Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2016 SE Cruise Control Help

AWoolford

The car has the same engine and cvt

have you confirmed the wiring from the clock spring to the ecu, there are many ecu wiring types

as you are aware, a few people have added CC that require an ecu swap but there is no information

Another member on here has been told by a dealer they do CC upgrade without touching the ecu - but I think they are using an aftermarket kit $400+

Yes I have confirmed the wiring from the clock spring back to the ECU.  I can measure volts on the CC stalk.

The 896610U350 ECU is available.  However I was in touch with a local ECU repairer, who said that he thinks the 0U270 can be reprogrammed by anyone with a TIS Pro account.  I'm not so sure, but it is interesting that both the 0U350 and the 0U270 list both the 'r' and 'g' spec model numbers in their compatibility lists.

The TIS online website states it is for North American vehicles only.  Meanwhile obdii365.com have provided me with a link to what looks like a hacked version of version 16 or Techstream Global:  https://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/mini-vci-for-toyota-with-toyota-tis.html providing I buy their cable.  Again, I can't confirm one way or the other if this will actually reprogram the 0U270.

The only third party CC I could find online, was basically a kit which wired back to the ECU, not totally standalone.  I'm not keen on a separate system TBH. I'd like it to be using the vehicle's own systems as far as possible.

I really don't mind buying the 0U350, but obviously don't want to end up with something that is simply a later version of the 0U270 that still needs reprogramming to function.

I suppose the only answer is to bite the bullet and see.

• Like 1

For calibration files, you have to have a legit version of techstream and have paid access, im not sure what service they use in the GCC or Asia as your car doesn't show up on the EU portal

you will also need a vin to get those files

i have tried my normal sources but can not find the wiring diagrams for your type of yaris as it uses the same setup as the Vios (NCP150) the information you need is "Terminals of ECU" this is in the service manual aka GSIC

@flash22 Ah now that's really useful thankyou.

I can verify straight away that the connections in Diagram A are the same and this is the ECU described for the CVT transmission.  On that basis alone, all the ECUs must be pin to pin compatible.

What it won't answer, of course, is whether or not the existing ECU ending 0U270 can be programmed to activate the cruise control.  The calibration files, (if I understand correctly), are Toyota updates that tweak operational parameters of the car which are not user-adjustable, normally in the name of safety or reliability.  If cruise control really is an option, I would hope there is a parameter in Techstream that could just be toggled On or Off.  A dealer probably could do it, only the UAE dealers simply won't do it because it counts as a modification and its against their policy.  I'm tempted to try the obdii365 cable and hooky software first for $35 and see how far I get.

Actually let me ask you this... if we were modifying an EU vehicle, would Techstream be able to toggle Cruise Control feature on and off and, if so, where would I find that parameter in Techstream?

If it's wired, it is usually plug and play on the EU cars except those with the 1krfe (1.0L engine)

techstream has function tests and data for the cruise under it own heading

• 2 weeks later...

@flash22My VXDIAG interface has now arrived from the above site.  I have installed V16.00.017 of Techstream along with V1.8.1.1012 of the VX Manager drivers.  For others doing the same, you need to ensure you get the latest version of VX Manager (which is not necessarily the same as the supplied CD), for the licence hacks to work, otherwise you are likely to see expired licenses and a request to update them.  The interface purports to be J2534 compatible, which is apparently needed to perform reprogramming as opposed to cheaper interfaces which are for diagnostics only.  This one can do both.

With that said, I have made some progress with the vehicle ECU, but so far have failed to activate the necessary functions for cruise control.  This could be due to the fact I don't yet know how to drive Techstream properly and have been clicking around to see what I could find without a lot of success.

I have taken some screenshots of the Techstream pages below and would be grateful for further advice.

Starting with the vehicle connection, in pics TS5 and TS6 below, I am presented with a number of options.  The vehicle model is identified as NSP15# and the Engine as 1NRFE.  (The vehicle is in fact an NSP150-AHXRV) so I'm okay with that.  However this followed by a number of options.  I have no idea what these options are, but the only one that connected to the Cruise Control ECU was "Others" followed by "2009-" followed by "Others (without SMART key).  This was simply trial and error, so all I can really say is that the "Others" option found CC, while others did not.  If anyone has a clue what I should select, (or where I can find the correct information to select for my vehicle), that would be useful.

So under the "System" Menu shown in TS1, the Cruise Control is highlighted.  The colour code suggested that an asterisk means the module cannot be found - and to my delight there was no asterisk.  Entering the Cruise Control Live menu in TS2 and clicking the "Data List" button (Yellow) shows the Brake Cancel Switch (currently OFF).  Pressing the brake pedal turns it ON.  However there is no mention of the Cruise Control Stalk (which is most definately wired back to the ECU Socket).

Pressing the Utitlity Button shown in TS3, only one option "Customize" is shown.  Opening this only displays a table of options which seem to have nothing to do with Cruise Control.  Clicking any of these opens a blank table with nothing to customise.

So on the face of it, I seem to have drawn a blank.  But at least I know that there is a Cruise Control Module, and that Module responds to Brake Pedal inputs.  The question remains, however, how to activate it so that it will also recognise the CC stalk inputs?

There are options to open TIS, but these all take me to the .jp Toyota site requesting a login.  Will I need a subscription to go any futher and, if so, would it do any good if I did?  According to the TIS site https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_pageLabel=ti_whats_tis&_nfpb=true I could buy a cheap professional subscription for 2 days which includes a proper license for Techstream.  But I note the US site says it is only for cars sold in North America which isn't a lot of use.

Many thanks again for your support.

TS 1.PNG

TS 2.PNG

TS 3.PNG

TS 4.PNG

TS 5.PNG

TS 6.PNG

There are so many versions of tech stream about, the one you have looks to be china/asia based

i have to look into TS as i cant remember the menus off the top of my head

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

The OP is in the UAE the EU - TS doesn't cover the car (the car is built in Thailand (TMT plant in Chachoengsao)

it's been a bit of a battle getting info on these cars

• Like 1

@Heidfirst Thanks for the link.  As this car is a UAE model made in Thailand, I suspect I need the ASEAN region.  That said, do you know if the subscription will do any good as regards enabling the Cruise Control in the ECU so that it will at least recognise the CC stalk that is connected to it?  I don't see where the settings would be, or is it a matter of downloading a patch fromTIS?

sorry Andy, I hadn't gone far enough back in the thread to realise where you were/market car was made for. :blush:

Nor do I know about enabling CC on it, again sorry. 😞

• Like 1

No worries.  Every little helps.  Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

This is what the data list shows on my hybrid (also found an issue with my cluster too)

561849275_gen3gtsCCdatalist.thumb.jpg.a7ff1e8123c3de05623dd10b503ef4ed.jpg

Quite a bit more info then.  So what should we conclude?  ECU swap still needed or reprogrammable with a TIS subscription?

To reprogram the ecu, you will need a VIN from a car to the spec with CC tho

Meaning if I buy the 0U350 for the G spec vehicle with CC, it should come already programmed?

Yes it will have the base programming, but it will require the VIN and immobilizer to be programmed

Ok, I will go for that then.  Thank you.  I'll

let you know when it arrives.

Yes thanks.  You posted the image on dropbox in an earlier post on July 29.  It's actually a different pin out to the PDF you attached above, but it is the one that matches my ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

Big day today, the new ECU 89661-0U350 has arrived from Toyota.  At least it looks like the same physical box and connector.  I'll let you know if it works!

57F81843-8464-4BF0-BF00-8BA97AEB53F5.jpeg

AC41F8F7-9124-481A-9CDF-D881613F0EFD.jpeg

B31DAD0C-F40B-4562-89E7-CFF36756D17E.jpeg

1E3D5A93-D2E5-4581-A07A-001373035793.jpeg

Keep us posted 👍

You just need to code the keys and write the vin any shop with a high-end scan tool can do that

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links