Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

55 minutes ago, Will GX13 said:

Hiya.

Who would have thought.

Just happened to me on a local road, about 30mph, slightly up hill, loss of power was not noticeable, steering was fine, breaks definitely felt odd, as after 10 years with this car i got used to regenerative breaking assisting. Felt safe enough to continue to my destination, so took it easy and carried on for another 10miles. Parked, turned the car off, left it for few minutes, tried, all warnings asa per photo back on, except for traction control.

Car was always serviced at the main dealer, last service three months ago and hybrid health check done and passed. Waiting for main dealer to open the shop and will see if they can either advise what to do or take a look. 

Bit worried that main dealer may refuse to honour the 10 year warranty ( as car is over 100k now) and this is going to turn out v expensive. 

Anyone any ideas? I've skimmed through this forum, would be happy if this was something to do with 12v battery. car is used daily, about 300 miles a week.

PS.

The only thing I've noticed recently, say few weeks, the transition between battery traction and engine kicking in became noticeable- until that point it has always been silky smooth.

20230301_193235.jpg

Hi, 

this might not be the same as we are discussing here in this post. You have hybrid system check , and you have lost your regenerative braking. This might be something different like wheel speed sensor. When hybrid system malfunction happens the car loses power completely and goes into N neutral and driver not able to drive but to pull over and restart the car. Also system malfunction fault happened when a wheel slip is detected and transmission overloaded. I had experienced both faults in mine and yours sounds more as wheel bearing problem. 
Good luck and let us know 👍

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Phil T said:

We used to drive on the left, now we drive on what’s left 😱

So for me, that I'm used to drive on the right, everything should be right ? ✌️ 😀

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, RickyC said:

So for me, that I'm used to drive on the right, everything should be right ? ✌️ 😀

Most likely or definitely better. I am sure in your country gritted trucks aren’t throwing salt every night between October and April but in uk they do and the results are obvious: rusty cars and trashed roads like a moon surface 😂🥲

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 3/2/2023 at 9:29 AM, TonyHSD said:

Most likely or definitely better. I am sure in your country gritted trucks aren’t throwing salt every night between October and April but in uk they do and the results are obvious: rusty cars and trashed roads like a moon surface 😂🥲

Yep, it's like driving across a teenager's acne ridden face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have an 18 month old Yaris Cross which malfunctioned on Sat during rapid acceleration joining a busy duel carriageway. The car failed to accelerate causing a near miss of being hit from behind. The engine was revving with a smell of burning but the car fail to accelerate. The hand brake symbol came up on the dashboard and the warning handbreak system malfunction. This was then replaced with the warning hybrid system failure.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? I saw there was a similar event for the Corolla Hybrid which were then recalled.  I am now scared to drive it and not sure I trust Toyota to take it seriously.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Topics merged.

Presumably you've booked the car in at your Toyota dealer.

1 hour ago, jaynebell42 said:

I have an 18 month old Yaris Cross which malfunctioned on Sat during rapid acceleration joining a busy duel carriageway. The car failed to accelerate causing a near miss of being hit from behind. The engine was revving with a smell of burning but the car fail to accelerate. The hand brake symbol came up on the dashboard and the warning handbreak system malfunction. This was then replaced with the warning hybrid system failure.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? I saw there was a similar event for the Corolla Hybrid which were then recalled.  I am now scared to drive it and not sure I trust Toyota to take it seriously.

It sounds like the handbrake was applied.  You’ve not finished the story, what happened next.  Is it still the same? Did your hand need a break (that bit was a joke).  Why don’t you trust Toyota to take it seriously?   

• Like 1

Hi Don,

It did feel like the handbrake came on but there has been a similar issue caused by the transmission with the Corolla. I pulled into a layby and turned everything off and restarted. I limped home on the backroads max 35 miles an hour with the dashboard displaying Hybrid system failure and no other information.  I'm scared to drive it because if it had been a lorry I had pulled in front of on the duel carriageway, it would have been very nasty. I was lucky it was a mini that managed to break and pull out to the other lane. It was so out of the blue, no hint of a problem before it happened.  Its with the Toyota garage now but they are too busy to look at it for now. They didn't seem concerned or surprised. I lack trust because of there being a similar issue before so am questioning why its happened with the Yaris. There has also been other issues reported with the handbrake not coming on so I have little faith in the automatic handbrake.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jaynebell42 said:

Hi Don,

It did feel like the handbrake came on but there has been a similar issue caused by the transmission with the Corolla. I pulled into a layby and turned everything off and restarted. I limped home on the backroads max 35 miles an hour with the dashboard displaying Hybrid system failure and no other information.  I'm scared to drive it because if it had been a lorry I had pulled in front of on the duel carriageway, it would have been very nasty. I was lucky it was a mini that managed to break and pull out to the other lane. It was so out of the blue, no hint of a problem before it happened.  Its with the Toyota garage now but they are too busy to look at it for now. They didn't seem concerned or surprised. I lack trust because of there being a similar issue before so am questioning why its happened with the Yaris. There has also been other issues reported with the handbrake not coming on so I have little faith in the automatic handbrake.

Been in similar situation like yours took me ages to gain trust in my car again., weeks if not months. Let see what the dealer will say and after they fix the car you don’t need to lorry about it. You can try to avoid super hard accelerations especially when there are potholes and large cracks on the road. 

• Like 2

Garage have just confirmed my Hybrid system malfunction is a damper issue and needs replacing. I didn't go over any potholes and drive carefully normally to save fuel. I did accelerate quickly to join fast moving traffic on a duel carriageway at which point the car slowed right down, smelt of burning, engine revving hard, warning sign of handbrake malfunction then system malfunction. Almost got hit from behind by a mini - just relieved it wasn't an HGV or I wouldn't have been so lucky!  Very scary!

Mine was manufactured in 2021 according to DVLA. Why is this still happening! I haven't had a recall notice. If this is a known problem then why has it been happening for so long? Surely you should be able to accelerate to join fast moving traffic without risking your life from a system failure. 

They don't know how long it will take to get fixed as its a major job and they don't have parts. Not what you expect from an 18month old car. 

• Like 4

Damn right. We all should drive dependable cars. What you describe is outright dangerous. Shame on Toyota. Maybe now with Toyoda gone things will improve. Read that they took apart a Tesla Y and pronounced it's workings, a work of art! 

• Like 2

Two years ago Toyota publicly announced that will start using lower grade parts in their cars where previously would had been rejected.
Those should be mostly body panels or parts not directly seen by the owner (customer). All that as a result of every on short supply. Since then there had been a lots of complaints about fit and finishes on new cars. These damper clutches could had been some of the many lower grade parts fitted to the latest produce. On this forum only ever complain about damper clutch issue was a couple of year ago on a Prius 2010 and replaced under warranty. Same problem btw, lost of power and burning clutch smell, and it’s because a clutch malfunction. In normal condition these damper clutch units should last the vehicle lifespan and they aren’t serviceable or consumables like manual transmission clutch or brake pads. 
I agree, the cars should be able to withstand some fast accelerations. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jaynebell42 said:

Garage have just confirmed my Hybrid system malfunction is a damper issue and needs replacing. I didn't go over any potholes and drive carefully normally to save fuel. I did accelerate quickly to join fast moving traffic on a duel carriageway at which point the car slowed right down, smelt of burning, engine revving hard, warning sign of handbrake malfunction then system malfunction. Almost got hit from behind by a mini - just relieved it wasn't an HGV or I wouldn't have been so lucky!  Very scary!

Mine was manufactured in 2021 according to DVLA. Why is this still happening! I haven't had a recall notice. If this is a known problem then why has it been happening for so long? Surely you should be able to accelerate to join fast moving traffic without risking your life from a system failure. 

They don't know how long it will take to get fixed as its a major job and they don't have parts. Not what you expect from an 18month old car. 

If I understand correctly, the damper is the effect and not the cause.  Yours is the only one that I’ve heard of doing such a thing but if they only change the damper, there’s nothing to stop certain doom you’re convinced you’re going to meet.  Don’t start Nixy off, he’s on a permanent downer on Toyota 😉.  Look, yours so far is the only one so to rant like Toyota have been negligent and putting you at risk is a bit over the top in my opinion.    It could have been a truck behind you but it wasn’t.  Your house could collapse on you but it didn’t.  I’ve got no doubt it was a scary experience but there was a reason it did it and that’s what needs to be understood.  

• Like 1

I ... ahem ... tried to provoke the car I had on test, and it behaved itself. I couldn't bring myself to run into potholes deliberately, but was not gentle on rough roads, gaps/cracks, etc., and it was fine.

I'd be surprised if Toyota accepted lower standards on such a critical part. Look at how this thread has gone because of a couple of issues.

As noted further up, this could be a legit defect in 2021 build cars, rather than due to a decision to use lower quality parts.

• Like 2

No pink glasses here Anchorman. Yaris Mk 4. Great passive and active safety. Very good economy. All else is average to mediocre. The above are negated if the car proves unreliable. Also your argument about not being hit by a truck is baseless. Better have a reliable car and not need it than otherwise. Think about it. 😊 👍 

58 minutes ago, Nixy said:

Better have a reliable car and not need it than otherwise. Think about it. 😊 👍 

Could you name a manufacturer that has made a car that never went wrong, if you think Toyota are unreliable I am glad you choose one over Vauxhall. 

• Like 4

I believe today's vauxhall / opel are pretty reliable. Corsa is number one in UK sales, if not mistaken. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Nixy said:

I believe today's vauxhall / opel are pretty reliable. Corsa is number one in UK sales, if not mistaken. 

...all bought by 17-year-olds with new licences. They're junk. My sister had one. Gutless as hell, drank fuel, and the clutch was rubbish. All Vauxhall engines are trash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nixy said:

All else is average to mediocre.

I guess that is very subjective. I've been in plenty of makes/models of car (some I'd need to sell my house to afford), and quite honestly very few (actually, none of them) made me think they were worth the great expense.

My gen. 3 has held up pretty well. The most questionable interior piece has been the driver door card. Scratched in ways I can't figure out. Seats are nearly pristine, which is impressive.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

All Vauxhall engines are trash.

They did some nice V6s back in the day, underrated.  Needed the intake sorting as a bit strangled but nice and torquey.

• Like 3

The truth is that Toyota Yaris and Yaris cross particularly some specific builds does have damper issues. And not necessarily been as a result of something else. Those as a result of something else including a software glitch continue to work after been restarted if  “hybrid system malfunction” event happens, but some like in this case now could be purely because of a damper defect.
I like Toyota cars but when something it’s not right it’s not right and it’s obvious why people are trying to deny it’s beyond me. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nixy said:

I have had two and will never buy a Vauxhall again -

If you think they are reliable have a quick look at the Corsa E (facelifted Corsa D not Electric) forum and you will soon change your mind.

https://www.corsaeforums.co.uk/

• Like 2

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links