Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

It's an old trick, increase the price a lot, then reduce it a bit.

I rely on my car to get out at all,so no matter how expensive it gets, I have no choice but to buy fuel , so I don't worry about it.

Well I suppose I could buy a mobility scooter, apart from nowhere to keep it undercover, and being freezing cold in winter, and a new one costing more than a reasonable car.

• Like 2

I believe I've heard it described as "Goes up like a rocket, comes down like a feather" :laugh: 

• Like 1

During the whoa, no just kidding, during the transition from imperial to decimal currency, things did indeed double in price, well a lot of things did, not petrol though.

To reiterate my previous posts on this, I used to fill up my 105e Anglia at 30p a gallon, not a litre.

My uncle filled up his E93A Pop at 4 gallons for a quid previous to that.

Mind you,it was handy to carry around steel wire at the time to hold up falling off exhaust systems.

You could always find a fallen branch of a tree to jack it up.

Oh, how I miss the old days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How many Green Shield stamps was that worth? :laugh:

• Haha 1

Yes I remember them along with pink stamps. Books of green shield taken to the store and you had plenty of choice providing you had enough books.

I suppose it was like the Argos of its day good times sadly gone.

• Like 2

I went out with a girl who worked in the Green Shield stamp shop, she used to get some incredible bargains...........even me 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Bper said:

I suppose it was like the Argos of its day good times sadly gone.

Funny you should say that, I remember someone telling me Argos *is* the green shield stamp shop (Smeg try saying that three times fast after a few pints! :laugh: ), or at least the direct descendent of it!

So in a way it lives on! (And in a way that makes Nectar points the descendent of Green shield stamps! :laugh: )

• Haha 2

Local supermarket dropped there price today by a whole 1p.

Saw this today and had to laugh. Screenshot_NormalAppImage(2).thumb.png.f61669f865dc3863607ce34b6ea5b1c3.png

• Haha 3

Petrol down to £1.73p at local supermarket 2p lower then last Thursday. Well at least it is  slowly reducing week by week.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 3:52 PM, Cyker said:

I remember someone telling me Argos *is* the green shield stamp shop

Yes. Due to falling demand for Green Shield Stamps, they started accepting cash for gifts and then rebranded the stores as Argos. The Green Shield part of the business went into voluntary liquidation soon after. Argos now owned by Sainsburys.

• Like 3

For us that remember green shield stamps The guy who first started this in the UK got the idea from the USA back in the 1950s. His name was Richard Tompkins and he later went on to start Argos.

A book of stamps had 1,280 stamps in it and each one had a value of 6d or 2½p.

A picture of what they looked like.

greenshieldstamps2.jpg

• Like 2

As opposed to the green stamps in circulation today

american-currency-green-stock.jpg

• Haha 2

Local supermarket still £1.73p and does not seem to be changing. 

We came across petrol station 10 miles away £1.67p.

Anyone seen any further price drops.

It'll soon be down to £7 a gallon at this rate.

😂

• Haha 3

Lurpak 😱 , nowt wrong with rendered pig fat on white sliced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can remember filling up a Honda 90 bike for under 50 pence.

CyKer good price I paid £164.8 but that was 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Petrol at local supermarket Down to £171.9p but still high compared with elsewhere. What happened to them at one time being the lowest.

Still trying to figure out why these prices are not coming down quick enough considering there buying power. Surely it can't be greed can it.

• Like 1

M11 Abridge Shell now at 155.9!

Out of curiosity, I was just looking at my logs, and apparently my Mk4's first tank in May 2021 was 124.9

Going further back, my Mk2 1.33's cheapest was 99.9, May 2020

On the diesel front, my first Mk1 D4D's first tank was 102.9 in July 2009, but apparently the cheapest was in Jan 2016 at 99.9!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today 169.9p from local supermarket a drop of 2p over two weeks. Driving around Norfolk lowest price we have come across so far 163.2p.

Still not dropping fast enough. 🤔

Abridge Shell ran out of fuel at 152.9, went back the next day and it had re-opened but at 154.9 :crybaby:

To be fair I really think they should put their prices up as that poor village has gotten really congested thanks to cheap smegheads like me hunting down cheap prices and causing it to queue out on to the road! :oops: 

Makes me glad I can only fit in 26-28L so I get out PDQ! Some fun driving roads around there too :naughty: 

There are also signs to the Secret Nuclear Bunker! :laugh: 

* Pretty Darn Quick!

• Like 2

Why is there such a disparity between two counties. 152.9 p-169.9p. That's not a small difference. 

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Abridge Shell ran out of fuel at 152.9, went back the next day and it had re-opened but at 154.9 :crybaby:

To be fair I really think they should put their prices up as that poor village has gotten really congested thanks to cheap smegheads like me hunting down cheap prices and causing it to queue out on to the road! :oops: 

Makes me glad I can only fit in 26-28L so I get out PDQ! Some fun driving roads around there too :naughty: 

There are also signs to the Secret Nuclear Bunker! :laugh: 

* Pretty Darn Quick!

Ooh a secret nuclear bunker.

I like that, given the impending apocalypse according to the news.

We are ok here though,as the local labour club declared itself a nuclear free zone some years ago.

My poor old dad used to go there and fill the bandit with coins, but it has beer and used to have ham and cheese toasties.

When the sirens go, I am heading straight there and hope that I can get in the now barrier covered car park.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links