Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 12 volt high power battery fitted.

Derek.w

I keep reading that gen. 4 owners have a flat Battery after 3 days, but also note they have 2022 models, presumably with the 9" HD Nav.

Our Cross has Touch 2, and sat 4 weeks unused. Started fine.

I'm thinking something related to the new nav system is the culprit. Doesn't it include new connected services?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

I’m absolutely sure that an insurance company would have a big say on whether or not they will cover a lead acid in the back of the car in the event of a serious accident when a claim is activated.

Not so sure about that. If I bought a secondhand car from someone who put a lead acid there then insurance company cannot have any say on that - if on the assumption they want a say. I only know how to drive a car. 

Same for things like change of tyre size from original, the average person will not know that there has been a change from the previous owner.

Back to the OP, unless the Battery had an issue then I understand for changing it, and to a higher capacity while at it. 2-3 a week is a pain. Haven't needed to do that to any car I'd owned. 

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Not so sure about that. If I bought a secondhand car from someone who put a lead acid there then insurance company cannot have any say on that - if on the assumption they want a say. I only know how to drive a car.

But if you have an accident and lead acid Battery causes damage to someone, I expect that your insurance will check if this battey is compliant with car manufacturer specs.

13 minutes ago, RickyC said:

But if you have an accident and lead acid battery causes damage to someone, I expect that your insurance will check if this battey is compliant with car manufacturer specs.

You say that, it's speculation/assumption. Have not heard a case of void policy because one do not know about a change of Battery from original spec. Can anyone tell me if they had heard of one. We don't have to be lawyers in the field of cars to drive a car and be legal.

• Like 1

Battery type AGM or Silver oxide you cannot change this you have to stay with the same type of Battery 0riginally fitted to a vehicle.

The specifcations of Battery exceed OEM specifcations so no insurance problems.

Its lid is SMF sealed maintance free double lid with vent tube simlar to original so no problem connecting vent.

• Like 1

I now expect on a full charge it can stand for 21+ days and it will still start.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

If I bought a secondhand car from someone who put a lead acid there then insurance company cannot have any say on that - 

Lead acid batteries give off hydrogen gas only a moron would put one inside a car.

20 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

20 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

If I bought a secondhand car from a moron who put a lead acid there then insurance company cannot have any say on that - 

21 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Lead acid batteries give off hydrogen gas only a moron would put one inside a car.

Fixed it for you. 

7 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Joking aside when these cars are 10+ years old you could imagine owners that don't know the difference and dodgy car dealers will fit whatever makes it go.

Almost all 12v car batteries are lead acid; Even AGM ones are and can also give off hydrogen gas if they are e.g. overcharged, which is why Toyota put vent tube in ones that live inside the car, to vent it outside (Which seems a bit overkill, as the Battery would have to be charged so hard it's practically on fire to generate enough hydrogen to be even a slight danger to passengers, but people do seem to get very paranoid about such things!)

The only reason AGM is used is it's safer to handle - They don't mind being upside down and won't leak sulphuric acid everywhere, unlike normal flooded batteries. Even if the casing is breached, there is so little acid it will just smoke a bit rather than spill its guts out on everything.

(This probably goes without saying but if you do see a smoking lead acid Battery, get away from it - That 'smoke' is probably sulphuric acid reacting with the water in the air, and you really don't want to breathe that in! :eek: )

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Same for things like change of tyre size from original, the average person will not know that there has been a change from the previous owner.

Back to the OP, unless the battery had an issue then I understand for changing it, and to a higher capacity while at it. 2-3 a week is a pain. Haven't needed to do that to any car I'd owned. 

My comments were really pertaining to a situation where an agm Battery is replaced by a lead acid Battery by the owner in the rear of the car and the insurance company weren’t informed, and in that subsequently a claim was activated. In the scenario you have described the owner wouldn’t have had any knowledge. Which would then be a remitting factor.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

The era of 'safety doesn't sell', which Lee Iacocca was apparently fond of saying. 

Never heard of him have you any more information please.

5 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

well Toyota are fitting them but vented to the outside via a tube.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

You say that, it's speculation/assumption. Have not heard a case of void policy because one do not know about a change of battery from original spec. Can anyone tell me if they had heard of one. We don't have to be lawyers in the field of cars to drive a car and be legal.

Well, insurance companies are certainly interested if you fit alloy wheels to a commercial van that had steel as standard. They would be interested if you fitted tyres outside the scope of the vehicle loading capacity. So the driver of the vehicle is under some obligation to know “construction and use” requirements.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Hibird said:

What about acid in your childrens or families eyes while trapped after an accident !

How is the acid going to get out of the Battery if the car was hit that hard the Battery split the last thing your family will be worrying about is Battery acid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

How is the acid going to get out of the battery if the car was hit that hard the battery split the last thing your family will be worrying about is battery acid. 

The comment was relating to the fitting of a non AGM Battery in a AGM location but you know that so I am not sure what your angle is here.

None of us want to be invloved in a serious accident yet they happen every day and before you say they don't they do !

And regardless of the circumstances Battery acid in my families eyes will always be something to worry about and should be for anyone.

And of course AGM batteries are installed in vehicles for the sole purpose keeping people safer than they may be without them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Iacocca

My first SAAB 99 bought in 1970 was streets ahead of comparable cars of the age.  It had a girder frame, seat belts, no ignition key to impale your knee and provision for real head restraints.  Headlight wash and wipe soon followed.  I saw the effect of a SAAB being hit dead centre by a concrete rebar pillar.  It dented the roof and smashed the windscreen which remained intact. 

• Like 3

I am not saying serious accidents don't happen every day and I wouldn't put a Battery full of acid inside a car but my point was if you were involved in an accident so serious it split the Battery under your family members seat I doubt any of them would be a live so it's unlikely they are going to be effected by the acid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

So the driver of the vehicle is under some obligation to know “construction and use” requirements.

That's a very tricky one.  For an inaccessible Battery it is probably the last thing a buyer of a second hand car would ask.  

When we changed Mercedes E Class estates on opening the bonnet I saw there was no Battery.  I was told it was in the boot. 

Later, unpacking the boot to get at the 6/7 seats I still did not see it. It was somewhere forward and to the side of the spare wheel. 

Other spec 'improvements' such chipping the ECU would be impossible to check.  Changing lights from tungsten or QH to LED could be checked but how is a second hand buyer to know?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I am not saying serious accidents don't happen every day and I wouldn't put a battery full of acid inside a car but my point was if you were involved in an accident so serious it split the battery under your family members seat I doubt any of them would be a live so it's unlikely they are going to be effected by the acid

OK so your angle is if the Battery is damaged the occupants must be dead ! got it

It's a gloomy outlook on life and I am no an expert in RTA 's like you but beg to differ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hibird said:

The comment was relating to the fitting of a non AGM battery in a AGM location but you know that so I am not sure what your angle is here.

None of us want to be invloved in a serious accident yet they happen every day and before you say they don't they do !

And regardless of the circumstances battery acid in my families eyes will always be something to worry about and should be for anyone.

And of course AGM batteries are installed in vehicles for the sole purpose keeping people safer than they may be without them.

There’s always drama.  If the car has been in a big enough shunt to leak acid from a Battery into the eyes of “your families eyes” then it’s would have to be upside down by which time as it is stated above, the car is likely to be severely damaged with deployed airbags, dowsed in fuel and boiling water, broken glass and whatever else it gathered up on its way to upside down.  To drip in anyone’s eyes, it has to get through or around a cushion. The odd drip of Battery acid will make a nice change to broken sternums and ruptured spleens.  We’ve not even got into what is dripping out of the Scania that’s on top of you or the river that’s flooding in during this rollover. Don’t worry, nobody will put acid in your car without you knowing.  What’s that you’ve got in the boot?   A shopping bag from the supermarket with a weeks shopping and bleach….. oh my god, what if??.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

He was an executive for Ford in the US, then moved to Chrysler. He was reckoned to be the major force behind the development of the infamous Ford Pinto.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, anchorman said:

There’s always drama.  If the car has been in a big enough shunt to leak acid from a battery into the eyes of “your families eyes” then it’s would have to be upside down by which time as it is stated above, the car is likely to be severely damaged with deployed airbags, dowsed in fuel and boiling water, broken glass and whatever else it gathered up on its way to upside down.  To drip in anyone’s eyes, it has to get through or around a cushion. The odd drip of battery acid will make a nice change to broken sternums and ruptured spleens.  We’ve not even got into what is dripping out of the Scania that’s on top of you or the river that’s flooding in during this rollover. Don’t worry, nobody will put acid in your car without you knowing.  What’s that you’ve got in the boot?   A shopping bag from the supermarket with a weeks shopping and bleach….. oh my god, what if??.

Correct there is always Drama and it looks like it has just arrived. But regardless of all your views on the subject cars are safer now because of small and gradual improvements over time to make them so one being AGM batteries. But don't let me stop further dramatisation on the subject.

• Haha 1

Mike, I tend to side with Mike and Don.  I would replace like for like but would not replace a perfectly serviceable lead acid for AGM. 

Don makes an important point.  The majority of cars today are hatch or SUV and where provided the cargo cover is frequently removed. 

Not just bleach but your supermarket shop contains many missiles.  Your 4 pack of baked beans at 1.7kg, now 6 pack at 2.5kg could be lethal. How about a 3kg chicken? 

How many people have been battered with tomato sauce? 

Cargo nets should be a standard fit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Mike, I tend to side with Mike and Don.  I would replace like for like but would not replace a perfectly serviceable lead acid for AGM. 

Don makes an important point.  The majority of cars today are hatch or SUV and where provided the cargo cover is frequently removed. 

Not just bleach but your supermarket shop contains many missiles.  Your 4 pack of baked beans at 1.7kg, now 6 pack at 2.5kg could be lethal. How about a 3kg chicken? 

How many people have been battered with tomato sauce? 

Cargo nets should be a standard fit. 

Roy just for clarity I would replace like for like as well however never underestimate a bottle of tomato sauce !

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links