Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Home Charger Grant

nlee

Had a survey done this morning - all good and "should" be completely free for the untethered hive charger. Survey submitted and someone will be in touch in the next 2 weeks to arrange fitting, free of charge... will update!

10 minutes ago, jamiem1987 said:

Had a survey done this morning - all good and "should" be completely free for the untethered hive charger. Survey submitted and someone will be in touch in the next 2 weeks to arrange fitting, free of charge... will update!

Jamie....is it the Hive EV charger they're fitting?

30 minutes ago, jamiem1987 said:

Hi. Was the survey a virtual one, did you do a live video or just photos?

I think I need extra fuse box wired into my garage so I’m hoping they will quote me for the extra work and not just say I’m not suitable. 

Hi all yes its the hive ev charger - it was an in person visit, guy only lived round the corner.

I don't have an rcd fusedboard so they are going to run from a spare slot on the existing fuseboard, to a single rcd board, then to the charger, this is included in the cost. It's common for older properties not to have rcd's so they don't stick any extra costs on. Will be interesting to hear if they charge extra for a fuse board to to garage.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

Just now, jamiem1987 said:

Hi all yes its the hive ev charger - it was an in person visit, guy only lived round the corner.

I don't have an rcd fusedboard so they are going to run from a spare slot on the existing fuseboard, to a single rcd board, then to the charger, this is included in the cost. It's common for older properties not to have rcd's so they don't stick any extra costs on. Will be interesting to hear if they charge extra for a fuse board to to garage.

Jamie

Great news! Thanks. I think mine will definitely need extra work. Keeping my fingers 🤞

On 1/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, George Dodds said:

After a couple of days chasing (5 days from application) Julia from BG rang today and have an online survey booked for 27th, hopefully you will hear from them soon. I asked but I'm reasonably sure they don't do home visits. 

Sorry I was wrong about not doing home visits as I've just realised that's what I have booked and not a virtual one. I'm so glad I will be able to chat the the BG electrician.

8 hours ago, jamiem1987 said:

Great news!  My survey is due next week and the engineer is visiting me, so not a virtual one. I'm hoping they can run a new cable (or use existing one) from my Fuseboard in the house into my garage around the corner and install a new fusebox for the EV, am willing to pay if necessary. 

More good news!

Received telephone call this morning (didn't need to call them) and survey arranged for Friday next week. They said that the electricity may be off for up to 2 hours - unlikely that will be necessary as house is only 10 years old but I'm sure they cover themselves just in case.

Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞

This might be of interest to those planning on a wall charger.

• Like 2

A good video for those think of getting the install done.

Just one thing that makes me smile, 25mm tails need fitting? Look at the main incoming cable, there is no way it has that size of cables inside (16mm tops) and it will be steel wire armored so possible less  how does that work, wiring ratings in the UK need a rethink.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, Lawnmowerman said:

More good news!

Received telephone call this morning (didn't need to call them) and survey arranged for Friday next week. They said that the electricity may be off for up to 2 hours - unlikely that will be necessary as house is only 10 years old but I'm sure they cover themselves just in case.

Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞

Me too on the same day. Well done 👍

• Like 1

Just an update.....had a remote survey carried out this afternoon, only took fifteen minutes. As previously mentioned, the Engineer told me that Toyota are paying for all of it so no issue with RAV4 PHEV not being on the government list. Now awaiting next communication from BG.

7 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Just an update.....had a remote survey carried out this afternoon, only took fifteen minutes. As previously mentioned, the Engineer told me that Toyota are paying for all of it so no issue with RAV4 PHEV not being on the government list. Now awaiting next communication from BG.

Good news.  Did they mention any details about how they would connect everything up, power from the meter, cables etc. ? 

Engineer said that it would likely be fed by a spur from the consumer unit. If that was not possible (though he thought it would be), they could power it directly from the meter.

He checked that the main supply fuse was 100A, asked where the water stop ***** was located (I assume for earthing?), looked at the consumer unit, electricity meter, gas meter and then checked what electrical appliances (cooker, shower etc) we had so they could estimate total possible load. That's about it.

12 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Engineer said that it would likely be fed by a spur from the consumer unit. If that was not possible (though he thought it would be), they could power it directly from the meter.

He checked that the main supply fuse was 100A, asked where the water stop ***** was located (I assume for earthing?), looked at the consumer unit, electricity meter, gas meter and then checked what electrical appliances (cooker, shower etc) we had so they could estimate total possible load. That's about it.

Hi. That sounds all good, thanks. I think my setup will need to run a new cable from the meter (in the house) to the garage under block paving to the garage, or use existing cable. I’m hoping they can do it if I pay. Many thanks for the info.

Engineer visited today from Scottish Gas. His visit was a full 2 1/2 hours (including coffee & biscuits).

Very thorough from checking the consumer unit to the cooker and the route required for the wiring (into loft and hence to the gable end of the house to the wall charger). He estimated cable required to be in the region of 20 metres. Detailed questions about all consumer units (down to curling tongs and hair straighteners - I should be so lucky) within the house, appraisal of heating system and noting of current used (max. 5kw for our air source heat pump for example). Down to the amount of bulbs and types within the property to allow calculation of total possible electricity consumption. Power was shut down 4 times to check veracity of wiring. Photographs taken of consumer unit and other details (which I have forgotten). All in all a very comprehensive health check of our electrical system. Only point of note was the casing for our consumer unit was plastic (which was allowed 10 years ago) but current legislation requires metal enclosures (though no necessity to change it). Earth system on plumbing was present but not considered a factor as it entered the property via alkathene piping.

Floor plan of house created and uploaded. Also went into the loft to establish wiring route (as consumer unit buried in the centre of the house - nowhere near an external wall). All sent off for evaluation. This seemed to be in marked contrast to the 15 minute video survey carried out elsewhere.

Hope this gives some clarity.

Now a waiting game for their response.

43 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Engineer visited today from Scottish Gas. His visit was a full 2 1/2 hours (including coffee & biscuits).

Very thorough from checking the consumer unit to the cooker and the route required for the wiring (into loft and hence to the gable end of the house to the wall charger). He estimated cable required to be in the region of 20 metres. Detailed questions about all consumer units (down to curling tongs and hair straighteners - I should be so lucky) within the house, appraisal of heating system and noting of current used (max. 5kw for our air source heat pump for example). Down to the amount of bulbs and types within the property to allow calculation of total possible electricity consumption. Power was shut down 4 times to check veracity of wiring. Photographs taken of consumer unit and other details (which I have forgotten). All in all a very comprehensive health check of our electrical system. Only point of note was the casing for our consumer unit was plastic (which was allowed 10 years ago) but current legislation requires metal enclosures (though no necessity to change it). Earth system on plumbing was present but not considered a factor as it entered the property via alkathene piping.

Floor plan of house created and uploaded. Also went into the loft to establish wiring route (as consumer unit buried in the centre of the house - nowhere near an external wall). All sent off for evaluation. This seemed to be in marked contrast to the 15 minute video survey carried out elsewhere.

Hope this gives some clarity.

Now a waiting game for their response.

Hi. I had BG here today as well. Dynamic Premium PHEV expected mid March. My EV survey looks very similar to yours. Mine is going up through the loft out the wall of the house, under ground (paving slab for 1 metre) and into a detached garage (around 20 metres of cable in total).

He crawled around my loft and said I may have to move the insulation when the time comes for the fitting. My wife asked him is it going to be expensive and he said yes.  I’m hoping Toyota may agree to pay the price, someone on another post said theirs was quoted as £500 and Toyota approved it. I’m happy to pay extra but my wife is not happy for it to be fitted, so I’m trying to convince her! unless I say it’s free 😂

I have a plastic consumer unit but nothing mentioned about that, I did ask but he said it was fine. BG were very thorough so could not fault them, arrived 0830 and left 1130 am.  He said my total amp use is 56 so had lots of spare to add 32 amps for the charger. I’m in Devon, he said it may take a little time to get the quote (3 weeks) then fitted around a week later once agreed. Here’s hoping all done by 31st March when grant finishes!🤞 I understand that the PHEV is not on the government list but I think Toyota are happy to pay, just not sure how much.
Will update when I know more. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Hi. I had BG here today as well. Dynamic Premium PHEV expected mid March. My EV survey looks very similar to yours. Mine is going up through the loft out the wall of the house, under ground (paving slab for 1 metre) and into a detached garage (around 20 metres of cable in total).

He crawled around my loft and said I may have to move the insulation when the time comes for the fitting. My wife asked him is it going to be expensive and he said yes.  I’m hoping Toyota may agree to pay the price, someone on another post said theirs was quoted as £500 and Toyota approved it. I’m happy to pay extra but my wife is not happy for it to be fitted, so I’m trying to convince her! unless I say it’s free 😂

I have a plastic consumer unit but nothing mentioned about that, I did ask but he said it was fine. BG were very thorough so could not fault them, arrived 0830 and left 1130 am.  He said my total amp use is 56 so had lots of spare to add 32 amps for the charger. I’m in Devon, he said it may take a little time to get the quote (3 weeks) then fitted around a week later once agreed. Here’s hoping all done by 31st March when grant finishes!🤞 I understand that the PHEV is not on the government list but I think Toyota are happy to pay, just not sure how much.
Will update when I know more. 

RAV 4 PHEV now on the grant list, it was updated on 21st January.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy427 said:

RAV 4 PHEV now on the grant list, it was updated on 21st January.

👍

George, why would you have to move your insulation? Electric cable should not be covered with insulation. 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, Hayzee said:

He checked that the main supply fuse was 100A,

I just checked mine, minimal run from meter box to consumer unit and no tell tale of a loop but the fuse was 80amp.

With 3 major appliances and an electric range cooker I would guess less than 20amp spare. 

Consumer unit has two 80amp breakers but plenty of space.  The house is approaching 10 years old. 

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I just checked mine, minimal run from meter box to consumer unit and no tell tale of a loop but the fuse was 80amp.

With 3 major appliances and an electric range cooker I would guess less than 20amp spare. 

Consumer unit has two 80amp breakers but plenty of space.  The house is approaching 10 years old. 

Roy

BG should be able to upgrade the master fuse if necessary, but they will confirm or otherwise.

• Thanks 1

It would depend on the size of your incoming cable but the local transform will also become another issue as more of these chargers are fitted.

Most electric showers are between 8-12KW these days add another 7.5KW on top and supplies lines are going to be pushed and it's no good saying they wouldn't be used at the same time.

37 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

t's no good saying they wouldn't be used at the same time.

Well time share may become a necessity. Control car charging through time switch and tariff. Just avoid a hot shower at that point. 🚿

At least we can be sure that the Minister for kitchen appliances is in touch with the Minister for Ovens and the Minister for Heat Exchangers who are consulting with the Minister for Green Energy and his opposite number in Cars. 

Not to mention National Grid. 

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Well time share may become a necessity. Control car charging through time switch and tariff. Just avoid a hot shower at that point. 🚿

At least we can be sure that the Minister for kitchen appliances is in touch with the Minister for Ovens and the Minister for Heat Exchangers who are consulting with the Minister for Green Energy and his opposite number in Cars. 

Not to mention National Grid. 

I wish they were that good but some how I doubt it. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links