Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Space saver spare tyre or tyre repair kit?

Eddie G

Whoever thought upp the iidea of replaccing the spare tyre by a bicycle repair kit did Toyoya the greatest disservice since the invention of the wheel ! He can only have been mentally deficient .

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, bob40230 said:

Whoever thought upp the iidea of replaccing the spare tyre by a bicycle repair kit did Toyoya the greatest disservice since the invention of the wheel ! He can only have been mentally deficient .

I have used Halfords tyre weld aerosol loads of times on car and motorcycle wheels and it has worked on most occasions. £10 a can well spent and I would pump a can or two into the tyre as a first line of attack.

However, I have also bought a space saver, jack and wheel brace kit from Toyota parts on line for my Yaris Cross in case the tyre weld doesn't work. I once ended up on the hard shoulder for about 2 hours with a blow out and it was frightening to say the least. I had a spare and jack but couldn't find the wheel brace. So now I make sure I have everything in place.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bob40230 said:

What makes you think this is a Toyota thing? Most makes are doing this, at least in some markets and/or for some models.

• Thanks 1

Yes every manufacturer seems to be going down this road.  I'm torn on this.  

Yes id prefer a spare wheel, or space saver at a pinch, but I know how to jack up a car, and replace a wheel properly and safely.  Apparently the vast majority of people have NEVER had to do this, nor have they ever practiced changing a wheel.  

Therefore gunk surely seems to be a sensible idea, given the fact that most will call the rescue services if they have to change a wheel.  I've bought some gunk that doesn't ruin the tyre as a precaution.  I might investigate the space saver in the Yaris Cross though, as suggested. Belt and braces.  😃

• Thanks 1

I'm not a big fan of the gunk, as they only work on very minor punctures - The sort you could probably inflate the tyre to 60psi and drive to the nearest tyreshop before it dropped too low again - and they almost guarantee that the tyre shop will refuse to repair the puncture as most of them won't touch a tyre with gunk in it.

The sticky strings a few members have posted about seem like a better solution but I've yet to use the kit I bought in Real Life (I must admit it looks like a massive ballache to push the string into the puncture hole!).

The main reason spare tyres are increasingly rare is the CO2 emissions - When a car is homologated, it is done with all equipment in the car, and even a space saver adds a significant amount of weight, perhaps enough to push the car into the next CO2 band, so they take it out.

• Like 3

Yeah, the sticky strings work, but you do need a bit of upper body strength to plunge it in.

I haven't got that now, but a pal ten years younger does.

The ones who claim emissions that contribute to less than 1% of global warming are damaging the planet, allegedly, can offer to fix things for me if they want.

But I know they won't.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

they almost guarantee that the tyre shop will refuse to repair the puncture as most of them won't touch a tyre with gunk in it.

I suspect this is an urban myth. I had one fixed (a good many years ago) and the fitter said it was no problem.

At worst it means spending a couple of minutes with some blue roll to wipe out the inside and who is going to send your money elsewhere for that?

• Thanks 1

I'm a fan of having some sort of spare simple because if something happens you can at least get going again.

I also know that if I didn't have a spare when I had a problem which killed the tyre it'd be in a mobile black spot in the pouring rain, howling a gale miles form anywhere......

Andy

• Like 2

There was a good argument for and against a space saver.

Against:  If your need is not urgent or you can't change a wheel,  then wait for the Roadside Assistance. 

For: If you have a time critical need get a space saver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

There was a good argument for and against a space saver.

Against:  If your need is not urgent or you can't change a wheel,  then wait for the Roadside Assistance. 

For: If you have a time critical need get a space saver.

We have a spacesaver in our Yaris but I doubt I could use it in the wild these days. I no longer have the strength. I can swap wheels on the drive, but that's with the help of a 1m breaker bar to loosen the nuts and a slightly shorter torque wrench to tighten them up again.

So I'd probably be calling breakdown anyway.

• Like 3

Am still young enough so capable of changing wheels in less risky situations. On fast dual carriageway/motorway hard shoulders/smart (not so) motorway will call breakdown. Got space saver and also rubber strings which am able to do. 

Have an amber beacon led light coming, idea came from 'Chas the G man' for those risky situation and in fog. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Have an amber beacon led light coming, idea came from 'Chas the G man' for those risky situation and in fog. 

I'd still rather have the breakdown company van between me and the morons.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I'd still rather have the breakdown company van between me and the morons.

Absolutely, the amber led is for driving in fog etc or breakdown on fast risky roads. Would be calling breakdown for sure, good idea to have the beacon on, so hopefully morons don't ramp into my car. Will be out of the car and over the fence, read too many horror stories including so called smart motorways breakdown.

• Like 2

@Mojo1010  been thinking about this.   I reckon once out of the car walk towards the traffic (on the other side of the barrier).

When they hit your car all the debris shoukd scatter behind you.

@MikeSh my point exactly,  get someone else to change the wheel.   Having a spare however means you can carry on after they change it albeit at a reduced speed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

When they hit your car all the debris shoukd scatter behind you.

Absolutely. Often see peeps sat on the barrier or bank but right next to the car.

12 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Absolutely. Often see peeps sat on the barrier or bank but right next to the car.

Yes, in the debris zone.  Mind you,  there could be a real foul up with the danger zone a hundred feet or more back up the road.

On the M5 there is a notice saying No Safety Barrier on the left side.   Can't see the point really.

PS, just had a flesh back.  We were stuck on the M6 up north.  Broad daylight and this bloke was giving her one on the crash barrier. I think they were from different cars even.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

just had a flesh back

I thought that was a typo at first, but when I read on ...

• Haha 6

• 2 months later...

Well, sorted, Mrs 124 contrived to prang the sidewall of the rear tyre.  Instant bang so we pulled straight off into a Service area car park 

Once stopped,  this old bloke started to empty the boot, placed boot mat and towel by the wheel when this medical professional in a suit came across, said move out of my way, and let me do it.

Within 20 minutes we had the space saver on, loaded up,  and on our way.

Lesson 1 - a space saver got us out of a hole.

Lesson 2 - carry enough kit to make  tyre change comfortable. 

Lesson 3 - get a proper jack handle. The Toyota iron bar might have a use but jack handle isn't one.

Lesson  4 - a space saver means we will be mobile for the next 3 days before we can get the tyre changed.

Fortunately it was mild and sunny

• Like 2

Bought a full size spare, jack, brace etc off ebay; £110 in total from 3 different sellers.  

If broken down, always wait 50 - 100 meters BACK from the car; if someone runs into the broken down car, it will shunt it forwards/sideways and you don't want to be near it.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:02 AM, Roy124 said:

On the M5 there is a notice saying No Safety Barrier on the left side.   Can't see the point really.

PS, just had a flesh back.  We were stuck on the M6 up north.  Broad daylight and this bloke was giving her one on the crash barrier. 

Once when looking for the Toyota engine plant in Deeside (they had just cut the first turf to build the factory) I went past a massive car park with only one car in the middle of it. I thought what's that? A little Fiesta with the sunroof open and a pair of legs out of the roof with a chap kneeling towards the female........anyway you can guess the rest :naughty: :naughty: Broad daylight too!! 

Once had a puncture ON the Thelwall viaduct, never been so scared in my life. A Police Range Rover pulled up a few hundred yards behind me with all lights going, I have never changed a wheel so fast in my life :scared: He didn't give me a hand mind 😂😂

• Haha 3

My 'fast' change had been at night, I had limped the last miles to Portsmouth on a flat,  drove straight passed the ferry checkin much to their consternation,  despatched wife on foot to checkin, and did a rapid if inelegant wheel change. 

• Haha 1

@Paul john I agree,  very niffy.  Not sure I could justify the cost.  If I was in the habit of swapping wheels around or removing them for cleaning,  maybe.

I am curious about the available torque.  Is there not a risk of the device turning and not the nut?

I used to slacken off all the nuts. jack the car up, then grip the spanner and rotate the wheel.  Quicker than twisting the spanner. 

Also, another piece of kit to carry, besides wheel chocks, is a small plank incase the jack is on soft ground.

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

@Paul john I agree,  very niffy.  Not sure I could justify the cost.  If I was in the habit of swapping wheels around or removing them for cleaning,  maybe.

I am curious about the available torque.  Is there not a risk of the device turning and not the nut?

I used to slacken off all the nuts. Jack the car up, then grip the spanner and rotate the wheel.  Quicker than twisting the spanner. 

Also, another piece of kit to carry, besides wheel chocks, is a small plank incase the jack is on soft ground.

I too have a “plank” lol.

It’s not about regular changing. I have had many many hybrids and driven upwards of 500,000 in the last 20 years (my job) and have had at least 8 flats.  
i agree the investment is heavy but tbh my last flat took me 2 hours because the jack was so poor. 
plus some skin from knuckles. 
i would agree about torque. I always do a quarter turn with the manual leaver anywhoo

• Like 1

I find the Toyota supplied wheelbrace is adequate. I have been known to use a Battery drill with a tent peg in the chuck to wind the jack, caused much amusement at the time, but I see it's copied now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links