Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

On 3/7/2024 at 8:18 PM, Bper said:

Local Morrisons petrol price was 153.9p they have reduced this overnight to 143.9p a 10p drop.

Yes 10p drop.WTF.🙄

Well that's quite a ripped off to start with. Local to me is 140.9

Not local, according to Tomtom. 

Screenshot_2024-03-15-08-26-06-864_com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.thumb.jpg.bb379fa7e1708fe011c39b61292fcbdd.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Well that's quite a ripped off to start with. Local to me is 140.9

Not local, according to Tomtom. 

Screenshot_2024-03-15-08-26-06-864_com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.thumb.jpg.bb379fa7e1708fe011c39b61292fcbdd.jpg

Mojo, Morrisons 10p,drop had to come from somewhere, I suspect the company that have brought their garages may have advised them to drop the price to coincide with its pricing policy once they complete the deal.:smile:

• Like 1

Off the A1 we have been stable for a while.  Grantham Shell 144.9 a penny dearer than Sainsburys and Stamford Shell 143.9.  I have not checked their Morrisons as it is off my route.

The Shell £1 cash back from 10x£10 sips of petrol takes it below Sainsburys and there is no hardship, except a minute to refuel, dropping in as I pass.

• Like 1

I  don't normally quote the Shell up the road as since we moved here it has always been expensive. Just got back from shopping and Shell regular 157.9p.:sad:

Abridge Shell holding at 139.9; Also have locally made Cornish Pasties now, but the sausage rolls are still better :biggrin: 

• Like 2

147.9p per litre out our way.

• Like 1

Even after the UK switched to a decimal system, the practice of using tenths of a penny for petrol prices stuck around.However why not .5 .4 .3..8.7 why always .9?:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Bper said:

Even after the UK switched to a decimal system, the practice of using tenths of a penny for petrol prices stuck around.However why not .5 .4 .3..8.7 why always .9?:rolleyes:

It is a traditional marketing ploy based on many years of psychoanalysis.

many people think you are getting a bargain if you are buying £9.99 not £10 

its psycho babble 

• Like 1

Some of the independents do that - e.g. there's an Apple green down the road that always advertises that they have the lowest prices in the area, but what this actually means is if e.g. sainsburys is 139.9 they'll charge 139.7 :laugh: 

• Like 1

Local Morrisons petrol up from 143.9 to 144.9p:sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Local Morrisons up from 144.9p to 145.9p also noticed a number of other petrol stations some miles away that had previously been cheaper have also raised prices considerably.:sad:

• Like 1

I filled up today at 142.9p per litre

• Like 2

Morrisons up again from 145.9p to 146.9p :angry:

Monday, Morrisons petrol price up from 145.9p to 146.9p, but Wednesday less then two days later 148.9p. Thursday 149.9p If these price rises in a few days doesn't tell us that they are blatantly profiteering then I don't know what will. I've noticed petrol prices throughout the area are all going up. Why?:censored:

• Sad 1

Morrisons petrol price today now 150.9p, am I the only one who is seeing prices rise.:censored:

It's gone up 2p here since I last refuelled :sad: 

And my Abridge Shell has shot up - 151.9p! :eek: 

Where's that solar furnace James May talked about that would let us make fuel in our gardens?? :crybaby: 

• Like 1

At last some good news on the pump price front.  The Petrol Prices App has just been updated.  You can now search for prices for any, or a specific, brand, type of fuel and any area.  It used to be a small fixed area.

Now you can open the map, slew it, search here, then expand or recentre the map. 

For instance I prefer to use Shell and the points collected bring the price down by about 1.5p/ltr at the cost of refuelling £10 at a time, at more than 10 minute interval, and no more than 3 times in a day 😁.  Being retired time is not of the essence.

However today we need fuel and my route is devoid of Shell stations.  Using the App however I can see that I could go to Kettering and get Shell at 142.7 or Tesco at 142.9 (too far). I am going to Oakham and have a choice of Esson at 144.9, Coop at 145.9 and BP at 149.9.  If I wanted E5 it would be 155.2 at Esso and 166.9 at BP.

Given my route it will be the Coop that I shall go to.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

At last some good news on the pump price front.  The Petrol Prices App has just been updated.  You can now search for prices for any, or a specific, brand, type of fuel and any area.  It used to be a small fixed area.

Now you can open the map, slew it, search here, then expand or recentre the map. 

For instance I prefer to use Shell and the points collected bring the price down by about 1.5p/ltr at the cost of refuelling £10 at a time, at more than 10 minute interval, and no more than 3 times in a day 😁.  Being retired time is not of the essence.

However today we need fuel and my route is devoid of Shell stations.  Using the App however I can see that I could go to Kettering and get Shell at 142.7 or Tesco at 142.9 (too far). I am going to Oakham and have a choice of Esson at 144.9, Coop at 145.9 and BP at 149.9.  If I wanted E5 it would be 155.2 at Esso and 166.9 at BP.

Given my route it will be the Coop that I shall go to.

Roy, you mentioned Shell out local is currently 162.9p I don't normally mention this as their prices have always been high. :sad:

Bob. quite.  Three Shell stations I use are all run by Indians with the 4th, and frequently cheaper by English. 

Quite how prices can vary are a mystery.   I guess we can't do as the Yugoslavs under Tito did.  Two chains, one north one south and all prices fixed.

• Like 1

That's nothing! There are two lots of Shell stations on the A19 that are ~13 miles apart and the prices are almost the same amount in pence apart! (11p/litre difference!!)

A19 Exelby North & South are the cheapest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Bob. quite.  Three Shell stations I use are all run by Indians with the 4th, and frequently cheaper by English. 

Quite how prices can vary are a mystery.   I guess we can't do as the Yugoslavs under Tito did.  Two chains, one north one south and all prices fixed.

Roy,from memory Tito was imprisoned a good few times and I think many of these petrol station owners could do with the same.:smile: As far as the Shell stations being run by Indians they all come across as a bunch of cowboys.:laugh:

Why are petrol prices rising when I can't see any reason why. If someone does please let me know.?:sad:

1 hour ago, Bper said:

Why are petrol prices rising when I can't see any reason why. If someone does please let me know.?:sad:

Well actually they aren't around here.  Given the actual minimal competition,  6 in the town, including the BP cash cow on the A1, we have a BP and Shell at either end and in town an ASDA at the Shell end  with Sainsbury and Esso at the BP end.

None are easily accessible from any direction so the competition for access is halved. 

• Like 1

My nearest cheap fuel is Gulf on the A1 at 147.7 which it has been 'forever'.

What is the panel's view on Gulf as a fuel?

• Like 1

Passing our local Tesco last night, I noticed that petrol was 147.9p and diesel 155.9p per litre.

Why does the price always end with 0.9p?

Regarding Paul John’s comments about “psychoanalysis, the other day, on the web, I saw an ad that said a glass cleaner had ‘dethroned’ Autoglym, and “was well under £10 at £9.95”.   When you are paying £10 or more for anything, are we really expected to view a figure of 5p or less as a decision maker for buying/not buying the product?

• Like 2

149.9 looks better than 150.1

Filling with 50ltrs at the cheaper end saves a PENNY. 

Even going to a Shell station and buying 6.5ltr for £10 to get a reward point - a 2p/ltr difference only costs 13p extra.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links