Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CHR disappointment

SunnySky

Being a diesel driver most of my working life and now retired, I knew I would have to make compromises in moving to the CHR. It is a completely different driving method and experience. I driven thousands of miles in a Golf GTD DSC and it was a good car but I would not say it was streets ahead of a Toyota, just different. 

You should probably take notice of your GF because she has sensibly got the measure of the CHR and it's merits but it has gone straight over the top of your head so there is not much point trying to defend the Toyota to you because you are biased towards the VW. 

Just remember that Toyota are way ahead of VW in build, reliability, and aftercare service. Toyota's warranty is better, the maintenance costs are far less than the VW and IMHO the Toyota quality is on a par with VW and I would definitely say a far better platform than the VW.

Check out some American and Aussie sites and see their views between the Toyota brand and the VW's. Toyota Have not become the biggest manufacturer and the most popular seller of cars in the world for nothing.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SunnySky said:

Yes ID4 is budget..same as Up or Lupto,Fox etc it's a sad but it's the new business model of most manuacturers budget range mini SUV crossovers but Golf,Tiguan are still very well made,Tiguan specially feels and looks nicer and more refined than competing RAV 4.(unfortunately more expensive than our budget at the time but I'm thinking about it after this disappointment and GF insisting on a SUV style car.

my GF is also happy with CHR .she don't really care about it being slow and inferior inside quality and feel vs the Golf etc but I just can't cope with it.

maybe if I had an inferior car before it I'd be happy with it but the driving experience vs Golf is definitely a downgrade..

The important thing is the GF is happy it’s her car. The wife is so looking forward to getting hers and she will be doing 15/20k a year so important she is happy with it. 👍

I think the RAV4 is actually one of the best looking SUVs out there.   Most of the car reviewers think so too.

10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Cheers Andy,

I am in the trade since long time and have some experience, the golf R is a great car, performance wise no complains, however it is dsg and tsi, this is a deadly combination for someone like me that drives 200+ Miles a day every day, I have my reason to stick with Toyota hybrids, I am not a fanboy at all but realistic. I like vw, even I was a fanboy of them, I worked with them and on them and after all I seen I am not gonna get any closer to them anytime soon. Not saying they does not drive well, yes they do, they are lovely, they have built strong bodies, best sound proof, best suspension set up, design is good on most of them, but they don’t last, and require a stupid maintenance., expensive and unnecessary. As I said if you like it and fits your personal preferences and budget, yes why not. 👍 

Tony 

At legal speeds I could regularly get 40mpg on a motorway run in the R using adaptive cruise control  (that’s checking brim to brim) when having “fun” high 20s low 30s. As I’ve said previously I’ve never had an issue with a DSG and did over 100,000 miles in an early one circa 2005ish. I’m happy with the choice of the C-HR and it looks like excellent value and not much else looks like it , although the Nissan Juke is trying copy it’s looks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I think the RAV4 is actually one of the best looking SUVs out there.   Most of the car reviewers think so too.

Whilst looking at the C-HR we sat in a RAV 4 , very nice but the wife felt it was too big for her and in her words “not as sporty looking” as the C-HR, it’s also grown enormously since I remember the 1st generation coming out, it felt nearly as big as the  LandCruiser we used to drive in the deserts in Oman when I worked out there a few years back. 

• Like 1

Aye.  We wanted a family car and originally went to look at a Corolla estate but both the wife and daughter loved the openness of the rav and the room in the back.

I liked the way it felt smooth and cossetting.  My current car is a Focus mk4 stlinex.  It's quick, well equipped, looks good, etc but I've realised I don't want rock hard suspension anymore.  I was really impressed how the rav handled corners for such a big car, totally different from SUVs of old.  That swung it for me tbh.

Mind you I have to smile, watching some YouTube videos on the car and in America it's described as a "small SUV" 😂

As others have said, you would be far happier with the 2.0. I'm looking to get the Chr next summer and it has to be the 2.0. The 1.8 will be underpower for my needs for sure. 

Many people says 1.8 Toyota hybrids from 2016-> are slow, but I often see Priuses, Corollas and CHrs are taking off traffic lights like on rally start, I know how to recognise the. 2.0 ones and Prius is only available with 1.8 , so no errors here. 
Have a question to owners of 1.8 hybrids from 2016 who had previously 1.8 from 2010-2015, which one is faster? 
Thanks 🙏 

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Many people says 1.8 Toyota hybrids from 2016-> are slow, but I often see Priuses, Corollas and CHrs are taking off traffic lights like on rally start, I know how to recognise the. 2.0 ones and Prius is only available with 1.8 , so no errors here. 
Have a question to owners of 1.8 hybrids from 2016 who had previously 1.8 from 2010-2015, which one is faster? 
Thanks 🙏 

I can't answer your question pre 2016. I have not driven the 2.0 but imho I find the 1.8 is quite sufficient and a tad underestimated by the motoring press.

My question is why buy a hybrid with a 2.0 engine, sort of defeats the objective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just two points to add to this lively and interesting debate:

1. Why the need for speed?  get to the next traffic lights quicker? Or the next trio of recalcitrant cyclists? Traffic congestion in the UK is now so seriously bad that you're far better off giving yourself more time and enjoying the ride. And, by the way, the urban limit is still 30mph !

2. As mentioned by one correspondent, cruising at 60 means the engine hardly ever works hard and fuel savings are huge.  I like the sporty feel in the other two modes but am quite happy with the Eco setting.  

So why not face the future?  ICE are on the way out. Hybrid is here for more years yet. Toyota make the best there are and at affordable prices with good resale values. 

I just love it, though, when the speed merchants zoom past and before long  I pull up alongside them at the lights and flick a superior smile. So maybe we should just enjoy that sport and our good sense?

• Like 4

It's not that at all.  I doubt the average hybrid driver cares about tlgps.  It's about being able to accelerate on an uphill sliproad fully loaded and join the motorway at a matching, safe 60mph without feeling like it's a struggle.

It's why I bought the 182bhp version of the car I have now, not the 150bhp version.

You may also find the more powerful engines are differently geared such that at motorway speeds they'll be doing lower rpms and better mpg.

So similarly, is the 2.0 better in some situations as it doesn't have to work as hard to either charge or drive the car?

• Like 1

It’s all about individual choices. Yugguy likes to drive with 182bhp, others are ok with 150bhp. Mine has 122bhp and I am happy with that.

17 hours ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Just two points to add to this lively and interesting debate:

1. Why the need for speed?  get to the next traffic lights quicker? Or the next trio of recalcitrant cyclists? Traffic congestion in the UK is now so seriously bad that you're far better off giving yourself more time and enjoying the ride. And, by the way, the urban limit is still 30mph !

2. As mentioned by one correspondent, cruising at 60 means the engine hardly ever works hard and fuel savings are huge.  I like the sporty feel in the other two modes but am quite happy with the Eco setting.  

So why not face the future?  ICE are on the way out. Hybrid is here for more years yet. Toyota make the best there are and at affordable prices with good resale values. 

I just love it, though, when the speed merchants zoom past and before long  I pull up alongside them at the lights and flick a superior smile. So maybe we should just enjoy that sport and our good sense?

After many years of “performance cars” which I could rarely use to  a fraction of their potential due to  , safety , legal speed  , traffic congestion  etc the C-HR has introduced the interest into driving of getting the best MPG by thinking well ahead , driving smoothly and sticking to legal limits. As you say the folks who risk life and limb to get past you are generally caught at the next junction or lights. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 4:00 PM, TonyHSD said:

Thanks 🙏 

I’d be interested to know how to tell the difference between a 1.8 and 2.0 C-HR externally? The only way I know to distinguish them apart is to look inside as the gear selector on the 1.8 has the B mode and the 2.0 has no B but the S +/- settings and the boot is deeper in a 1.8 due to the 12v Battery in the boot on the 2.0.  

1 hour ago, AndyRC said:

I’d be interested to know how to tell the difference between a 1.8 and 2.0 C-HR externally? The only way I know to distinguish them apart is to look inside as the gear selector on the 1.8 has the B mode and the 2.0 has no B but the S +/- settings and the boot is deeper in a 1.8 due to the 12v battery in the boot on the 2.0.  

Hi, I mean I have seen mostly older model Chr that were available with 1.8 hybrid only. The difference between 1.8 and 2.0 is in the rear bumper, 2.0 has chrome surrounds , something like a big fake exhaust. 👍

• Like 1

It is an interesting debate.  It was only the introduction of the 2.0 hybrid in the Corolla that made me consider and test drive it.

44 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, I mean I have seen mostly older model Chr that were available with 1.8 hybrid only. The difference between 1.8 and 2.0 is in the rear bumper, 2.0 has chrome surrounds , something like a big fake exhaust. 👍

I’ll keep my eyes peeled , I hadn’t noticed the bumper trim difference 👍

28 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It is an interesting debate.  It was only the introduction of the 2.0 hybrid in the Corolla that made me consider and test drive it.

Was the 2.0 only introduced in 2020? It will be interesting to see how the mpg  of the 2.0 compares to the 1.8 over the longer term, I think the traction Battery is a larger capacity on the 2.0 so more potential for EV mode ? 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:00 PM, SunnySky said:

I owned a 2016 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Automatic DSG and was happy, gf really liked a "suv' type car and the looks of CHR so in the end we replaced the Golf with a 2018 CHR Automatic CVT 1.8.(instant regret from my side)

why is this car so slow? I never owned a CVT transmission but it's such an inferior system compared to VW's DSG,are all CVTs like this? can't be?

I really don't like the car performance overall, it feels heavy and is really slow.now I'm not expecting BMW performannce and I'm not comparing it to a Golf GTI but even compared to a 1.6 Automatic ordinary Golf it feels such a downgrade.also the interior feels very tight and claustrophobic.

the build quality and internal quality of the Golf was in the different league too.sadly it seems I'm stuck with this as gf likes the form factor,but I wonder what's other owners opinion about CHR compared to their previous cars?

Are you feeling any more “love” for the C-HR now you have had more time with it 🤔

2 hours ago, AndyRC said:

Was the 2.0 only introduced in 2020? It will be interesting to see how the mpg  of the 2.0 compares to the 1.8 over the longer term, I think the traction battery is a larger capacity on the 2.0 so more potential for EV mode ? 

Yes I think so, the 2.0 came a year after Corolla 2.0 hybrid. Tbh the 1.8 will always be the more efficient option especially in town driving. The 1.8 uses less petrol, Battery is smaller but the car is lighter than 2.0 , on motorways will still be at low rpm because it doesn’t use gears and the electric motor helps all the time. Yes, it’s slower on acceleration but on hard acceleration only, when pushed to the limit and then the bigger more powerful engine will have more torque to propel faster. Day to day use 1.8 is perfect for most people, where the 2.0 will suit more someone who travels a lot on motorways at faster speeds , drives fully loaded often with people or luggage and likes more punch when needed. I haven’t try either of these yet but I enjoy my old 1.8 hybrid everyday on motorways, it’s not bad, it feels like 1.6 d from other makes even better. There might be a new Prius soon with new drivetrain gen 5, perhaps will have smaller variety of your 2.0 dynamic force engine and high capacity Battery

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

Was the 2.0 only introduced in 2020?

The 2.0 hybrid was announced in October 2019 for the 2020 model year. The 1.2T was dropped.

I bought a 2 litre C-HR at the end of 2019 and have been really happy with it. 45mpg around town, and up to 60mpg + on a run. Plenty of performance for me and possibly more relaxing on a run as it isn't trying so hard as a 1.8, although I haven't had a run in one of those. The only downside for me is that it is really a 2+2, especially with me being 6' 1", with not much legroom behind me. 

Due to change in my circumstances I now need the extra room, so have ordered a RAV4, but will be looking back on the C-HR with food memories. 

Colin

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 5:05 PM, Yugguy1970 said:

It's not that at all.  I doubt the average hybrid driver cares about tlgps.  It's about being able to accelerate on an uphill sliproad fully loaded and join the motorway at a matching, safe 60mph without feeling like it's a struggle.

It's why I bought the 182bhp version of the car I have now, not the 150bhp version.

You may also find the more powerful engines are differently geared such that at motorway speeds they'll be doing lower rpms and better mpg.

So similarly, is the 2.0 better in some situations as it doesn't have to work as hard to either charge or drive the car?

Have to say that even in Ecomode I use the M1 and the A61 near my home very frequently. The latter has a steep up ramp and I have no problem getting to 70 before joining the dual carriageway where I usually set cruise control without radar at 66mph and enjoy a relaxed drive to the Sheffield boundary. Lots of big SUVs usually pass me along with the usual GolF/Civic speed merchants and I quite often see them again at one of the two roundabouts before the Sheffield ring road. It amuses me when they fail to use the lanes advantageously and I go past them without queuing. Speed and journey management aren't always about car performance and much is about reading the road ahead and driving efficiently in the road space. Driving with a Toyota hybrid (I can't speak for other makes) means always lifting off and coasting wherever possible, braking only when necessary, and planning your manoeuvres so as to minimise stationary time. I keep my info/data on actual consumption and it's amazing how much you can see the 100mpg reading meaning the engine is virtually switched off. It means I get averages of 59+mpg  all the time in mixed urban/rural driving....but I'm told by the service team I should use my brakes hard from time to time to stop them rusting!  When I was a police driver several decades ago it was a matter of pride not to spill a drink positioned on the top of the dash. Gentle breaking became a habit. Although when I was rallying in my Volvo 122S it was a different story. 

• Like 4

David, is you CHR the 1.8 or the 2.0.?

Oh aye don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to trying to hyper the mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links