Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashcam

Eccleston

Phillip, I have used a VIOFO A129 both front and back with good results. There are later models available now. The only downside with mine is the thickness of the cable to the rear camera.

Eccles 

• Like 2

You must use 'High Endurance' memory cards - dashcams continuously over record, so wear out lower spec cards in no time.  The larger the capacity of the card, the longer it takes to fill up with video and start overwriting.  I've been using Integral cards for several years and find they last longer than the Nextbase branded cards:  http://amazon.co.uk/Integral-Security-Dash-Cams-Endurance/B098KCP2QJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you I have been using Scandisk high endurance 128gb for 2 years I'll buy a new sd card for the RAV4 🙂 as said before they are cheep. 2 yrs ago Nextbase were wanting £70+ for a 128gb Scandisk fast read £17 Amazon N/Basegreec

• Like 1

Wooster very impressed integral Micro sd 40,000 5 star reviews 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do be careful with the Sandisk ones - There are a LOT of fake ones being sold, esp. on eBay and Amazon!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, paul9 said:

Max, I think when you plug that rear camera into the side, it is more for keeping an eye on the passengers, useful for taxi and uber drivers. Not so much for keeping a record of who drove into the back of you.

As Graham said there are two version one is to allow you to view the interior and the other the road behind (see picture below)

Rear View Camera - RFT Automotive

• Like 2

Cyker thanks I am switching to

5 minutes ago, marlinleg said:

integral

• Like 1

You can also extend the life of a dash-cam memory card by reformatting it occasionally. (Maybe every 3 months.)  It also marks any sections of the memory that are corrupt and marks them so they aren't used again.  Of course, re-formatting will erase all the 'old' data, so backup and 'footage' that you want to keep.

• Like 1

Wooster I found my dash-cam 380 gw front and rear  with intelligent parking was locking lots of memory files up to 90gb  (Scandisk 128gb card installed) it was set to med sensitivity I think  so when I closed the car door park mode records 1 min front and back so 2 min in total  any views will be welcome 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marlinleg said:

my dash-cam 380 gw front and rear

I've no experience with this 'high-end' dash-cam.  Have you asked Nextbase about it?  (Their support is pretty good.)  Is there a setting for how long the recording runs for when it detects a bump?  What happens if you reduce the sensitivity?  Does vibration set it to record?  (So a passing truck might set it off.) 1 GB is about 10 minutes of recording at 1080p, so 90 GB is about 90 minutes of recordings.  How long does it take (days, weeks etc) to 'fill up' 90GB?  Questions, questions....  

• Like 1

Wooster I spoke to Nextbase  customer service they said the parking mode default set to 1 min I didn't ask if it was for both front and back I'll ring them before I get my rav4 not long now 

19days 17hrs and 11 min not that I am counting 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marlinleg said:

Any alternative to NextBase front and rear Dah-Cams

I have had a Blackvue front and rear fitted to my car for 7 years now. Not the cheapest but it's possibly an example of getting what you pay for. Also a dedicated, hard wired Battery under the front passenger seat for parking mode, up to three days. Not cheap either!

In my opinion, more discreet, no screen, and easily hidden behind the rear view mirror. A screen is only really needed for initial positioning and set up. Front and rear images may be viewed in their app. using built in wifi.

I did read, ages ago, that for Blackvue, a Transcend memory card works best. They don't like Sandisk in particular. Can't verify that because there's always been a 128Gb Transcend installed. Removed, formatted and set up every month using their viewer. Also possible to format insitu.

i use Panasonic or SanDisk SD cards with my Blackvue no issue - i do a full MOD spec format on my SD cards when new

• Like 1

flash22  how and what is full mod spec format on sd card🤔 ?? Thank you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, flash22 said:

i use Panasonic or SanDisk SD cards with my Blackvue no issue - i do a full MOD spec format on my SD cards when new

Yes, I'm sure other cards of suitable spec. will work fine. I think the "warning" was in a Youtube video years ago. Blackboxmycar or similar. Maybe they have shares in Transcend?:ph34r:

19 hours ago, marlinleg said:

flash22  how and what is full mod spec format on sd card🤔 ?? Thank you 

I haven't a clue! Ministry of Defence? I use a free, downloadable formatter(is that a word?)guiformat. Or, as I wrote, in Blackvue Viewer (no issues) or the front camera (never tried that).

Viofo also receive good reviews. They have a front and rear combination.https://viofouk.co.uk/product/a129-pro-dual-dashcam-front-rear/  I have a front only A129 fitted to another car. Very good performance and images.

2 hours ago, olonas said:

I haven't a clue! Ministry of Defence? I use a free, downloadable formatter(is that a word?)guiformat. Or, as I wrote, in Blackvue Viewer (no issues) or the front camera (never tried that).

Viofo also receive good reviews. They have a front and rear combination.https://viofouk.co.uk/product/a129-pro-dual-dashcam-front-rear/  I have a front only A129 fitted to another car. Very good performance and images.

Yes that's correct, MOD - Ministry of defence, the US has the DOD - department of defence that have their own very high standards for formatting and erasure of data

• Like 1

Why do that to a brand new SD card tho'? It seems like that'd just waste the already limited write cycles they have!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flash22 said:

Yes that's correct, MOD - Ministry of defence, the US has the DOD - department of defence that have their own very high standards for formatting and erasure of data

Why go to that extreme Bob? Is somebody liable to retrieve information from a card used in a Dashcam and for what purpose?

Some sneaky nerd discovering you've just been to Asda? Other supermarkets are available.

Hello just back from RAV4 test drive lovely car I pick it up 8/march ref Dashcam it has the Nextbase 380gw already fitted but front only no rear cam dealer said to fit a rear would mean complete new Nextbase 380GWX £349 plus fitting no thank you. so I am thinking anyone rear ending me it's there problem 

• Like 1

I have a separate Nextbase 222 for the rear screen.  My Auris has an 'auxiliary socket' behind the back seat, so powering the 222 wasn't difficult.  You can also buy reconditioned ('Renewed') ones directly from Nextbase for about £45. https://nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/222-renewed/

Don't forget that you'll need a micro SD card - high endurance - as previously discussed.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Security-Dash-Cams-recording-Endurance/dp/B098KC3L49/ref=psdc_561932_t2_B07NY23WBG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links