Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross - remapping

Bradley Atkinson

Or drive like me and get 5/5 for coasting but 1/5 for acceleration and braking :naughty: 

In Eco mode :laugh: 

• Like 1

Not sure about the Yaris Cross but the Mk4 Yaris is like a rocket ship in normal mode never mind power mode so remapping a Yaris Cross? 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

Not sure about the Yaris Cross but the Mk4 Yaris is like a rocket ship in normal mode never mind power mode so remapping a Yaris Cross? 

Aye, just buy something with a bigger engine if you must go faster 🙄

• Like 2

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

Very eloquently written Tony.  Find me something that says MG1 drives the car.   

Thanks. MG1 never dives the car, but when the accelerator been pressed to  the floor sharply the mg1 can stop or even start turning in opposite direction to add extra torque to the planetary gear. This can be felt similarly to standard auto with torque converter with lock up function, less noise more direct drive. , faster acceleration and power losses. 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thanks. MG1 never dives the car, but when the accelerator been pressed to  the floor sharply the mg1 can stop or even start turning in opposite direction to add extra torque to the planetary gear. This can be felt similarly to standard auto with torque converter with lock up function, less noise more direct drive. , faster acceleration and power losses. 👍

That’s better, so just to be clear for anyone who read your previous post, MG1 does not directly add to the acceleration of the car, it has three purposes - to start the engine, to generate power (which can be used elsewhere to drive the car) and to control the speed of the epicyclic geartrain.  In this post you’ve said it adds torque to the planetary geartrain.  No it doesn’t, that’s the same as saying it drives the car.  Stop digging, I can barely see the top of your head 😉

12 hours ago, anchorman said:

Aye, just buy something with a bigger engine if you must go faster 🙄

How fast does one want to go? unless it's top end but the speed limit is 70mph, more then enough speed off the line in a Hybrid with the instant EV kick.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

Or drive like me and get 5/5 for coasting but 1/5 for acceleration and braking :naughty: 

In Eco mode :laugh: 

Same here 😁 but am tending to use Normal mode now because it feels much more lively.

• Like 2

Hybrid's have a unique driving style, they are not for everyone, the yaris isnt the tightest car in the world and with the CoG that's a bit higher in the cross it may well have a bit more roll

• Like 3

The Mk4 is very responsive; It launches like an EV but the engine takes up the slack where EVs traditionally start to feel like they're losing 'pull' so it has a nicely linear pull up to 70ish.

Toyota did a really good job of setting up the drive train in this thing, it's just very well judged and makes it such a joy to drive! :biggrin: 

The lower wider stance and extra structural stiffening is also very noticeable compared to the older models when you're taking it on a country road thrash :naughty: 

I think the Cross would be a lot more leery as it's even taller than the old ones, but the drive trains should be similarly responsive, but it'll be more like the Mk4 with a few passengers :laugh: 

• Like 3

My route to work is a perfect mix for engine health.  It starts with steep hills then a stretch of motorway and then I run the gauntlet of multi national driving licenses into central Manchester.  On the hilly bits I get the need to pass something quite regularly, the tippers from the Buxton quarries are favourite targets and with the Yaris I got into the habit of priming “sport” mode ready for a suitable place to launch an attack.  Prior to the Yaris, I’ve had Lexus’s and Mazdas that would fly but you really need to keep your wits about you because while the Yaris is quite spritely off the mark, it soon runs out of steam so plan your overtaking well.  I think I’ve only experimented with eco mode.  I had a RAV4 with an auto box and it had a terrible lag at a junction but no such worry with the Yaris, it’s off like a rat up a pipe.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

That’s better, so just to be clear for anyone who read your previous post, MG1 does not directly add to the acceleration of the car, it has three purposes - to start the engine, to generate power (which can be used elsewhere to drive the car) and to control the speed of the epicyclic geartrain.

I'm guessing this was just a terminology slip. In my non-mechanical understanding, MG1 is a glorified starter motor. MG2 does the real heavy lifting. Then in AWD models you also have MG3 providing an assist from the rear.

• Like 1

Here more information from the teacher.
Anyone interested can watch and see what’s inside their cars and how it works. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Here more information from the teacher.
Anyone interested can watch and see what’s inside their cars and how it works. 

Someone will say it's rubbish, they don't want to lift the bonnet and just drive. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

I'm guessing this was just a terminology slip. In my non-mechanical understanding, MG1 is a glorified starter motor. MG2 does the real heavy lifting. Then in AWD models you also have MG3 providing an assist from the rear.

Yes I’m sure it is.  John Kelly in the video does say that the power generated by MG1 is used to help move the vehicle by generating power for the other motors.   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links