Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021v1 Map Update now available

bigblock

This is not new with this update. I have had this happen on and off for about a year or so. I just ignore it now and use CarPlay if I am concerned about speed cameras. 

Today I decided to do the full flash drive update to see if I could get the cameras back, they're back.

OK, another camera question.  Somewhere I saw a way to add a camera with the option to say whether it was in the direction of traffic or opposite.  Now I cannot remember where or how to report a camera.

The other point is that some cameras are bidirectional and others can be set to either direction.  Also some cameras do not exist.  Can they be deleted or reported as bidirectional?

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

OK, another camera question.  Somewhere I saw a way to add a camera with the option to say whether it was in the direction of traffic or opposite.  Now I cannot remember where or how to report a camera.

The other point is that some cameras are bidirectional and others can be set to either direction.  Also some cameras do not exist.  Can they be deleted or reported as bidirectional?

Most aspects of the map can be modified here:

https://www.here.com/

I've never bothered looking to see if that includes speed cameras because I have no interest in them so I don't know if they can also be edited there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Most aspects of the map can be modified here:

https://www.here.com/

I've never bothered looking to see if that includes speed cameras because I have no interest in them so I don't know if they can also be edited there.

No, I meant a dynamic report, pass a camera, hit the position.  I am sure I saw the option but cant find it now.

19 hours ago, Roy124 said:

No, I meant a dynamic report, pass a camera, hit the position.  I am sure I saw the option but cant find it now.

If I remember correctly, if you tether your phone to the satnav so you are getting live data, a little speed-camera icon pops up at the bottom of the map. If you touch that, it gives the option to report a camera.

20 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Rab, this just might be the answer.  I do not like Android Auto and do not usually plug my phne in, recently I did just to charge it.  I will have a look when it is next connected.

17 minutes ago, RabButler said:

If I remember correctly, if you tether your phone to the satnav so you are getting live data, a little speed-camera icon pops up at the bottom of the map. If you touch that, it gives the option to report a camera.

Unfortunately Toyota online has a horrendous timeout issue,  I have a permanent,  car WiFi hotspot, and it's incapable of staying connected through that.

I've found that the report camera requires Toyota online to be enabled (as expected for a live database), however it is necessary to re-enable it on nearly every journey. 

I've given up in absolute frustration,  as really,  this is very amateur network config territory.

I use Android auto, especially now the store has opened up, although I still think the in car system does have some great features. 

As for map updates,  I used OTA and it was rapid, and without any issues. 

🙂

• Like 1

I just wish I could turn off the camera alert. Unfortunately it seems like it's impossible. There's a setting for it but it doesn't seem to work.

The only way to turn off the camera alert I have found is to turn off "beep" setting on general settings.

You do lose all beeps when you use the touch screen though.

Talking about speed cameras, I seem to have lost alerts since I updated the maps OTA. 

Is the only way to get them back is by updating the maps via USB?

On 6/25/2021 at 6:04 PM, frizzbee30 said:

I use Android auto, especially now the store has opened up, although I still think the in car system does have some great features. 

I've been using Android Auto since it first appeared in 2015. It's excellent today although far from perfect, ie, some of the Google tech it uses doesn't work too well at times: Google Assistant, for example, which sometimes doesn't work at all. And some apps like Spotify and WhatsApp don't show content or the voice commands don't work at times. Tricky integration I imagine.

So I regard AA as a work in progress with the expectation that some things won't from time to time until the next app update, and even then maybe not.

But I can't fault AA for the navigation features it offers using Google Maps. The minimalist simplicity of the interface on the head unit, the conversational way to engage with the voice AI, and the overall user experience are way ahead of Toyota's clunky interface and voice interactions.

I agree, though, that the Toyota nav system does have some nice features. I especially like the use of the dash display behind the steering wheel showing some of the nav instructions such as which exit on a roundabout to take or turn right in 100 metres etc with a visual.

Plus, the nice Tom Tom-like photo animation showing motorway exit lanes. (I'm sure I read somewhere that the latest map updates include some Tom Tom features if your nav system is Toyota Touch & Go 2.)

You don't get any of that with AA. Not yet anyway.

12 hours ago, Luke717 said:

I've been using Android Auto since it first appeared in 2015. It's excellent today although far from perfect, ie, some of the Google tech it uses doesn't work too well at times: Google Assistant, for example, which sometimes doesn't work at all. And some apps like Spotify and WhatsApp don't show content or the voice commands don't work at times. Tricky integration I imagine.

So I regard AA as a work in progress with the expectation that some things won't from time to time until the next app update, and even then maybe not.

But I can't fault AA for the navigation features it offers using Google Maps. The minimalist simplicity of the interface on the head unit, the conversational way to engage with the voice AI, and the overall user experience are way ahead of Toyota's clunky interface and voice interactions.

I agree, though, that the Toyota nav system does have some nice features. I especially like the use of the dash display behind the steering wheel showing some of the nav instructions such as which exit on a roundabout to take or turn right in 100 metres etc with a visual.

Plus, the nice Tom Tom-like photo animation showing motorway exit lanes. (I'm sure I read somewhere that the latest map updates include some Tom Tom features if your nav system is Toyota Touch & Go 2.)

You don't get any of that with AA. Not yet anyway.

You can use TomTom via Android auto & Apple carplay

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

You can use TomTom via Android auto & apple carplay

That's useful to know, thanks. I found Tom Tom's press release from April:

https://www.tomtom.com/press-room/general/26911/tomtom-amigo-now-available-on-android-auto/

Worth a look. I was a huge fan of Tom Tom up to a decade ago, owned a series of their sat navs. Then moved to Garmin before Android Auto appeared.

• 2 weeks later...

I have downloaded the latest map update to a memory stick.  When I plug it into the car it asks for an activation code, where do I get the code from?

40 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

I have downloaded the latest map update to a memory stick.  When I plug it into the car it asks for an activation code, where do I get the code from?

If you look at your order on the mytoyota page it’s shown in the detail

• Like 1

Thanks Paul.  Maps now installed, the whole process took one hour twenty minutes.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:55 AM, Trewithy said:

Thanks Paul.  Maps now installed, the hole process took one hour twenty minutes.

Excellent news

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Just tried to download 2021v1 map update but it only gives the option for OTA. There is no download to my PC and no activation code. In the past I have downloaded maps for my Auris and chr with no problems. Any ideas please. Thank you Bob.

5 minutes ago, Bob110023 said:

Hi. Just tried to download 2021v1 map update but it only gives the option for OTA. There is no download to my PC and no activation code. In the past I have downloaded maps for my Auris and chr with no problems. Any ideas please. Thank you Bob.

Have you tried .... https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eStore/2d7de30d-4dec-479d-be62-6b7879725bbf

Hi Alan. Yes I have tried using the e store which I have used for about 4 years with no problems. This time it does not give me the download option even though I have been sent the invoice for 0.00 and a thank you email.

Hi. Just had notification come through that the toyota Web site is experiencing problems please try again later. Thank you for your help.

Now updated to 2021v1. Tested it today and found some of the speed camera alerts did not sound until just going past the camera, a bit too late. Good job I am not a speedy person.😡🤣

I can also comment that the routing on this update is really screwy. 

my normal journey into London it want to route me in very odd ways. 

waiting for update v2 to see if it fixes it

Hi. Very disappointed with the recent 2021v1 map update carried out using USB. Tried a destination today since the update and ended up with a frozen screen for the last three miles. The correct voice instructions carried on regardless as did the dash information. When I reached the destination had to switch the car off and back on to reset the display. It was fine until I updated the map. Will try another destination tomorrow. 😡

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links