Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Catalytic Converter Theft Solutions - Catloc, etc

citycash

I have managed to get in touch with my insurance, Admiral.

They want to take the car into one of their garages but I am not feel comfortable nor confident that they will use an original catalytic converter. I have suggested that I would rather do it at Toyota, having a confirmation that they do have the part in stock and that it can be done within the day. It costs £1,000.

Should I trust the insurance and let the car go to their garage?

Edit: The car will be recovered to a Steven Eagle Toyota garage to get an estimate, to then send it to the insurance.

The insurance told me that I am going to lose two years of no claim bonus with this claim.

Edited by alex_alexs28

Err, why? Do you have no claims protection? If so you shouldn't lose any unless you've made 3 claims on this policy already or have been with Admiral previously and claimed...

If they are using the Toyota exhaust then it would be fine. Losing 2 years NCB is bad 😞even with protected ncd, there will still be an increase for 5 years. 

Theft claims are always against the policy holder unless the thieves been caught and brought to court. You can ask the insurance to use only original part sourced from Toyota dealer and they should do that by default as otherwise they are not bringing the car back to its original condition and value worth. If no oem Toyota part is used better not bother with insurance but buy off eBay and let third party garage do the work, problems may arise afterwards. Best to double check with your insurance to confirm that their garage will use parts bought from Toyota and it will be fixed to the manufacturer specs. , if they confirm you can go ahead and let them carry the work. Check for noise and exhaust leaks after that. We needed to go three times back to re do the job because of that reason and at the end they send us to Toyota dealer to fix it because the garage in Watford that the insurance used were not capable of doing it properly. Toyota got the car on ramp, redone the exhaust gasket and all was good. 

• Thanks 1

Either way, it won't be great.

Previously, I have only claimed once for having new keys and lock, after I lost during my holiday. However, at that time they said that it won't affect the no claim bonus.

Ironically, an efficient car that this is, following incidents like this, it turns out into something that is draining money, and now even if I will have a different car.

I am in a confused position right now, feeling vulnerable for the future and not wishing to deal with again, even with a cat lock. I am feeling to give the car away or to part exchange it with a different one. However, this is only out of fear. In reality I like it a lot and I want to be holing on it.

I have asked my council for a garage, again. Previously I have been rejected due to a long list of people wanting one too. Maybe in the light of this situation I may get something. However, I am not too optimistic. I am guessing that the process won't change based on sympathy.

People that had similar experience, or anyone else, how would it deal with this vulnerability?

Not many people know about cat theft until it happened to their car. Those that knows took action to get catloc and de-badged. A few years ago I had considered getting an auris, done some reading up and found it along with Prius Jazz, and lexus ct200 had cat stolen.

Only you can decide the next step forward. A corolla or Yaris have the cat at the manifold which isn't touched, though heard of corolla they went for a wrong part to cut off. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alex_alexs28 said:

Previously, I have only claimed once for having new keys and lock, after I lost during my holiday. However, at that time they said that it won't affect the no claim bonus.

Ironically, an efficient car that this is, following incidents like this, it turns out into something that is draining money, and now even if I will have a different car.

I am in a confused position right now, feeling vulnerable for the future and not wishing to deal with again, even with a cat lock. I am feeling to give the car away or to part exchange it with a different one. However, this is only out of fear. In reality I like it a lot and I want to be holing on it.

Keys and lock definitely won't impact no claims bonus, so this would count as your first claim. If you have NCB protection, I still don't understand why claiming for theft would affect your NCB - That really doesn't seem right to me...

The newer models are less likely to be targeted as they have a lot less of the catalyst metals in them, and even then that cat is part of the exhaust manifold so they'd have to cut through the firewall or engine to get at it.

The new ones also have a lot of fairly tough plastic/fibre panels on the bottom which would also get in the way.

If you do want to get rid of it, the Corolla might be a good side-grade (Assuming you can find one for non-ripoff prices). There are parts of it I don't think are as good as the Auris (e.g. The drive mode selector and general interior) but it's got better power and handling and I think it's a good successor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's probably a bonkers idea, so feel free to say so if it is! For those who have to leave car on a drive, outside all night, what about a lockable device anchored to the ground to prevent the car from being jacked up? Obviously a thief could destroy it, but if it were made of suitable materials it could slow them down

So we're back in the 80's even more where people used to wheel clamp their own cars to stop them getting nicked? :laugh: 

Hmm, a cat clamp!

Maybe not... sounds like the sort of thing that'd get the RSPCA after me! :eek: :fear: 

I have to be locked away in my pen now as apt to go wandering down the street with a carving knife.. I assume that idea is a non starter? Unfortunately it's exactly what I'd do in that situation, makes sense to my deranged mind 

Sometimes I cover my own @ss, instead of dealing with insurance.  However, catalytic replacement can cost nearly £2000 and 2 years no claim lost is not too bad. I need to pay €700 for SF2 vs €520 SF4. SF=# no claim years. But the difference is minimal if we have SF10 vs SF12. Getting a catlock installed for £150 is the best money saving if we live in high risk place. 

I don't understand why it's two years. It doesn't make sense to me of how can be wiped off a year from the past with no claim bonus. In its sense is saying that I haven't claimed, therefore I am entitled to it, there how can be written off?

I understand about this year, having to go through this claim now but overall I am not so sure how it works. I am not so sure what exactly impact those two years will have.

After Christmas I will engage with the company for more information.

About the catlock. I thought of also putting that wire protection around it, plus the plate and the tilting alarm. I am not sure if I am going crazy about it, and if it will affect me. I am thinking about over heating.

• Like 1

I don't think there's any problems with overheating with a plate with vent holes, I've had one on for 3 years and no problems anyway 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

I don't think there's any problems with overheating with a plate with vent holes, I've had one on for 3 years and no problems anyway 

I’ve had the Toyota one for 18 months - no sign of any problems with heat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 3:18 PM, alex_alexs28 said:

On 12/23/2022 at 3:18 PM, alex_alexs28 said:

I have asked my council for a garage, again. Previously I have been rejected due to a long list of people wanting one too. Maybe in the light of this situation I may get something. However, I am not too optimistic. I am guessing that the process won't change based on sympathy.

People that had similar experience, or anyone else, how would it deal with this vulnerability?

Let me help with this.

If you go with insurers garage:

A) They will be experienced (by now) with CAT replacements.

B) The warranty will be more than one year (This is more important than is often realised).

C) You can insist that the cat has to be an original Toyota part. It is your property. Property rights apply.

D) If it is still done poorly - you can then go to toyota and make the insurer pay. However the extended warranty is still in place & the insurers problem.

Check to see a tilt alarm and Catlock plate is included in ANY cat replacement. The tilt alarm is the REAL deterrent. The plate should simply be considered a 'Risky Challenge', to the thieves. Some of them might "get off" on the challenge of defeating this defence. I have seen Ring door bell videos of thieves doing a dance when they have the CAT in their hands, after stealing it from a car. 

In terms of whether you should keep the car, here is my wisdom - Simple and rational:

If the Cat gets stolen a second time, all the calculations you made about the financial advantage of owning a toyota hybrid are nullified. The increase in insurance (significant) , the time, the effort, the loss of use (and yes - it does affect the NCB for some insurers) - all of these nullify the financial advantage of owing this hybrid over its productive life (during your keep) UNLESS, you use it as a TAXI for work - where the financial advantage may just win out.

It will always be in the back of your mind when it is out of sight - "Is someone interfering with my car".

After the theft on my Auris, I now do everything possible to have a line of sight on the car when possible (e.g Mcdonalds). I have modified my behaviour about where I park.

Whenever I park the car at a supermarket - it is as close to the entrance as possible - where a cat heist would be noticed immediately.

The previous theft always remains in the back of your mind, when the car is not parked in a place, where you feel you can manage the risk.

Emotionally - the theft was a 'violation'. It felt like an attack on our quality of life. The psychological effect is similar to when one's house had been turned inside out by a thief, just maybe less pronounced. The anger is natural. You did nothing wrong. Someone has placed a new burden on your family finances and there is little you can do about it. 

These are my thoughts. I invite constructive criticism & addendums from fellow members. Trying to contribute honestly to this conversation - to aid to the community.

Unfortunately, there are more CAT thefts that we will hear about on the forum. Hoping this contribution may help others in the future.

A very Merry Xmas to you all.

Ko.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kojac said:

Let me help with this.

If you go with insurers garage:

A) They will be experienced (by now) with CAT replacements.

B) The warranty will be more than one year (This is more important than is often realised).

C) You can insist that the cat has to be an original Toyota part. It is your property. Property rights apply.

D) If it is still done poorly - you can then go to toyota and make the insurer pay. However the extended warranty is still in place & the insurers problem.

Check to see a tilt alarm and Catlock plate is included in ANY cat replacement. The tilt alarm is the REAL deterrent. The plate should simply be considered a 'Risky Challenge', to the thieves. Some of them might "get off" on the challenge of defeating this defence. I have seen Ring door bell videos of thieves doing a dance when they have the CAT in their hands, after stealing it from a car. 

In terms of whether you should keep the car, here is my wisdom - Simple and rational:

If the Cat gets stolen a second time, all the calculations you made about the financial advantage of owning a toyota hybrid are nullified. The increase in insurance (significant) , the time, the effort, the loss of use (and yes - it does affect the NCB for some insurers) - all of these nullify the financial advantage of owing this hybrid over its productive life (during your keep) UNLESS, you use it as a TAXI for work - where the financial advantage may just win out.

It will always be in the back of your mind when it is out of sight - "Is someone interfering with my car".

After the theft on my Auris, I now do everything possible to have a line of sight on the car when possible (e.g Mcdonalds). I have modified my behaviour about where I park.

Whenever I park the car at a supermarket - it is as close to the entrance as possible - where a cat heist would be noticed immediately.

The previous theft always remains in the back of your mind, when the car is not parked in a place, where you feel you can manage the risk.

Emotionally - the theft was a 'violation'. It felt like an attack on our quality of life. The psychological effect is similar to when one's house had been turned inside out by a thief, just maybe less pronounced. The anger is natural. You did nothing wrong. Someone has placed a new burden on your family finances and there is little you can do about it. 

These are my thoughts. I invite constructive criticism & addendums from fellow members. Trying to contribute honestly to this conversation - to aid to the community.

Unfortunately, there are more CAT thefts that we will hear about on the forum. Hoping this contribution may help others in the future.

A very Merry Xmas to you all.

Ko.

Thanks a lot for sharing with us your experience and your perspective following the incident. It is reassuring to know that there are serious deterrents for these situations but also a clearer view over a second unfortunate situation like this. I don't use the car for taxi, therefore is likely that a second attempt may lead to removing the car from my life.

I would like to know if there would be a problem by installing a protection net over the catalytic converter followed by the plate. I have seen in some other posts that sort of wire wrapped around the converter but I am not so sure if you can then put a plate to seal that area.

22 hours ago, alex_alexs28 said:

Thanks a lot for sharing with us your experience and your perspective following the incident. It is reassuring to know that there are serious deterrents for these situations but also a clearer view over a second unfortunate situation like this. I don't use the car for taxi, therefore is likely that a second attempt may lead to removing the car from my life.

I would like to know if there would be a problem by installing a protection net over the catalytic converter followed by the plate. I have seen in some other posts that sort of wire wrapped around the converter but I am not so sure if you can then put a plate to seal that area.

Issue is, whatever solution you use - does it allow sufficient cooling of CAT.

Second - is it valid under your insurance policy.

Wire around exhaust may cause rattling noises plus if eventually any work is needed in the future the mechanics may refuse to do it because these wires are nightmare to remove. The catalytic converters does not need cooling like radiators, even opposite, they need to warm up quickly and remain at high temperature. What is important is heat flow away from the car body, but even that it’s not a problem with cat plates. Many catalytic converters on other cars are fitted at places where there is minimal air flow so no need to worry about cooling. 

• Like 1

As an update to my catalytic converter being stolen, the car has been recovered to a Toyota garage, where is due to be assessed and then to be offered an estimate. After the approval from the insurance, I hope to get a courtesy car for the time that I will have to wait for the car to be done.

Meanwhile, in three days, the police has sent me a letter to say that they will stop due to lack of evidence, pretty much, and can be reopened if there will be some. There was no effort in this way. In my eyes, the police should engage in the local neighbourhood with the residents and to try and find some leads. Maybe I am wrong.

20221231_221316.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@TonyHSD  How is the catalytic shield after few months you use it? Does it scrub the ground on some bumps?  I plan to install exactly like yours because it is much doable with 6 bolts instead of drilling and riveting.  My car often scrub the ground when going to the garage on the brace behind the resonator on Auris 2

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

@TonyHSD  How is the catalytic shield after few months you use it? Does it scrub the ground on some bumps?  I plan to install exactly like yours because it is much doable with 6 bolts instead of drilling and riveting.  My car often scrub the ground when going to the garage on the brace behind the resonator on Auris 2

Hi John, 

The cat plate turned to be a good one. I have no problems at all to date and this is now 36 months and 100 000 miles since.
I never touched the ground or any speed bumps or obstacles that I need to go over on daily basis. The cat also performs well, there is nothings unusual to report. Also no vibrations or anything. I think it might be even better than the Toyota own plates. 👍

This is from the same place I bought mine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284139255197?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=58zWZ8UxSwu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and the bolts if you interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165308864129?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IA78k8v5TNW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Here is the most recent picture from last February and 200k service. 
image.thumb.jpeg.2cfd9c21e0ff2a2696dff07e8b80415a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony, I found the smaller head 26002SU, 17mm instead of 19mm locally. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links