Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 Design V Excel

Giagia13

Got my GAP from ALA with 25% discount from moneysavirngexpert.

I also noticed that Design and Excel have different types of batteries. Design has a Nickel Metal Battery vs Lithium-ion Battery on Excel.  Is Lithium-ion Battery  better ?

Different technologies and some benefits either way but over all Lithium-Ion is the way to go.

2 hours ago, atartan said:

I also noticed that Design and Excel have different types of batteries. Design has a Nickel Metal Battery vs Lithium-ion Battery on Excel.  Is Lithium-ion Battery  better ?

Are you sure? I could understand the HEV and PHEV using different Battery types or even potentially the 2wd and 4wd variants but not simply differing trim variants. Doesn’t make sense….. 

2 hours ago, atartan said:

Actually, at least one of those specifications is 'wrong'! 🙂

Toyota have been using NiMh batteries in their hybrids for years - more recently they have started using Li-ion. When I bought mine the HEVs had NiMh and the PHEVs had Li-ion. In other cases, models in different geographies could have either. But because the chemistries are different to get to the same overall capacity NiMh and Li-ion batteries use different numbers of cells and cell voltages. The current Design and Excel comparison suggests different chemistries but an identical cell count - so at least one of the specs is wrong ...

Either way it doesn't matter which Toyota put into your car - it will perform just the same and the Battery will have exactly the same warranty.

Why would a simple difference in trim mean a difference in drivetrain components?

Took delivery of my new RAV4 Excel 10 days ago and very happy with it, although like others would like a spare wheel, so would greatly appreciate if anyone knows where to get one and the foam cradle to fit it here in UK.  I will check with dealer but even if they can supply the wheel I doubt the boot cradle would be available since the Excel wheels are 19 inch and I don’t think Toyota supply a spare wheel for any of the 19 inch wheel RAV’s.

I’ve not been able to source an insert they are standard in the US so must be available.

3 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Are you sure? I could understand the HEV and PHEV using different battery types or even potentially the 2wd and 4wd variants but not simply differing trim variants. Doesn’t make sense….. 

1502225804_Screenshot2021-10-18at20_33_10.thumb.png.f69e58a681f9d62e3fc4b99199d67b16.png

This is from Toyota's web site.

The Lithium-Ion is the premium product they are phasing out Nickel Metal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, TJH2304 said:

Took delivery of my new RAV4 Excel 10 days ago and very happy with it, although like others would like a spare wheel, so would greatly appreciate if anyone knows where to get one and the foam cradle to fit it here in UK.  I will check with dealer but even if they can supply the wheel I doubt the boot cradle would be available since the Excel wheels are 19 inch and I don’t think Toyota supply a spare wheel for any of the 19 inch wheel RAV’s.

If you find out where you can source one or any other info would you please let me know, as I will be looking for one when mine turns up.

Thanks

Hi, 18 inch spare is within the percentage tolerance to use as a spare on a rav 4 with 19 inch wheels.

As far as the insert goes then you have 2 options I reckon.

1.  You will need someone who has a Rav with a spare to order the insert on their vehicle details for you. It has to be available as a spare part for vehicles with it as standard.

2. If you are DIY capable then buy 2 pieces of 100 mm celotex insulation and a can of spray adhesive plus a can of matt black spray paint.Glue the 2 pieces of celotex together and then carve the celotex out to fit the inner dish of the wheel.Then you can carve out the shape of the jack and jack handle plus wheel brace etc, etc . I used a large household knife for this plus wood chisels. Its like cutting butter.To finish off you spray the whole thing matt black.

I went for option 2 and it has been in place for nearly a year now with no problems.

If anyone is interested in option 2 I will post a picture of mine in place. Its not difficult at all

I am sure that someone on this site did actually source an original via a friends Rav and it cost big bucks. 
regards Terry

17 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Hi, 18 inch spare is within the percentage tolerance to use as a spare on a rav 4 with 19 inch wheels.

As far as the insert goes then you have 2 options I reckon.

1.  You will need someone who has a Rav with a spare to order the insert on their vehicle details for you. It has to be available as a spare part for vehicles with it as standard.

2. If you are DIY capable then buy 2 pieces of 100 mm celotex insulation and a can of spray adhesive plus a can of matt black spray paint.Glue the 2 pieces of celotex together and then carve the celotex out to fit the inner dish of the wheel.Then you can carve out the shape of the Jack and Jack handle plus wheel brace etc, etc . I used a large household knife for this plus wood chisels. Its like cutting butter.To finish off you spray the whole thing matt black.

I went for option 2 and it has been in place for nearly a year now with no problems.

If anyone is interested in option 2 I will post a picture of mine in place. Its not difficult at all

I am sure that someone on this site did actually source an original via a friends Rav and it cost big bucks. 
regards Terry

I would be interested in the picture please.

Are the tyres  235/55 r18 or 225/55 R18. If they are 235's do they fit under the floor shelf without any interference? 

Just to make sure we are both talking about the same size, I've posted an image showing the difference between the two.

1808321107_Wheelsize.thumb.jpg.f4a514338cca917985580e991bd0d6ba.jpg

Roger, I emailed Toyota and asked for the specs of the tyres for the Excel AWD I have ordered - they have confirmed it as 225 / 55 / R19 99V. 

There is a company tyremen.co.uk which is offering 18 inch space savers for the RAV4 2019-2021 ; from what I read (and possibly correlating with what Terry was saying above) an 18 inch space saver maybe acceptable .

I will call them in the next few days to clarify.

RAV4 with the 18 wheels has this tyre (my Design had them) 225/60/18, so not much difference in overall size between 18 and 19 wheels.
So, 18 with 225/60/18 will be fine as a temp spare for 19 with 225/55/29

Thanks for the replies, some of the 2021 models I have seen have had 235 tyres, I must admit I did a double take, as I have seen both sizes on the Excel, the current latest one seem to have 235’s.

I don’t have the car yet as I only ordered it the other week, so I was always going to wait and see what it has fitted but Toyota do seem to change their wheel quite often, I did fine it strange as the speedo would need to be set differently.

Georgios

How long did it take for the dealer to get back to you to confirm your order placement with Toyota?

Thanks again to you both for the info.

Hi Roger, I ordered my car online a couple of weeks ago . The information sheet I downloaded through the website - and then the Toyota agent who has been dealing with my purchase online - both have the specs as 225/55/R19.

The company I mentioned above offer a 155/85/R18 space saver which when input in the tire comparison websites seems to have a 1% difference in rolling diameter to the original specs so might be ok. To be honest I might buy it in advance …

Hi

Thanks for the order info, to be honest I would prefer a full sized wheel as I’ve ordered the AWD version but I will wait a bit before making a decision on it.

I think you'll find that the HEV is on 225 tyres, while the PHEV is on 235 tyres.

A T165/80D17 104M is 'correct' for an HEV; the PHEV wants something a little bigger. The tyremen space saver offering is a better choice for either/both.

PHEV, 235/55R19 101V, spare not fitted but spec’d at T165/90D 18 107M.

4 hours ago, Roger_N said:

I would be interested in the picture please.

Are the tyres  235/55 r18 or 225/55 R18. If they are 235's do they fit under the floor shelf without any interference? 

Just to make sure we are both talking about the same size, I've posted an image showing the difference between the two.

1808321107_Wheelsize.thumb.jpg.f4a514338cca917985580e991bd0d6ba.jpg

Hello, please find 2 pics attached. As you will see I have the 235/18 tyre. Yes it is a tight fit height wise. When you put the board back in you know you have a spare wheel underneath but it all goes back together nicely.

sorry but I personally can’t be doing with a skinny spare wheel though the first thing I will do is get the original fixed when home in the the event of a puncture.

If a 225 version will do then even better.

I did the whole thing for just over £200.

I am more than happy with the result and yes I did do a dummy run by fitting the new spare on the front and rear.

They ain’t half heavy though!!!!!!
Terry

9B73CB47-F379-4776-AC20-9BC715777DAF.jpeg

84BE6840-8CBC-4CAE-B583-586460D18775.jpeg

The 235/55R18 is standard for the 4.3 and 4.4 but not 'correct' for a 4.5 (HEV or PHEV) - but it will do perfectly well as a get you home spare ...

Yes but belt and braces and far better than a skinny if you are full load.

I used to do a lot of 300 plus mile runs across France with a full load almost every time and worst nightmare was a flat and having to fit a skinny and then carry on at 50mph max on French motorways.

And the thought of that can of gunk was even worse with a ferry to catch.

This whole spare wheel scenario needs a serious rethink by the manufacturers.

Only thing I would add is that in the case of a flat on a motorway then I would call the AA/RAC/ whoever and say there it is guys , change it please. I would even drive slowly on the hard shoulder to a safe place and trash the tyre rather than take risks with anyones life.

Terry

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links