Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Almost to say goodbye

Anthony Poli

So, Anthony, how is that going to work for charging, or are you recharging at work.

54 minutes ago, Catlover said:

So, Anthony, how is that going to work for charging, or are you recharging at work.

I am going to get a home charger and switch to a new tariff. Most of the week my mileage is at most 50 miles and weekends it's 100 miles. The estimated costs would be £3.50, spread over the week.

Like with most things, we will have to see how the estimate compares with reality.

I do long trips and the other half likes to stop frequently, so that could be a benefit as for not having to worry about range.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Looking like an early Christmas present to myself, 7th of December.

Added bonus is, it will have the extras like a little bigger Battery, all heated seats and steering wheel. Hopefully without loosing the 0.5 seconds 0-60 time lol

The fly in the ointment is, the home charger might be an expensive bit.  Looped supply and ancient fuse box. 

Sadly I chickened out and got 2 new tyres on the Toyota, but not going to spend money on a tyre pressure sensor, one sensor is leaking between the valve stem and the rim. Mr T quote 180 quid.

i hope you enjoy your new car ,for me we arent ready for full EV vehicles yet

and like already said the hybrid is the best compromise at the moment,

a neighbour took me out in his 6mth old model3 performance (£68k ish) and i must say the tesla

didnt live up to expectations  i thought it would be far better than it was,

yes it was fast @ 2.3 secs 0-62 but the build quality wasnt  a patch on toyota /

lexus and the quality of some of the plastics was poor to say the least when you

consider the cost of a tesla you should be getting premium materials.

i have to say tesla are there with the milage range and have always been the leaders

in ev miles.

enjoy your new car when it arrives

• Like 1

I just couldn't live with a Tesla - I love the drivetrain technology, but the HMI is terrible - I need physical controls! IMHO trying to use a touch-screen, esp with no tactile feedback, while the car is moving is just dangerous, and on a bumpy road it is nigh impossible - I can't even pick songs via the touch-screen on my Mk4 accurately; It's much easier using the jog dials or the steering controls. Plus every time there is a software update, they move things around... it would drive me insane!

I hate that VW are starting to do this too - I really hope Toyota does not follow...

• Like 3

On 11/13/2021 at 2:18 PM, 1.8 hybrid said:

i hope you enjoy your new car ,for me we arent ready for full EV vehicles yet

and like already said the hybrid is the best compromise at the moment,

a neighbour took me out in his 6mth old model3 performance (£68k ish) and i must say the tesla

didnt live up to expectations  i thought it would be far better than it was,

yes it was fast @ 2.3 secs 0-62 but the build quality wasnt  a patch on toyota /

lexus and the quality of some of the plastics was poor to say the least when you

consider the cost of a tesla you should be getting premium materials.

i have to say tesla are there with the milage range and have always been the leaders

in ev miles.

enjoy your new car when it arrives

From my own Toyota  cars, the build quality had gone down and the support for in car entertainment/sat nav is terrible. The latest offerings don't appeal to me.

This is just my opinion and everyone will have theirs.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:10 PM, Cyker said:

I just couldn't live with a Tesla - I love the drivetrain technology, but the HMI is terrible - I need physical controls! IMHO trying to use a touch-screen, esp with no tactile feedback, while the car is moving is just dangerous, and on a bumpy road it is nigh impossible - I can't even pick songs via the touch-screen on my Mk4 accurately; It's much easier using the jog dials or the steering controls. Plus every time there is a software update, they move things around... it would drive me insane!

I hate that VW are starting to do this too - I really hope Toyota does not follow...

I will report back on the control of things, using the voice control/ steering wheel controls / touchscreen. 

From the short test drive, I tried changing the destination in the sat nav. one touch compared to my current one, which is at least 3 touches just to return home. Felt like it was instant. 

Ha! I hope the voice control works better than in my Mk4 :laugh: 

I tried to call my bro on the way up to his house and I swear it tried to call everyone else except him :oops: 

At least it understands "CANCEL!! CANCEL!!! CANCEL YOU £$&%"$%#@"£" :laugh: 

One nice thing about the newer Teslas is they've beefed up the processors in the touchscreen a lot compared to the old ones, so they're a lot more responsive. The old ones were annoyingly laggy... esp. as they got software updates!

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday is the day, when I drive the Auris for the last time and swap it for the Model 3.

Just out of curiosity how many hybrid owners are using the super unleaded now the E10 has come out?

I know cold weather makes a difference to mpg, but using the E10 has reduced my miles per tank by 50-70 miles and that was before the temperature got below  double digits.

E10 didn’t make any significant difference in consumption to me and my driving however performance is day and night,. I use only E5 more than a month now and the car drives really well without any problems, range is down to around 425 miles but this is because of the cold and the way I use the car, otherwise all good. E10 it’s a false co2 saver, just another nonsense thing from the govs 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

E10 didn’t make any significant difference in consumption to me and my driving however performance is day and night,. I use only E5 more than a month now and the car drives really well without any problems, range is down to around 425 miles but this is because of the cold and the way I use the car, otherwise all good. E10 it’s a false co2 saver, just another nonsense thing from the govs 

When we had our 2013 Yaris hybrid, I did manage to get to 475 miles on a tank in summer, I was amazed that some had managed over 520 miles.

My first 2010 Auris I had managed 494 miles, but the newer 2015 Auris could only manage 450 miles. In the colder times I still manage over 400.

Since using the E10, the engine is louder than before and the motorway economy has the biggest hit.

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

E10 it’s a false co2 saver, just another nonsense thing from the govs 

I think, overall, E10 is green washing. @AndrueC made the point about where does the CO² come from, in ethanol it comes from the atmosphere, so it's recycling CO², but where does the ethanol come from ? Commonly from corn (Maize) in the USA, other places it would be sugar cane or sugar beet, I don't know if the water used for these plants is being consumed wisely, what are the pesticides and herbicides used, the questions go on. 

Does anybody know if there is a complete study about all that ?

Edited by Stopeter44
tidying
  • Like 3

old habits,intended to put some 99 in,picked up wrong pump,next time,though car runs fine and I stopped watching mpg after buying.

Yeah, if they'd gone down the sustainability angle it would be more believable, but its 'green' credentials are tenuous at best.

I think newer cars where the engines were designed to run on E10 do better with it - I honestly can't tell any difference between V-Power and E10; My last tank of fuel before the switch to E10 was V-Power, and putting in the V-Power I didn't notice any difference to the E5 Sainsburys fuel, used before hand, and haven't noticed anything running E10 since.

Admittedly I'm fairly new to dailying a hybrid, and I suspect the HSD masks a lot of what goes on with the engine. The car in general is a lot more abstracted than my old beloved Mk1!

I have lost a chunk of mpg - Was hitting the low 80's before, but that was also in summer so some of the drop can be attributed to the cold weather. And to be fair, if I just drive with a teeensy bit more restraint it brings the mpg back up again; Currently at 74-75ish mpg, which is still damned good!!

Sitting in long slow queues delivers a bigger hit to the mpg in the cold too - The Battery seems to run down faster and the engine cools down faster so it then wastes more fuel warming itself up and recharging the Battery. In summer, once it hit 4-bars of heat it'd basically stay there even if I was stationary for ages, but now I can watch it drop to 3 then 2 bars quite quickly when stopped, esp. if the HVAC is on!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, if they'd gone down the sustainability angle it would be more believable, but its 'green' credentials are tenuous at best.

I think newer cars where the engines were designed to run on E10 do better with it - I honestly can't tell any difference between V-Power and E10; My last tank of fuel before the switch to E10 was V-Power, and putting in the V-Power I didn't notice any difference to the E5 Sainsburys fuel, used before hand, and haven't noticed anything running E10 since.

Admittedly I'm fairly new to dailying a hybrid, and I suspect the HSD masks a lot of what goes on with the engine. The car in general is a lot more abstracted than my old beloved Mk1!

I have lost a chunk of mpg - Was hitting the low 80's before, but that was also in summer so some of the drop can be attributed to the cold weather. And to be fair, if I just drive with a teeensy bit more restraint it brings the mpg back up again; Currently at 74-75ish mpg, which is still damned good!!

Sitting in long slow queues delivers a bigger hit to the mpg in the cold too - The battery seems to run down faster and the engine cools down faster so it then wastes more fuel warming itself up and recharging the battery. In summer, once it hit 4-bars of heat it'd basically stay there even if I was stationary for ages, but now I can watch it drop to 3 then 2 bars quite quickly when stopped, esp. if the HVAC is on!

Newer cars shouldn't be effected as much. 

In the cold weather and it's just me, I leave the heating off if the windscreen is clear and enjoy the heated seat.

My other trick is keeping a window vac in the boot, to remove a lot of the condensation, instead of using the HVAC, the effect lasts much longer.

• Like 1

Yea, I wasn't too bothered about the omission of heated seats and wheel in the UK-spec Mk4, but now that I see how the car struggles to heat the cabin the conventional way I'm seeing their value!!

I sooooo wish they had made an "...and the Kitchen-sink" model...! :laugh: 

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Sitting in long slow queues delivers a bigger hit to the mpg in the cold too - The battery seems to run down faster and the engine cools down faster so it then wastes more fuel warming itself up and recharging the battery. In summer, once it hit 4-bars of heat it'd basically stay there even if I was stationary for ages, but now I can watch it drop to 3 then 2 bars quite quickly when stopped, esp. if the HVAC is on!

Yep, same here. Can't keep engine temperature at all around town. It's always at 2 bars on the temp guage as opposed to the usual 4 when the weather is warmer.

• Like 3

Picked up the new car today and I'm happy with it.

Remembered to erase my data from the old car.

Still trying to reach for the handbrake and the little joystick like in the Auris lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2021 at 3:55 PM, Catlover said:

Now I have the car, I have been using Tesla superchargers. I have to approach the neighbors about getting the mains supply unlooped, before I get a charge point installed at home. 

At 37p per KWhr, it's about 50% cheaper or more to charge and drive the same kind distance than I was doing with the Auris, since the E10 came out. At some point I'll try the free charger at Tesco for a top up. the longest I have been charging for is 20-25 minutes, so no real inconvenience. The big test will be on Christmas eve. Driving from Preston to Manchester and ending up in Cambridge, then returning after boxing day. The last time in the Auris the fuel cost was £95.

Since I'm still getting used to gauging the Battery levels  and miles left, I have been more cautious than I need to be.

• Like 4

On 12/7/2021 at 6:51 PM, Anthony Poli said:

Picked up the new car today and I'm happy with it.

Remembered to erase my data from the old car.

Still trying to reach for the handbrake and the little joystick like in the Auris lol

Haha, old habits die hard!!

I still catch myself going for the clutch when braking sometimes and end up trying to push on the dead-pedal instead :laugh: 

And good on you for remembering to 'factory wipe' the car - People often forget and dealers never seem to do this either!!

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

Haha, old habits die hard!!

I still catch myself going for the clutch when braking sometimes and end up trying to push on the dead-pedal instead :laugh: 

And good on you for remembering to 'factory wipe' the car - People often forget and dealers never seem to do this either!!

First Auris, I heard the previous owners voice, from When she paired her iPhone.

Second Auris, I know the previous owner had driven to France and quite few other places showing up on the sat nav.

I made sure no home location, work or any others. Also no phone numbers.

Even remembered to take out my dash cam memory cards and music on usb drive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Now my photo has been updated.

I learned something fascinating about the Tesla today, the body structure is made just like the old dinky toys ! This from the guardian :

Tesla build process / Elon Musk article

The article sites Toyota's just in time logistics approach, also, that Toyota has since modified to allow for more flexibility in the supply sequence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Now my photo has been updated.

Hey, you picked the same colour 👍 Recent years Tesla and Toyota both offers very nice blue and red colours, they are not my first choice but definitely I like them how they complement the shape of the cars. 👌🔋

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hey, you picked the same colour 👍 Recent years Tesla and Toyota both offers very nice blue and red colours, they are not my first choice but definitely I like them how they complement the shape of the cars. 👌🔋

Around here 8 out 10 Teslas are white.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links