Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Sign Assist - intermittent bug

Malcolm Preen

I've only had my car (Yaris Hybrid Design) since July.... but I've got a frustrating intermittent problem with Road Sign Assist...

It recognises the signs most of the time... and normally works as expected (giving a warning if you exceed the limit)... but sometimes.... it alerts at a lower speed.... for example 32 in a 50... 

Strangley enough, 32mph = 50kmh

I have seen similar issues in 30 and 40 mph zones

But as I said, its intermittent.... one day it'll fail as above... and the next day on the same road it'll be OK.

Feels like a software issue to me...

Any thoughts?

The car is going back to the dealer later in the week for them to investigate.... but its starting to frustrate...

Thanks, Malcolm

• Like 3

Frustrating Malcolm, hopefully the dealership will resolve it.

If it's any help, in mine I have been driving along a 30mph road and sometimes the RSA has picked up a 20mph sign at the end of a side street... I suspect this is what may be happening to yours. Its field of "vision" sometimes seems to be too "wide"...

• Like 4

I don't know if it's the same system as on mine but mine sometimes gets confused near car parks you can be on a 30-mph road and it flashes up 5 mph and warns you are going too fast.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CPN said:

If it's any help, in mine I have been driving along a 30mph road and sometimes the RSA has picked up a 20mph sign at the end of a side street... I suspect this is what may be happening to yours. Its field of "vision" sometimes seems to be too "wide"...

That could be the answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malcolm Preen said:

I've only had my car (Yaris Hybrid Design) since July.... but I've got a frustrating intermittent problem with Road Sign Assist...

It recognises the signs most of the time... and normally works as expected (giving a warning if you exceed the limit)... but sometimes.... it alerts at a lower speed.... for example 32 in a 50... 

Strangley enough, 32mph = 50kmh

I have seen similar issues in 30 and 40 mph zones

But as I said, its intermittent.... one day it'll fail as above... and the next day on the same road it'll be OK.

Feels like a software issue to me...

Any thoughts?

The car is going back to the dealer later in the week for them to investigate.... but its starting to frustrate...

Thanks, Malcolm

I have had the same issue with my Yaris Cross Excel. Intermittent and not seen it for a good few days now. Pretty sure it is a kph / mph glitch.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that I have never noticed any such correlation in mine when it gives a false alert... When it has and I've looked around, it has usually become obvious that it has spotted more than one sign at almost the same time...

• Like 3

Sometimes the signs are not there for it to read ie coming out of a side road onto a B road.

It often says I am speeding red 30MPH sign when I am not but no beeps.

• Like 2

I don’t believe mine, I have decided it’s switching between MPH and KPH. At the weekend it showed the motorway sign when I was waiting for petrol - it’s so screwed up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This has been mentioned on here before, there is a dealer software fix for this.  I have got to get mine done the next time I go to the dealers.

• Like 2

I had an Hyundai before my (Mk3) Yaris and the speed limit sign detection was really good.

I've now turned it off on my Yaris ... go figure.

Seems the Mk4 isn't much better.

• Like 2

Yeah the RSA in the new cars just isn't fit for purpose; It reads the wrong signs (e.g. side-streets) and randomly switches between K's and M's and there's no way to override it for some stupid reason. (I really don't understand why it isn't user-selectable whether it's in miles or km's - Even on the GPS-equipped models it should never switch to kms while it knows it's in an mph area!!)

I did ask my dealer by they were insistent there was no firmware upgrade to fix it and that's just how it is...!

I just feel sorry for the poor buggers who get the mandatory speed limiters with this system - It's going to drive them crazy!

It's incredibly ironic that these systems, which are supposed to improve safety, are doing the opposite!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I don’t believe mine, I have decided it’s switching between MPH and KPH. At the weekend it showed the motorway sign when I was waiting for petrol - it’s so screwed up!

Mine shows the Motorway sign sometimes also, and always at one point on my commute i think it confuses with the Bollards in middle of the road that have the Blue Arrow. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback so far... I've seen the "read the side road limit" issue, but this isn't it.... 

Whilst frustrating, I can live with that.... in the case where I first saw it.... there were no signs at all, except for the 50mph limit... I was doing about 40mph and it flagged 50 in red in place of the limit sign...

Being in "debug mode", I slowed down... and it was only when I reduced to about 32mph did the expected white with red border sign... 

So, I'm more or less certain it is confused between KMH and MPH.

I'll report back when the dealer does... but I've forwarded the "bug report" details from the other thread in case that helps them...

Just a little frustrated that it wasn't upgraded to the latest level of software before delivery....

Malcolm

• Like 2

It's a known issue with the RSA defaulting to kph

There is a TSB about the RSA/speed limit defaulting to KPH on the Mk4, the main stealer can do this update - 30kph is 18-19mph

BE-00734T-TME

TSS 2.5 : Over speed audible and visual notifications revert from mph to kph while driving / every ignition cycle (UK only)

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the TSB reference, I'll wave it at them next time they tell me there's no firmware update!!

Update:

Car has been to the dealers.... it already has the software pertaining to BE-00734T-TME installed... which is good in that it was available before the car was delivered.... but less good that the problem still exists 😞

The dealer has raised a case with Toyota GB Technical and promise me it will be fixed (but they can't state when.... I'm not holding my breath).

Talking to the engineer, it appears to have been an issue since the introduction of the mk4 - with multiple customers mentioning the problem....

All I can add is that the more people who experience the problem, report it to Toyota, the better.... 

At present, it's just a mild annoyance... but if it starts "enforcing the limits" then we have a serious problem...

Malcolm

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK, five weeks later and Toyota Technical have closed the case with the following "bullsh*t" answer;

quote:

Assuming that there is no damage to the screen in the area of the camera, no DTCs stored and no accessories plugged into the USB or 12v sockets (IE Dashcam) .

Then as you have not been able to replicate the reported concern, I suspect that what the customer is experiencing may well be a limitation of the system at that particular time.

Please would you review the limitations of the system with the customer - see pages 244 and 245 from the online owners manual. This may help manage the customer expectation.

end quote:

I've requested that the dealer re-opens the case, and ideally lets me talk to Toyota - but I believe this is unlikely... Any suggestions on how to get something down?

To me it feels very much like "we've got your money and we don't care anymore"... Just glad this is a minor irritation rather than a serious problem

Malcolm

YC Excel, found RSA sort of works but in all honesty many road signs are crop and could be the cause. 

My car did pick up a speed limit from a truck. I have also has struck red 30 display even when going much slower. 

I have also noted disagreement between the Smart Connect display and the camera displays.  I recounted a few days back one village in about half a mile had 20, 30, 40 and 50 signs. 

The system as it stands just isn't fit for purpose; It can't tell the difference between signs on the road you're on vs signs on roads you are not on (e.g. side roads, parallel roads), signs on vans, trucks and trailers, and has problems with non-painted signs (e.g. gantry matrix displays).

Even with normal signs it doesn't always read them correctly, e.g. thinking a 60 is an 80.

In fairness it's a limitation of technology, but I'd blame the people mandating these things being put in cars before they're ready.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've got a picture of the fault in place.... The car has correctly recognised a 30mph limit... I have set the limit to 30mph.... and at the time of the picture I'm doing 25mph

However, the RSA symbol is highlighted in red - and the car beeps at me to suggest I am exceeding the limit... Which you can see I'm not..

If I slow down to 19mph (less than 30kmh) the warning goes off...

I can live with the side street / lorry signs... or even misreading a sign.... but this is a BUG....

image.thumb.jpeg.2c520440f27a31ec53a5900c8b19c23b.jpeg

• Like 3

Aye, they all do it, we've had posts about it since day 1!

A lot of us have reported it to Toyota, both to the dealers and cr@toyota.co.uk, but so far doesn't seem to be any fixes forthcoming for some reason.

I don't know why they can't add an option to the dash settings page (km/miles/auto)... seems like it would be a relatively easy thing to do unless the software is a horrific mess...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

unless the software is a horrific mess...

I think that's the answer !

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links