1:3 or 1:4 slope and rev it a bit. If so likely the exhaust towards has moved and needs moving back to re-seat in the rubbers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeTomato said:

Does it clank more when on a slope? Go to a 1:3 or 1:4 slope and rev it a bit. If so likely the exhaust towards has moved and needs moving back to re-seat in the rubbers.

No, it clanks when on the flat too. Generally when going from 1st to 2nd gear. It might be the rubbers that need re-seating.

Thanks

Yes as someone had said it may be a sway bar bushing, but I had knocking, not clanking sounds which turned out to be old struts. Sometimes one wears out before the other. You can get cheap strut cartridges these days, then not bother with spring compressors.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention two other clanking noises which baffle the mind. One is if the springs around your brakes are too weak and another is if the air conditioning hose has come out of its mount and knocks against the hood.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links