Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross spare wheel

Tom E Pattinson

16". 

Toyota Official parts online

If you look at Toyota UK website, they direct you to their official parts which is hosted by eBay.

The only wheel they have listed doesn't appear to come with a fitting kit but for 16" it's listed at £99. I think I'd be asking that dealer exactly what they're offering for £500 and why it's £500.

A full size brand new Yaris 17" alloy costs costs £273. That's from Toyota !!!!  Add a brand new full size tyre + jack + spanner and that's approching £500.  So how can it be £500 for a cheap steel rim ( which which should cost around £50 ) and a skinny tyre?

Either the dealer has the price wrong, they're ording the wrong parts, or they're related to Arthur Daley.

Please remember just because a car has 18" alloys, that the mini spare can be a much smaller steel rim. It's all about the diameter of tyre + alloy, not just the alloy itself.  Would be surprised if it's not the same mini spare they use for all Yaris Cross models.

Toyota Direct Parts

have a look at the above link. Original price is £257.66        IMO that's still way over priced, mini spares are usually around £150 - £180 mark, but it shows just how wildly out £500 is.  As I say, you can buy a brand new full size alloy and full size tyre for that.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 9:18 AM, RonYarisX said:

16". 

Toyota Official parts online

If you look at Toyota UK website, they direct you to their official parts which is hosted by EBAY.

The only wheel they have listed doesn't appear to come with a fitting kit but for 16" it's listed at £99. I think I'd be asking that dealer exactly what they're offering for £500 and why it's £500.

A full size brand new Yaris 17" alloy costs costs £273. That's from Toyota !!!!  Add a brand new full size tyre + jack + spanner and that's approching £500.  So how can it be £500 for a cheap steel rim ( which which should cost around £50 ) and a skinny tyre?

Either the dealer has the price wrong, they're ording the wrong parts, or they're related to Arthur Daley.

Please remember just because a car has 18" alloys, that the mini spare can be a much smaller steel rim. It's all about the diameter of tyre + alloy, not just the alloy itself.  Would be surprised if it's not the same mini spare they use for all Yaris Cross models.

Toyota Direct Parts

have a look at the above link. Original price is £257.66        IMO that's still way over priced, mini spares are usually around £150 - £180 mark, but it shows just how wildly out £500 is.  As I say, you can buy a brand new full size alloy and full size tyre for that.

I asked that when I ordered my X, was told it was because of the extra work required to fix the securing bracket and retaining bolt along with the cost of a spacesaver and jack/tools etc! That is the reason I will look elsewhere.

Kev.

My spare cost £400.  Yes, full size steel wheel, high pressure space saver, jack kit, wheel securing kit.  That was in Sep 22 but quote from Feb 22.

11 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Yes, full size steel wheel, high pressure space saver

A full size steel wheel and high pressure space saver?  Sorry but I don't understand any of that.

16 hours ago, Knorton said:

I asked that when I ordered my X, was told it was because of the extra work required to fix the securing bracket and retaining bolt along with the cost of a spacesaver and jack/tools etc! That is the reason I will look elsewhere.

Kev.

Does anyone know what's involved in fixing a securing bracket and retaining bolt?

With VW group cars, there's already a slot in the bodywork which comes from the factory. If you order spare wheel as an accessory, you also have to order the retaining bolt and nut.  The plastic retaining bolt secures to the slot provided in the floor, the spare wheel goes over that bolt and it's held securely in place by tightening down the plastic nut.  The plastic nut + bolt costs around £10.

If an official spare wheel on it's own purchased from a Toyota dealer costs £250, ( see above link ) how are these £400 or £500 figures arrived at?  It's a total rip off. Can't believe people would seriously consider paying that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bought these for my Yaris Hybrid

£70 16" steel spacesaver

£12 Spacesaver retain bolt

£20 Scissor Jack and wheel wrench

£20 3M x 1M Car Sound Proofing Foam Roll Closed Cell Foam Deadening

I traced around the original foam tray and added +2" all around.  I did not peel off the backing paper on the sticky foam so it sits in the wheel well but doesn't move because the wheel is heavy.  I cut small holes out where the bungs are and for the retaining bolt.

I wrapped the wrench in bubble wrap and it wedges nicely between the wheel and the foam liner.

I wrapped the jack in bubble wrap and put it in the jack hole behind the right hand panel. It's wedged quite tightly but I also put a couple of cheap folding umbrellas in there as well, so everything in there isn't moving.

The emergency lithium booster sits in a washbag in the spare wheel along with another cloth bag with ice srapper and deicer spray.  Nothing rattles.

IMG_1542.jpeg

IMG_1543.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg

• Like 3

Hold on, is that for a Yaris or a YariX??

My Yaris came with a space-saver spare!! :eek: 

It was one of the things I was praising it for being included as standard!!

• Like 2

Mine is a Yaris Design 2022 model and came with gloop. As my partner will be the main driver, she wanted a spare, not gloop. Although she will have to call AA or whoever to change the wheel, she would be able to continue a journey. With gloop, it depends on the size/place of the puncture as to its efficiency. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My dealer collected my car for servicing and left an Aygo.  Come 5.30 he came to pick it up and saw it had a flat tyre.

Confident it had a spare he went to get it out and discovered Goop.   As he inflated the tyre he could hear the air escaping. He managed to drive the 8 miles back.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, jthspace said:

Mine is a Yaris Design 2022 model and came with gloop. As my partner will be the main driver, she wanted a spare, not gloop. Although she will have to call AA or whoever to change the wheel, she would be able to continue a journey. With gloop, it depends on the size/place of the puncture as to its efficiency. 

Waaaaat!? When the heck did that change!? :eek: 

Mine's a 2021 model and it has a spare tyre!! The 22 isn't even a facelift model (Is it...?) so when did they take the spare out?? :eek: 

Also, as a suggestion, a few of us have taken to keeping a pack of sticky-string puncture repair kits in the car; They've got quite a good reputation and are better than the goop, although if your missus is the main driver she probably won't be keen on using them since it involves stabbing them into the puncture then reinflating the tyre and cutting off the excess with a sharp knife! :laugh: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jthspace said:

I presume you have a panaramic roof so no space saving spare tyre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Correct, although I fail to see how a glass roof prevents punctures! 🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Its down to the weight  of the car if it was a steel roof then you are supplied with a space saving tyre.

Its down to MPG efficancy you can still add your own space saver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

Oh god I'm so stupid! I totally forgot the pano-roof excludes the spare tyre!! :bag:

Good catch Derek! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Its down to the weight  of the car if it was a steel roof then you are supplied with a space saving tyre.

Its down to MPG efficancy you can still add your own space saver.

..... and also emissions.

• Like 2

I don't recommend keeping your emergency lithium booster in the boot.  When you have a flat 12 volt Battery and need to use it you may not be able to open the boot as the release is electrically operated.  I keep mine I'm the glovebox just to be safe.

• Like 3

Is it possible to get a 16 inch full size spare wheel in the wheel well of the Yaris cross ?

Why don't you take one of yours off and try?

• Like 2