Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing headlight bulbs on the Mark4 Yaris Hybrid.

Bernard Foy

Hi guys anyone on here have information and tips on changing bulbs on the Mark4 Yaris Hybrid ??. I would like to try the Phillips Optiwhites.

7 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi guys anyone on here have information and tips on changing bulbs on the Mark4 Yaris Hybrid ??. I would like to try the Phillips Optiwhites.

You never changed headlight bulbs then Bernard?

Changing headlight bulbs years ago was a very straight forward and relatively easy thing to do.  However, with the complex and sculptured look of some modern lenses, access to the actual bulbs can be quite challenging.  In fact, I’d go as far to say that, you need hands the size of mini me (that wee baldy guy in the Austin Powers movies) to navigate your fingers through the tight spaces.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

You never changed headlight bulbs then Bernard?

Yes many times Don on older cars and it was simple, but not anymore. I was gonna upgrade and change them on my previous Yaris, but changed the car instead to a 2022 year Mark4. See Jimota’s post 😮

• Like 2

I believe your headlights has no exchangeable bulbs, they are led units seal and if anything goes wrong  it will be the whole headlight replacement. Expensive too. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

See what you mean about the sealed beam units.  Additionally, even if light bulbs are replaceable, some headlight units and surrounding panels need to be released from the bodywork before access can be gained.

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I believe your headlights has no exchangeable bulbs, they are led units seal and if anything goes wrong  it will be the whole headlight replacement. Expensive too. 

I was just sick of changing bulbs and xenons.

Hope my LEDs in Cross are well designed and will last, I think they come from Lexus NX, but they are only 2 pairs of lenses, and NX has 3pars. (the lineup hierarchy must be unbroken). But they have the same MATRIX function as NX, even the welcome animation is the same. So my hopping is they are good units.

But this BiLED adaptive led is mediocre, they have lower light output than bi-xenons, and the matrix function have only a few segments, 8 on each side I think. Not complaining, they are good headlights, the cutoff is good, and light distribution is also good, but new xenons blast more light on the road.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Wow that would be expensive, hopefully they like myself have a long life span 🤞

On the other hand the more things change, the more they remain the same 🤔. I’m sure many of you guys remember some cars of yesteryears had sealed beams too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ISL said:

@Bernard Foywhich model do you have? The ICON model has halogen whereas DESIGN and EXEL have LED.

Models in Ireland Shaun have different specs to those in GB. However, I believe the basic model in GB is the Design, I have the next one up.

Just now, Bernard Foy said:

Models in Ireland Shaun have different specs to those in GB. However, I believe the basic model in GB is the Design, I have the next one up.

Sorry having read your post again it’s the Icon is the basic model, then I have the next one up from it.

• Like 2

Is it a luna or luna sport ? Or do know the model code ? If it just has a levelling motor and the wiring goes under the headlamp, its LED

if it's halogen, its a 12v 55w iirc that makes it a HIR2 with bulb holders in the back

Pics for reference

RH halogen  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295337734698 (projector style)

LH Led https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204197992974 (sectional style)

• Thanks 1

I believed hybrids were designed to run with the lowest outputs on lights, so not sure if the wiring loom may require changing to, to cater for higher wattage passing through cables, could be wrong but you wouldn't want to burn out the cables.

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

Is it a luna or luna sport ? Or do know the model code ? If it just has a levelling motor and the wiring goes under the headlamp, its LED

if it's halogen, its a 12v 55w iirc that makes it a HIR2 with bulb holders in the back

Pics for reference

RH halogen  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295337734698 (projector style)

LH Led https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204197992974 (sectional style)

It’s a Luna Bob, I will have a look under the bonnet tomorrow. 

Looking at stock images, the Luna has the projector style headlights so Halogen - IE cars are usually similar to euro spec, the Luna looks like something in between a UK icon and design spec

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links