Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Common rust area? - Mk2 sills

I noticed a small area of rust on my N/S sill located about halfway between the front passenger door. There is a similar circular type shape on the unaffected O/S sill.

Has anyone else experienced any similar rust issues with their MK2 sills, or know what might have caused this? TIA.

20220827_182856.jpg

20220827_182928.jpg

That has rusted due to damaged paint - sit in the seat and swing your legs out of the car, it either a heel mark or a walking stick, if it's a 3 door its rear seat passengers getting in/out

• Like 1

@flash22Thanks for the feedback. I didn't consider heel damage as being the cause. It's a 5-door and it was MOT'd recently with no advisories.

As a temporary measure, I applied some rust remedy to the affected area before taking the pics. I will look into getting it repaired and try and prevent it getting worse.

Despite the age of the car, I'd still like to keep it as long as it's economically viable.

I would agree with Bob re physical damage to the paint rather than rust coming from below.

I do see some bubbles around, maybe the rust has travelled a bit under the paint. 

Maybe a little bit more then, the usual touch up paint, wet sanding, compound using DA polisher. 

Probably will need a pro, rust has to be removed it may be a larger area. Primer too needed, maybe the whole side panel has to be repainted. 

On 8/31/2022 at 8:20 AM, m456an said:

Probably will need a pro, rust has to be removed it may be a larger area. Primer too needed, maybe the whole side panel has to be repainted. 

@m456anAgreed. I don't want it to look like a DIY bodge. I'm currently trying to fine someone reputable to do the job properly. Even though I'm considering replacing the car, I'll still get the repair done.

Is it in the exact same place on both sides, it seems that poor car has been neglected what with the P0016 and this rot

once you start getting into it, you don't know what other issues you may find, seems a very odd place

On 9/2/2022 at 5:13 PM, flash22 said:

Is it in the exact same place on both sides

Near enough, but nowhere as bad as the N/S (1st pic). Close up, there is only a small indentation on the O/S sill.

20220903_163445.thumb.jpg.75f3258e7f65d6dfa5a41b36d928b8d5.jpg20220903_163504.thumb.jpg.2528ba254cede22987d47e8cdd43f3eb.jpg

it seems that poor car has been neglected what with the P0016 and this rot

The car is kept well maintained and serviced regularly. It had new brake pads/shoes last month before being MOT'd. The rest of the bodywork still looks reasonable for its age.

20220903_163425.thumb.jpg.84757329c484acaef0d00fe2786325b8.jpg20220903_163340.thumb.jpg.19f4fac16b134b18266230b83ca3af28.jpg

once you start getting into it, you don't know what other issues you may find, seems a very odd place

I will try to take a closer look underneath later this week. Apart from accident damaged models, I've never seen another Mk2 with rusty sills. I'm concerned about opening a whole can of worms if I did decide to proceed with a repair.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links