Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla test drive

Spo2

Yeah don't %$( about, buy the 2.0.  If you're at all considering it now you'll wish you had later.

21 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

@forkingabout: Thanks Lee. Planning to go with what you have ordered but in Excel trim.

Good choice, I was between Excel & GR Sport trims.

I test drove a C-HR 1.8 Excel, it was nice & relaxing, the first test drive was a see if a C-HR fitted in my garage which it does.

I'm booked in for a test drive in a 2 litre C-HR later this week as the dealer didn't have one available the first time but said I could come back & take one out for a test drive whenever I was free. 

23 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks @Yugguy1970, inviting quotes, as my dealer quote is rather expensive.

Carwow gave me a great offer A few months ago which I took

was on a factory order and dealer was about 200 miles away from me

still worth it

1 minute ago, Woofwoof said:

Carwow gave me a great offer A few months ago which I took

was on a factory order and dealer was about 200 miles away from me

still worth it

Yes, using carwow as well. Seems some deealer have the vehicle in stock, so have enquired.  There should be good offer due to the change in reg plates soon?

I do about the same and lowest in the winter months is about 42/43 mpg rising to 52/53 mpg as the weather warms up. I do have a slow commute not over 30mph so faster roads will yield better results. 

Last 20 mile journey today was 67 mpg so they can be pretty good. 

For any journey, putter at truck speeds, avoid the cut and thrust, and arrive relaxed.  10 mph slower over 5 hours might extend you journey for less than an hour. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Seems some deealer have the vehicle in stock, so have enquired.  There should be good offer due to the change in reg plates soon?

My local dealer mentioned he had some cancelled orders due for delivery this month - but they will be 21.5 MY so have the older infotainment system fitted.

Also you have to make a choice from what someone else originally asked for in spec / colour. 

I went for a new 22 MY factory order to get exactly what I wanted. 

Just now, forkingabout said:

My local dealer mentioned he had some cancelled orders due for delivery this month - but they will be 21.5 MY so have the older infotainment system fitted.

Also you have to make a choice from what someone else originally asked for in spec / colour. 

I went for a new 22 MY factory order to get exactly what I wanted. 

Yep, these are the things that I have asked and not heard back yet. I would only take a MY22 car. My current car is only a couple of years old and will go with a free service as I put on the service plan, so don't mind waiting a bit.

The 2.0 is fun. Today I had a good blast along b roads, having to overtake the odd tractor and lorry. It was just effortless and the punch between 30mph and 60mph is really enjoyable. 

Glad I went for that one tbh. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Good choice, I was between Excel & GR Sport trims.

I test drove a C-HR 1.8 Excel, it was nice & relaxing, the first test drive was a see if a C-HR fitted in my garage which it does.

I'm booked in for a test drive in a 2 litre C-HR later this week as the dealer didn't have one available the first time but said I could come back & take one out for a test drive whenever I was free. 

I drove the both the 1.8 and the 2.0 C-HR. It was like chalk and cheese. The 1.8 seemed to whine on acceleration and seemed to take forever to get up to speed. Needless to say, I bought the 2.0. I find it was worth the extra money. I absolutely love it. 

Try and drive them one after the other and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I drove the both the 1.8 and the 2.0 C-HR. It was like chalk and cheese. The 1.8 seemed to whine on acceleration and seemed to take forever to get up to speed. Needless to say, I bought the 2.0. I find it was worth the extra money. I absolutely love it. 

Try and drive them one after the other and you'll see what I mean.

I felt the same trying 1.8 hatchback and then 2.0 TS. They just felt like different cars and I happened to like the 2.0 in the TS more. 1.8 is a great vehicle with its benefits just not my cup of tea. My goal was an economical, reasonably fun and loaded car, but not diesel. I don't really see a consumption difference between 2.0 TS and my previous Leon, which wasn't an estate btw. Did a trip up a mountain today, 6.5 l/100km at 100kph on cruise control. Trip back 3.9 l/100km. The only difference would be 10-15 cents per litre between diesel and petrol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

I felt the same trying 1.8 hatchback and then 2.0 TS. They just felt like different cars and I happened to like the 2.0 in the TS more. 1.8 is a great vehicle with its benefits just not my cup of tea. My goal was an economical, reasonably fun and loaded car, but not diesel. I don't really see a consumption difference between 2.0 TS and my previous Leon, which wasn't an estate btw. Did a trip up a mountain today, 6.5 l/100km at 100kph on cruise control. Trip back 3.9 l/100km. The only difference would be 10-15 cents per litre between diesel and petrol. 

I have a

Corolla HB/TS
Transmission
Manual (MT)
Engine
1.2 Petrol Turbo (116hp)

and its like poo off a shovel in all gears  , sorry will never drive a "scalextric" car as rediculous even half of one as rediculous.

And as smooth and comfortable as a really smooth and comfortable thing.

Roger

As someone that currently owns a turbocharged petrol direct injection 1.2 Peugeot 308, I will never own another turbocharged or direct injection only vehicle ever again as there just to troublesome for long term ownership.

Intake valves requiring carbon cleaning at 34k miles / 4 years old was the benefit of a lightly used direct injection petrol engine.

I have seen reports around the web of the 1.2 Toyota engine suffering from carbon build up on the intake valves to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

As someone that currently owns a turbocharged petrol direct injection 1.2 Peugeot 308, I will never own another turbocharged or direct injection only vehicle ever again as there just to troublesome for long term ownership.

Intake valves requiring carbon cleaning at 34k miles / 4 years old was the benefit of a lightly used direct injection petrol engine.

I have seen reports around the web of the 1.2 Toyota engine suffering from carbon build up on the intake valves to.

No doubt about it. 👍 Direct injection only are nothing but trouble. 

• Like 1

That's what is really exciting about the 2.0 re switching between direct injection and port injection. More complexity but might let you have the best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

I had the same engine in my 208, I owned it 6 years. The engine never gave me any bother, but its usual diet after 25k km was country roads and autoroutes. What was tiresome were the front brakes and shock absorbers all round that needed replacing after c. 60k km.

8 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

My goal was an economical, reasonably fun and loaded car, but not diesel. I don't really see a consumption difference between 2.0 TS and my previous Leon, which wasn't an estate btw. Did a trip up a mountain today, 6.5 l/100km at 100kph on cruise control. Trip back 3.9 l/100km.

That's a decent score, what would you have been looking at with the Leon ?

Whilst looking at new car choices, I was definitely not going to buy another diesel, and I wanted a significant reduction in fuel consumption, meaning less CO² emissions. It's quite shocking to see the CO² stated as kg per 100km, I was completely unaware until I started using www.spritmonitor.de to track fuel consumption. For instance your up and down the mountain trip would be c. 12 kg/100.

3 hours ago, ApophisAstros said:

I have a

Corolla HB/TS
Transmission
Manual (MT)
Engine
1.2 Petrol Turbo (116hp)

and its like poo off a shovel in all gears  , sorry will never drive a "scalextric" car as rediculous even half of one as rediculous.

And as smooth and comfortable as a really smooth and comfortable thing.

Roger

As long as you can find what you like. 

I would never buy a new manual transmission again.  Cruise control is also essential.  It's just a question of identifying your needs and choosing accordingly.  Making that choice of course is dependent on experience and advice. 

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

That's a decent score, what would you have been looking at with the Leon ?

Whilst looking at new car choices, I was definitely not going to buy another diesel, and I wanted a significant reduction in fuel consumption, meaning less CO² emissions. It's quite shocking to see the CO² stated as kg per 100km, I was completely unaware until I started using www.spritmonitor.de to track fuel consumption. For instance your up and down the mountain trip would be c. 12 kg/100.

Probably the same consumption on 2.0 diesel Leon, however Leon always had that engine hum and bit of vibration inside, at 120kph it was annoying, at 140 kph on cruise control it was unbearable. For me going with the hybrid was also a matter of a smooth and comfortable ride, even if the price was a tad bit higher fuel consumption, which I honestly think is very similar even on the highway where diesel absolutely shines. In the city diesel with the start/stop system was never a pleasant experience and I always ended up switching it off just to avoid that startup shake at every traffic light.

To be honest not concerned about emissions on an already very eco friendly car in the world where a smoking diesel is not uncommon on the road, even in Spain, how they even pass the test is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, RzrAzr said:

To be honest not concerned about emissions on an already very eco friendly car in the world where a smoking diesel is not uncommon on the road, even in Spain, how they even pass the test is beyond me. 

Similar story in France. Friends just sold their Clio III, because they struggled to get the car through the "Controle Technique", they live in a, soon to be, ULEZ zone.

5 minutes ago, RzrAzr said:

Probably the same consumption on 2.0 diesel Leon, however Leon always had that engine hum and bit of vibration inside, at 120kph it was annoying, at 140 kph on cruise control it was unbearable.

I thought the Spanish autoroutes were limited to 120 kph ? 

3 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I thought the Spanish autoroutes were limited to 120 kph ? 

It’s true, but on open straight stretches nobody really cares and everybody speeds, especially when you know where all the speed cams are. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, Roy124 said:

As long as you can find what you like. 

I would never buy a new manual transmission again.  Cruise control is also essential.  It's just a question of identifying your needs and choosing accordingly.  Making that choice of course is dependent on experience and advice. 

I have Radar controlled Cruise Control as well , super duper.

Roger

On 1/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, RzrAzr said:

It’s true, but on open straight stretches nobody really cares and everybody speeds, especially when you know where all the speed cams are. 

Its not that simple of knowing where cameras are , there could be portable ones , unmarked Police cars et all.

Roger

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, RzrAzr said:

Don't speed under motorway bridges. 

29 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Don't speed under motorway bridges. 

Good point, it's a while since I drove extensively on Spanish autoroutes, but I seem to recall seeing la Guardia parked on the bridges, once I went under them.

OTOH, I think @RzrAzr comments are firmly based on experience.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links