Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid or Mazda 2 Hybrid

Jimota

I realise that this is a Toyota Owners Club Forum, however my knowledge of the brand is not very good and didn’t know that the Yaris hybrid is virtually identical to the Mazda 2 hybrid (I think).  My son is now interested in both models and will visit the showrooms this Saturday.  Can anyone give an objective view on how the models compare and whether they perform in the same way. 

Cheers

• Like 1

The Mazda is a Yaris borrowed for reason to lower mazda's company emission output or a big fine from the EU. So they are the same car, perform the same. 

Only differences in some equipments and price. I opted for the excel Yaris as its better value and got more of the things I want. Though the Yaris doesn't have the HUD option anymore which I really wanted. 

• Like 3

The Mazda 2 select, has it over the Yaris excel, the specs are very similar if not a little better - No light coloured interior, more paint colour choice and items like the HUD and wireless charging as standard

the Yaris is built in France from what info i can find, the Mazda is a Japanese built car

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

The Yaris is built in France from what info i can find, the Mazda is a Japanese built car

If that's correct then that's a massive plus point in the Mazdas favour. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

If that's correct then that's a massive plus point in the Mazdas favour. 

That immediately came to my mind 👍👌

• Like 3

Nope, it comes out of the French factory same as the others i had to go digging for that info

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bear in mind the Yaris-based Mazda 2 hybrid is a Europe only model, and is built in France by Toyota.

The original petrol Mazda 2 (2014 on) continues and that is built in Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Toyota comes with a ten-year warranty subject to servicing with the dealer. I don't think the Mazda will come with that amazing peace of mind.

Wow!  Thanks for the speedy response and constructive comments, it really is appreciated.  Not sure if the 10 year warranty for the Yaris would be deal breaker for my son so it will probably be decided on who can give the most competitive price.  Out of curiosity, I’ll probably go along with my son as this will be his first new car purchase.

Cheers

• Like 1

Yaris comes with space saver spare, Mazda doesn’t.

Yaris benefits from annual hybrid health check and subsequent Battery warranty. Not clear what Mazda may offer which would be similar.

• Like 1

When it comes to buying carwow tend to have one the best prices, or even better, get the dealer to beat carwow prices. 

I had some new company cars before, the mk4 Yaris excel will be the first new car I will own as well. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, W1P30UT said:

The Toyota comes with a ten-year warranty subject to servicing with the dealer. I don't think the Mazda will come with that amazing peace of mind.

3 years manufacturers, then it's on the relax warranty what excludes a lot of items

8 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Wow!  Thanks for the speedy response and constructive comments, it really is appreciated.  Not sure if the 10 year warranty for the Yaris would be deal breaker for my son so it will probably be decided on who can give the most competitive price.  Out of curiosity, I’ll probably go along with my son as this will be his first new car purchase.

Cheers

with the way the market is prices are a bit silly especially nearly new, what you need to take into account is build times, Toyota yaris is currently 33-68 weeks depending on specs

5 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Yaris comes with space saver spare, Mazda doesn’t.

Yaris benefits from annual hybrid health check and subsequent battery warranty. Not clear what Mazda may offer which would be similar.

A spare isn't the end of the world parts are easy to get hold of

Given that Toyota in general is top of the reliability tables I would imagine all their factories manufacture to the same standards.  

Hope so anyway, I have a Japanese built Rav but changing it for a Corolla built in Derby.

My son is waiting for the car wow quotes for the Mazda so he can compare them with the Toyota prices before approaching both dealerships.  Unfortunately, I’m still waiting for delivery of the new Yaris Cross so I can’t give any recommendations in regard to Toyota.  The plot thickens, as they say.  I’d also be delighted to receive any further comments or recommendations.

Cheers

54 minutes ago, flash22 said:

A spare isn't the end of the world parts are easy to get hold of

Not suggesting it is !
HUD may not be to some, or 16/17 inch wheels !

OP asked for ‘differences’, lack of spacesaver is one such difference.

16" rims improve the ride, 17-19" make it very choppy (and way more expensive to replace tyres)

• Like 2

Wow again!  Wheel sizes are always a bone of contention  for some people but my son hasn’t really thought about this issue.  I suppose the test drives will help him in his decision.

Cheers

Not all Yaris have a space saver wheel

The ones with a sun roof dont come with a spare wheel just a compressor and a tube of sealant

if you use the sealant then its a new tyre.

I didn't know the new Mazda 2 looked like this i havent seen one on the road.

Wheel/tyre sizes are down to mostly personal preference. I would be happy if the 16" had tyre size of 205/55/16, but no it's 195. Even though I don't like the sizewall of the excel tyre profile (205/45/17) I wanted the 205mm. That extra 10mm is important for me in terms of grip around bends, which I drive a lot in rural and country roads for my trips annually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I didn't know the new Mazda 2 looked like this i havent seen one on the road.

It always cracks me up when I see one - It's *literally* just a Yaris with Mazda badges instead of Toyota ones! :laugh:

I think this is the least effort I've ever seen in a car re-badge - It's literally the exact same car, built in the same factory, same panels, parts, paint, just with different badges stuck on! :laugh: 

Even the original Aygo/C1/107 had more effort put in to differentiate them, and those were supposed to be the ultimate cost-cutting built-on-a-budget cars!! :laugh: 

To be fair, if I didn't know, I would have thought the rebadge was the other way around as the Mk4 is definitely more Mazda-y than Toyota-y, so it kinda works!

56 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Wheel/tyre sizes are down to mostly personal preference. I would be happy if the 16" had tyre size of 205/55/16, but no it's 195. Even though I don't like the sizewall of the excel tyre profile (205/45/17) I wanted the 205mm. That extra 10mm is important for me in terms of grip around bends, which I drive a lot in rural and country roads for my trips annually. 

I will say even on the 185/65r15s on mine, the car is not wanting for grip in the corners :naughty: 

I think the main thing is tyre choice - Stick some Pilot Sport 4's or similar on it and it'll grip for days thanks to the excellent chassis and suspension improvements, even with narrower tyres.

I think the wider tyres would help tyre longevity tho' as I am just shredding the fronts I mean dang that stop start traffic and urban driving causing so much front tyre wear and also roundabouts :whistling1:

I must admit, the Mazda version is slightly more appealing to me - The smaller rims and dark interior I'd prefer over light interior and 17" rims that mine came with, and now especially as Toyota have dropped the HUD, it would be a slam-dunk for me to go with the Mazda if I was getting it right now!

It all depends on what you want - The Relax warranty is a big plus, but it does tie you to the dealer network, and if your local dealers suck that might not be such a plus.

Dealer location may also be a factor - There tend to be more Toyota dealers than Mazda ones, and for me serving at a Mazda dealer would be a bit of a ballache as I'd have to go way out of my way, whereas my Toyota dealer is on the way to work!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It always cracks me up when I see one - It's *literally* just a Yaris with Mazda badges instead of Toyota ones!

They didn't make any effort to hide it  :laugh:

• Haha 1

You're not wrong!!! Not even the slightest attempt! :laugh:

Hmm, I wonder if you swapped the badges back to Toyota ones could you also get the Relax warranty on it and get the best of both worlds...? :naughty:  :laugh: 

(Yes yes I am joking, I know full well the registration and VIN would (hopefully) stop them falling for that, before you say something - you know who you are you pedantic pedant! :tongue: :laugh: )

• Haha 1

Brands do it all the time,

Mazda 121 - Ford Fiesta,

C1,107 - Aygo,

Škoda citygo, SEAT Mii - VW UP!,

Aston cygnet - Toyota IQ

Most vans - something French

BMC - Austin, Morris, Wolseley, Riley, Vanden Plas, MG, Innocent

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links