Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Highest miles

Hendini88

I have a Toyota auris TS hybrid and I’m doing 20k miles a year. I’ve had the car from 16k and I’m on 110k currently. 

How many miles do you think they last before issues. Currently I’ve only changed the brakes once on front and back. And that’s about it cost wise. Runs great 57mpg (hills and round abouts). 

• Like 3

Great, I have 2010 Auris bought at 42k miles in 2015 then start using it for my business travel since late 2018 and covering 50+k miles a year, so far so good, just clicking 150k miles, regular service on time, and only changed all wheel bearings at 140k miles even though wasn’t necessary I wanted all new brakes and bearings and wheels and tyres, now drives like a Merc.,  ops. 👍

• Like 3

150k clocked today 🏎🤩 , full service also done in the afternoon, ready for another 10k miles. 

EB9E9AF1-D9DD-4CB4-B571-5354F734B22A.jpeg

• Like 3

Mine haD about 230km so ~140k miles. Now 255k km
From what I gathered all the parts were original. Except for the front brake pads, that were changed.
But I got a decent deal on it knowing it needs a bit of work.

Cleaned the whole Egr system including the intake. And it was a well deserved clean, because it was pretty bad"

Changed the Anti roll bar links and outer tie rods. As they all were definitely out or close to being out already(But I suppose the previous owner didnt rly know")
Because apart from the annoying creak sound you would get sometimes going down a bump backwards, it didnt really make any hard, noticeable noise from the suspension while driving.

Not long after one of my wheel bearings gave out.

Not long after that I changed my struts/mounts. I kind of changed them on a whim, as a few good reputable services didnt rly say they were bad, But I felt some over-steering I guess you would call. As I always had to slightly "correct" my steering wheel when making a turn or going on a bent road. So changed em out, And yeah one of the mounts definitely had some play, the other might have still been "ok" Both the struts also seemed, not rly good, but definitely still did something. And yes, my steering now, IS IDEAL" viva le mounts/struts..
All the parts I used werent Oem, btu from reputable manufacturers so Im very interested to see how long they will last.

My general thought is. The Auris just like the Prius is build like a tank. You cant rly kill its suspension that easily. And you can probably get away driving it with most the things already being heavily worn out but still be more than fine with it(loosing some safety and stuff in the process of course), and not hear any bad noises. I had a Renault scenic before.. If smth starts failing you damn hear it and soon after everything fails :D. Id say Toyotas are pretty damn good at surviving and not giving you trouble until they just implode or someone decides to scrap em.

I;ve also talked to a bunch of Auris Hybrid taxi drivers in my country before making the purchase and some of them did 150k on them, from like ~200k they bought it at. And they still had no real issues to say or complain about, of something that would be out of the ordinary

Edit" I do have one annoying thing that I have yet to get too, and its the weird noises my steering wheel makes. It kind of creaks and pops' abit. I tried fiddling with the lower shaft joints as per searching on this forum and beyong, and grease them but to no luck, from what I can tell its coming directly out of steering wheel. So either the clock spring or grease is need somewhere deeper in the upper column. It gets much worse if its hot outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

i have the same question about the auris so i'm reviving this old thread! i've just bought a 2011 Auris Hybrid - petrol 1.8. it has 87,000 miles on the clock currently - i got it on part exchange or the old car, absolutely love the Auris. 

just wondering what's the maximum lifetime mileage i'm likely to get out of it? 

12 minutes ago, treeoflife2020 said:

i have the same question about the auris so i'm reviving this old thread! i've just bought a 2011 Auris Hybrid - petrol 1.8. it has 87,000 miles on the clock currently - i got it on part exchange or the old car, absolutely love the Auris. 

just wondering what's the maximum lifetime mileage i'm likely to get out of it? 

You got to remember the engine will only have covered approx 45%-55% of that mileage, the rest is hybrid Battery running. The Toyota hybrid system has been around over 20 years, and they got the system pretty much right first time. The hybrid system in your Auris is basically the same as in the 2009-2016 Prius. I had one of those for 6 months (prior to buying the Gen4) and sold it with 110k miles. It had been a taxi previously for 50k miles and the guy was selling as he was fed up taxi driving. I seen reviews, particularly in USA of Prius overnight 200k-300k miles and still going strong. Just go to one of the bigger Yorkshire cities, Leeds, Bradford, York, Sheffield etc and I reckon you will see Prius lined up at taxi ranks. Go ask the drivers what they think about running costs etc.

Tips on what to car for. In the base of the back seat is an air vent, this is to keep the hybrid Battery (under the back seat) cool. Make sure you don’t put shopping bags in front of it, make sure it’s not blocked with hair etc.  Back brakes can easily seize and rust through lack of use, where safe try to use your breaks heavily on occasions. The rest is wear and tear just like any other cars ie suspension, steering joints, brake pads, etc.  Toyota do an annual hybrid test, or did, for about £45. If I interpreted what I heard correctly this is now died in with a Toyota dealer service but if free (included).  Never read anyone fitting a new hybrid Battery. Complete unit now cost about £1200, but individual cells can be swapped out for about £110 each (there is 29 independent cells).  I still like driving the Auris hybrid the wife has, was once mine, but I got the Gen3 Prius then the Gen4 Prius.

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

That’s somewhere around 190,00 miles, well done.

• Like 1

Beautiful digits, can’t wait to see mine the same 👍👌🚗

Well done 

• Like 1

Mines at 96k miles and falling apart to some extent. issues so far:

Aerial broke

water pump went (replaced at ~60k miles) and now needs replacing again

AC no longer works - probably regas will fix it.

leaking water into boot from tail light

sticking rear caliper/pads (probably because pads were not put in correctly)

and now brake/clutch fluid loss, see below

Didn't think I'd have this many issues with a toyota but I've probably less issues with this Auris than with my 2 previous BMW's which were total money pits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ziauris said:

Mines at 96k miles and falling apart to some extent. issues so far:

Aerial broke

water pump went (replaced at ~60k miles) and now needs replacing again

AC no longer works - probably regas will fix it.

leaking water into boot from tail light

sticking rear caliper/pads (probably because pads were not put in correctly)

and now brake/clutch fluid loss, see below

Didn't think I'd have this many issues with a toyota but I've probably less issues with this Auris than with my 2 previous BMW's which were total money pits.

All the problems you experienced are typical for the model and engine, water pump is well known issue for 1.6 ,  happens to everyone at different times and low miles too, water in boot comes mostly through brake lights , they need to be taken off and properly cleaned from dirt and debris , some silicone sealant may help here too, master cylinder also common fault on manual cars, brake pipes rust and rust in general depends if the car been driven on motorway in winter, that’s what kills the cars in U.K. plus living near the sea., rust is also the cause of sticking brake callipers, all in all the car hasn’t been maintained to the highest standard by the previous owners, plus soon or late that problems comes to all cars, it’s the age too, cars are ageing and even without high miles. 

On 8/20/2020 at 2:17 AM, Hendini88 said:

I have a Toyota auris TS hybrid and I’m doing 20k miles a year. I’ve had the car from 16k and I’m on 110k currently. 

How many miles do you think they last before issues. Currently I’ve only changed the brakes once on front and back. And that’s about it cost wise. Runs great 57mpg (hills and round abouts). 

Lucky you. Mine is doing only 47 mpg but I acquired it in 2016 at 40k mark.

I am at 85k now. Done transaxle fluid once and regular engine oil/filter every 10k.

Pads and disks on the rear. Soon spark plugs, coolants, suspension, front brakes and brake fluid. 

Half the mileage was driven in London and I carry a spare wheel.
I DIY all servicing.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:09 PM, Sungodraz said:

[...]
Not long after that I changed my struts/mounts. [...]
All the parts I used werent Oem, btu from reputable manufacturers [...]

What brand, model, please?

23 hours ago, Fostel said:

What brand, model, please?

I went everything "Kyb", struts and mounts. I dont have the number on hand( I can find it if youd like) . For reference I paid 68eu per srut and 34 per strut mount. Changed myself, job is pretty easy with the tool to compress the springs, and a friend helping is useful. If you want dm me Ill give you the official instructions..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sungodraz said:

I went everything "Kyb", struts and mounts. I dont have the number on hand( I can find it if youd like) . For reference I paid 68eu per srut and 34 per strut mount. Changed myself, job is pretty easy with the tool to compress the springs, and a friend helping is useful. If you want dm me Ill give you the official instructions..

Would be great!

I am getting ready to replace with KYB too.

I would prefer to get the whole strut assembled (they work out cheaper than parts separately most of the time) but KYB seems not to offer them assembled. 

Just checked KYB catalogue:

https://kyb-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/KYB-2018-Shock-Absorbers-Version-A.pdf

KYB Excel-G Shock Absorber: 3448009 (£79,96 a pair)

KYB Repair Kit, suspension strut: SM5639 (£74,16 a pair)

KYB Protective Cap / Bellow, shock absorber: 912030 (£66,30 a pair)

KYB Shock Absorber: 339700, 339701 (£112 a pair)

Prices from autodock.

Did you reuse springs and accessories?

Would you recommend and brands for stabiliser links and sway bar bushings?

8 hours ago, Fostel said:

Would be great!

I am getting ready to replace with KYB too.

I would prefer to get the whole strut assembled (they work out cheaper than parts separately most of the time) but KYB seems not to offer them assembled. 

Just checked KYB catalogue:

https://kyb-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/KYB-2018-Shock-Absorbers-Version-A.pdf

KYB Excel-G Shock Absorber: 3448009 (£79,96 a pair)

KYB Repair Kit, suspension strut: SM5639 (£74,16 a pair)

KYB Protective Cap / Bellow, shock absorber: 912030 (£66,30 a pair)

KYB Shock Absorber: 339700, 339701 (£112 a pair)

Prices from autodock.

Did you reuse springs and accessories?

Would you recommend and brands for stabiliser links and sway bar bushings?

Didnt change the back ones actually, I cheaped out, and left it out for another time :D.

And I didn't change the bellow(for that price, I wouldn't if yours look fine visually from outside. 33pounds. Thats a rip off :D. Maybe it includes the small "foam" thing that is below the strut mount.(That would explain the price more). But ~33 for one. Outrageous :D.

I'd check your back ones before changing them. They probably last longer that front ones, for sure. But if money isnt a big issue for you. Just change them out if you feel they could be going bad. If they end up "Good". Just keep em for later. As everyone deffo has one sentiment, the after market ones, don't last as long as the Oem ones :D. thats a "fact"|
One more weird thing. The front Oem. one has "hooks" coming straight from the strut spring seating mount., the after Kyb ones didn't. So I just left the bellow hang there(not a problem ofc,)

Springs and everything else should be fine if you car doesn't have some kind of ridiculous mileage/ is 10 years old+, and even then. Those things should be fine.. So I'd hold on to change all of that the next time strut goes bad.

I bought Meyle HD" for the links, but that was because that was on hand. and seemed the best at that time.
I still would maybe pick em, but I suppose there are more safe" choices/ Ctr(south korean company i believe( seem to be well regarded for price/quality ratio, if money isnt a big issue, Lemford, Febest, Heart+Buss I'd also generally trust, from what I gathered.
I changed the sway bar bushings for "Meyle" as well, But.. Also just cuz they were pretty cheap, and readily available. I probably would have gone for Oem ones(if the price isnt out of the World, which form what I saw isnt.) 2nd but. I think they were fine :D. Like. the rubber seemed good, and maybe they were just a bit harder than the meyle ones.(Maybe just by default they are harder). So I'd honestly skip the bushings, unless you can see them being cracked... Its a pain to change them as well, as you have to drop the subframe shield". And I was dumb enuf to strip one of the bolts there, because there is a special procedure to put it back on. As you have a special sequence in which you screw onthe thing, And with my "Luck" I managed to do it so. That the first bolt I had to screw in, was the one I screwed in last.... So I stripped the thread :D/ Leave the bushings... Most likely they good 😄

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Things that never fail in Toyota car since year 1995. Ball joint.

Rarely fail: tie rods, steering rack, bearing (Koyo Seiko), compressor, condenser, radiator, alternator

Common wear:  stabilizer bushings, front control arms bushing, stabilizer links, shocks adsorber, struts (depends road conditio), brake sliding pins need regreasing, Transmission fluid 60k miles automatic, differential fluid, Iridium sparkplugs 120k miles, waterpump, starter, EGR valve and cooler cleaning, intake manifold and pcv valve cleaning.

In Toyota, don't fix if it's not broken. Wear is normal, keep using it. Small crack in rubbers is normal, still last 5 or 10 more years. 

• Like 1

Clunk noise in suspension, usually from 10 euro stabilizer bushing or stabilizer links, not shocks. 

Creaking noise and wobble usually from control arms or bad tire balance. Sometimes brake disc if it is too thin.

Shocks wear is obvious, you see oil leaks reaching the bottom of struts/shocks. A little wet near the top is normal.  Clean the underbody once a year to prevent rust. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Oisin said:

Big milestone for the Auris today.  200k miles. 🎂

20210926_201903.jpg

Well done mate 👌🚙 enjoy yourself and the car. Happy celebration 🎊👍🍾 I am getting there slowly although still behind. 

DBF4C891-9FCB-4A7A-A556-38EA68B40F13.jpeg

• Like 1

The original question was "How many miles do you think they last?"  As has been said, the Auris engine / drive train is virtually the same as the Prius.  These can rack up immense mileages.  A friend of mine has a 2006 Prius that she commutes 90 miles a day to her florist shop - then the car is used a s a delivery vehicle.  The odo speaks for itself:

322k.thumb.jpg.c4cae56d8dacca828ad2dfc24c3880d1.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, Wooster said:

The original question was "How many miles do you think they last?"  As has been said, the Auris engine / drive train is virtually the same as the Prius.  These can rack up immense mileages.  A friend of mine has a 2006 Prius that she commutes 90 miles a day to her florist shop - then the car is used a s a delivery vehicle.  The odo speaks for itself:

322k.thumb.jpg.c4cae56d8dacca828ad2dfc24c3880d1.jpg

I think that's the highest I have heard of so far, but I'm not surprised.

I won’t post a photo of my odometer as it’s clearly barely run-in at 53000 miles, going by this thread. However, I do appreciate everyone else posting theirs - gives me confidence that I’ll get a few more years out of mine.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mcntosh said:

I won’t post a photo of my odometer as it’s clearly barely run-in at 53000 miles, going by this thread. However, I do appreciate everyone else posting theirs - gives me confidence that I’ll get a few more years out of mine.

Your only a few hundred in front of me lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Poli said:

few more years out of mine.

Back in 2013 Toyota Austria posted an article about an Austrian taxi driver who'd done 1 million Km.  About 625,000 miles in his Prius.

I can't find the original toyota.at article but it's still here:  carscoops.com/2013/12/toyota-prius-hybrid-taxi

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links