Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Health Check

Tim S

Hi, 

I have owned a 2018 Toyota Auris Hybrid Design for 18 months now, and am delighted with the car. The car will be 5 years old in a few months. Do fellow owners recommend getting the Hybrid Health Check (£50) when it reaches the 5 year point and each year thereafter? I don’t get the car serviced at a Toyota main dealer, so would the Health Check give an extra year of hybrid Battery warranty? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• Like 1

The hybrid health check will provide a 1 year/10,000 mile (whichever occurs first) extended warranty on the hybrid Battery. Some owners take advantage of this, some don't. It is really your choice.

• Like 1

I done that few 3 times from when the car reached 5 years old until 8 just to keep warranty of the Battery. I do my own service ever since and I have stopped doing health checks become the car past it’s 100k miles. If you service your car in Toyota dealer you will get free health check and another year of relax warranty which although may not be as good as first 3 years manufacturer warranty it’s still a better deal than service the car outside the dealer network, unless you do as diy. 👍

• Like 2

Battery alone can have unlimited miles until 10 years old in Auris, 15 years for newer Corolla.  You can ask dealership to do just Hybridsystem-Check for about £30 and get 1 year/10k miles that can be renewed every year/10k miles until 2028.  

If you maintain your car in dealership (annual inspection), you get relax warranty and automatically hybrid batterie is covered. In the first 5 years/60k miles, you do not need Hybridsystem-Check because entire hybrid system is still under warranty (inverter, ECU, Battery,etc.).

In short, get just Hybridsystem-Check if you maintain the car by yourself (oil changed, spark plugs, coolant, ATF,brake fluid) or maintain your car in dealership and pay whatever scheduled maintenance price is. This Hybridsystem-Check does not have to be continually renewed, you can have any gap if you forgot and it is fine. 

• Like 1

To clarify, in the UK for vehicles ordered after June 2021, Toyota's new car warranty is 3 years/60,000 miles. Prior to June 2021, in the UK Toyota's new car warranty was 5 years/100,000 miles.

When the vehicle is nearing the end of the new car warranty, a service at a Toyota dealer will provide the Relax service generated warranty of 1 year/10,000 miles (whichever occurs first), and the Relax warranty may be extended up to the time the vehicle reaches 10 years of age or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Once the new car warranty is nearing its end, the hybrid Battery extended warranty is generated when the car has either a hybrid electric service at a Toyota dealer (which includes the hybrid health check) or a standalone hybrid health check at a Toyota dealer, the hybrid Battery extended warranty is provided for a period of 1 year up to the vehicle reaching 15 years of age.

toyota-warranty-ts-and-cs-june-2022.pdf Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Is that mean that if I take my 12 years old lady with 234000 miles for Battery health check I will be covered for another year? Hm, if yes then it’s worth £50.

Thanks for that 👍

• Like 2

Just reading the t&c and says that after the Battery health check is performed successfully the car will receive one year or another 10k miles Battery warranty. They also noted that the car should have been serviced to the manufacturer requirements with oils, fluids and all other parts. Basically it will be difficult to me to prove that all that has been done as they want, don’t even know if they count diy as proper service. Never mind that I have invoices and pictures, just because I am not registered or certified mobile mechanic or garage most likely will invalidate any potential claims in the future. Probably that’s why I have stopped doing health checks. 
https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty/Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

• Like 2

It's a personal choice. 

In the 4.5 years I had the Yaris did not service with Toyota nor a hybrid health check. Only heard a few cases where a cell or two failed in a prius, it can be replaced individually. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Just reading the t&c and says that after the battery health check is performed successfully the car will receive one year or another 10k miles battery warranty. They also noted that the car should have been serviced to the manufacturer requirements with oils, fluids and all other parts. Basically it will be difficult to me to prove that all that has been done as they want, don’t even know if they count diy as proper service. Never mind that I have invoices and pictures, just because I am not registered or certified mobile mechanic or garage most likely will invalidate any potential claims in the future. Probably that’s why I have stopped doing health checks. 
https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty/Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

Hi Tony, very confused, I didn't have my car serviced on the 5th year at the dealership, but had the hybrid heath check (£45), I aked them to confirm if I qualified for one year warrenty for the hybrid Battery, and the answer was yes, therefore, seems to me the scheduled service is not required for the extented hybrid system warrenty.

• Like 2

Many thanks to all for the explanations, I am very grateful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davidhee58 said:

Hi Tony, very confused, I didn't have my car serviced on the 5th year at the dealership, but had the hybrid heath check (£45), I aked them to confirm if I qualified for one year warrenty for the hybrid battery, and the answer was yes, therefore, seems to me the scheduled service is not required for the extented hybrid system warrenty.

Have you serviced your car at any vat registered garage or certified mobile mechanic, or have you serviced the car by yourself at your driveway ? 
Here is the important bit.
In an event of warranty issue and claim they will require to prove where the car was serviced and if it’s within the specs , fluids, lubricants, filters etc . They also may reject any diy work done by the car owner as suitable and not accept your claim based on that the car been serviced by non qualified mechanic. This is what I am trying to understand but only dealer representative can enlighten us. 
I do my own services since 2015-2016 when I had taken ownership of the car and the car manufacturer warranty has expired. I was doing Battery health checks just to be on the safe side and the car was low mileage example. I never bother to read any t&c at the time and happily paid £45 each year for hybrid health checks. 
Since 2018 I start using the car for my business travel and mileage went up from 2000 annually up to 50000 miles, which means 5 services per year. The savings from doing my own services are huge and I decided to even stop going for health checks. Me think either going full service at Toyota dealer or do you own diy service and don’t bother going for a hybrid health check. 
The third option is an independent service + separate health checks at official dealer, not sure it’s worth it. 

• Like 3

Hi Tony, thanks for your information, basically in the end of 5 years manufacturer warrenty, I decided to do DIY maintenance myself and only to bring my car to the dealer for the hybrid health check to qualify the 10 years extented hybrid Battery warrennty, as I only drive ~3000 miles/year and the chance my car needs a big repair is quite small. To my understanding, the one year extented warrenty of the bybrid Battery only requires hybrid health check and the certificate, If, as you said, it requires to prove where the car is serviced in an event of warranty issue and claim,then it is very confusing, as I had a quick look at the Toyota documents i was given when i bought my car 5 years ago , it doesn't mention what you have said abot the T&Cs at all. I need to ask the dealer to clarify next year when they do health check for my car.  

• Like 4

From my personal chat and call with Toyota Europe, hybrid Battery warranty is still valid even if we do our own oil change and other maintenance.  Toyota must proof that whatever we do cause DIRECTLY the Battery failure if there is any.  They cannot just say without proofing it. So, don't worry about our own DIY maintenance.

So, no.... We do not need Dealership service to get the warranty.  Dead HV Battery is not caused by our oil change, transmission fluid change, or new aftermarket brake pads and disc.  Don't worry about other stuffs that we maintain by our own.  

We only hybrid-system-check, as long as we never open the battery,  we are covered.  Even if we ever changed the brake booster or inverter with the right unit, HV battery warranty is still valid. 

@Davidhee58, you can drive 30k miles a year and still get covered but you will need 3x hybrid-systemcheck per year. 

• Like 4

totally agreed with you John, the oil and other fluids and filters change should have nothing to do with the hybrid Battery health. 

• Like 2

I might be checking with my local dealer and if that’s confirmed that it’s not a problem diy service may run a health check just for the warranty. 

• Like 4

Above someone said it may well be health check every 10k, so it may not worth it for u. 

• Like 1

I did check and done my DIY since 4th year. The dealership always offering me Relax-Garantie and they know that I maintained the car by myself. Every year, they gave me a certificate for 1y/15k km HV Battery warranty even when I was late for 1 month for the Hybridsystem-Check. 

Personally, I do not worry about the Battery, it is just to keep a record=resale value. 

• Like 2

how long Battery last tho? looking to buy used 2013-2014 auris with around 100kmiles and wonder if its worth buying

• Like 2

Don't think there is too much to worry about Battery, Tony has one on 230k+ miles. Besides I only ever heard of a few early Prius that had a failed cell or two, they can be replaced individually. 

The main thing is price and get a catloc. 

• Like 3

@Wolverine5pl From my own experience, typically 10-12 years in hot weather (Florida, Arizona, Texas, South California). Mine died in 12y, 220k miles in Florida. Many in South CA, Taxi owners, 150k miles/10 years.  In West Europe, the weather is so mild, probably 15 years or more if there is no corrosion issue in the Busbar (from AC off in winter or coast area). If we turn the AC/climate control ON all the time and clean the filter/vent, the Battery lasts much longer.  AC is part of cooling system in summer and humidifier in winter. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links