Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 12 volt high power battery fitted.

Derek.w

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Mike, I tend to side with Mike and Don.  I would replace like for like but would not replace a perfectly serviceable lead acid for AGM. 

Don makes an important point.  The majority of cars today are hatch or SUV and where provided the cargo cover is frequently removed. 

Not just bleach but your supermarket shop contains many missiles.  Your 4 pack of baked beans at 1.7kg, now 6 pack at 2.5kg could be lethal. How about a 3kg chicken? 

How many people have been battered with tomato sauce? 

Cargo nets should be a standard fit. 

That’s true Roy and that piece of tat parcel shelf is more likely to accelerate missiles than restrain them.  The truth is, I don’t fancy acid or anything else dripping on me in a serious accident but I’m definitely not going to worry about.  This modern woke culture propagates this attitude.  I remember in the sixties when people wouldn’t leave the house for fear of nuclear attack.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hibird said:

Roy just for clarity I would replace like for like as well however never underestimate a bottle of tomato sauce !

And I would always encourage owners to put the correct Battery in too Mike 👍

1 hour ago, Hibird said:

OK so your angle is if the battery is damaged the occupants must be dead ! got it

It's a gloomy outlook on life and I am no an expert in RTA 's like you but beg to differ.

If you are going to discuss what I said at least  quote me so it's is accurate -

I actually said

"if you were involved in an accident so serious it split the Battery under your family members"

I am no expert in RTCs but as I said if your car is hit so hard in the rear the damage caused was enough to split the battery  I doubt those sat on top of it are going to come out of it too well.

• Like 2

On the uprated Battery topic but VW not Toyota! My son had a 17 plate Golf GTi still underwarranty the Battery kept going dead, would take a full charge test OK be fine for a day then dead. Whilst looking into options for a new one, we found out that the Battery type had to be udated in the ecu as the intelligent charge system only charged for the capacity of the battery type fitted (any direct like for like replacement would be fine) and a higher cap would not charge fully. In the end VW admiited they had a batch of faulty battery's and replaced under warranty. But the larger capacity battery thread reminded me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, anchorman said:

And I would always encourage owners to put the correct battery in too Mike 👍

For clarity, when I said like for like I actually meant I would put in the correct Battery, ie AGM rather than replace the wrong type with the same wrong type. 

I can say that Kwikfit were puncillious when replacing a Battery.  They were surprised at the required spec but that's what they fitted. 

Ref Don's post below, that would explain Kwikfit's position. 

2 minutes ago, Knorton said:

On the uprated battery topic but VW not Toyota! My son had a 17 plate Golf GTi still underwarranty the battery kept going dead, would take a full charge test OK be fine for a day then dead. Whilst looking into options for a new one, we found out that the battery type had to be udated in the ecu as the intelligent charge system only charged for the capacity of the battery type fitted (any direct like for like would be fine) and a higher cap would not charged fully. In the end VW admiited they had a batch of faulty battery's and replaced under warranty. But the larger cappacity battery thread reminded me.

You have to re sync the Battery on a lot of German cars but not a Toyota.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

For clarity, when I said like for like I actually meant I would put in the correct battery, ie AGM rather than replace the wrong type with the same wrong type. 

I can say that Kwikfit were puncillious when replacing a battery.  They were surprised at the required spec but that's what they fitted. 

I know what you meant Roy, I just wanted Mike to know I’m not opposed to his point of using the proper part.  

43 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

If you are going to discuss what I said at least  quote me so it's is accurate -

I actually said

"if you were involved in an accident so serious it split the battery under your family members"

I am no expert in RTCs but as I said if your car is hit so hard in the rear the damage caused was enough to split the battery  I doubt those sat on top of it are going to come out of it too well.

I assumed a split Battery would would also be damaged, no worries if that is important you are indeed right. But feel a lot more comfortable with death thing being downgraded to not coming out of it too well.

And of course my Battery is in the boot so don't tend to think of people sitting on it.

34 Ah is "small" compared to a starter Battery for a conventional ICE, but that gives 12 * 34 = 408 Wh of power.

If the Battery is going dead in 2-3 days (and knowing how "computers" are sensitive to voltage, i.e. they stop working before totally killing their power source) then that means something is taking a good chunk of power in the "idle" state.

Are replacement batteries fixing this issue though? I have been following this thread, yet still in the dark.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

He was an executive for Ford in the US, then moved to Chrysler. He was reckoned to be the major force behind the development of the infamous Ford Pinto.

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

He was an executive for Ford in the US, then moved to Chrysler. He was reckoned to be the major force behind the development of the infamous Ford Pinto.

Looked him up, he had a long and colorful career in the car industry.

4 hours ago, Hibird said:

And of course my battery is in the boot so don't tend to think of people sitting on it.

This is the Yaris forum i assumed we were discussing the placement of the 12v battey on the hybrid Yaris. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

This is the Yaris forum i assumed we were discussing the placement of the 12v battey on the hybrid Yaris. 

And so is it better to replace with bigger Battery or not? Or perhaps we need more time the op will confirm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I had a MK4 Hybrid Yaris for a year Launch edition with HUD and all the toys, great car with a standard sized AGM Battery, never needed to upgrade anything and no issues of any kind and of course was diiscussing that vehicle.

Current vehicle is of course shown in my profile.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Back to the original battery specifcations its NOT a AGM type read lable please.

IMG_0466.thumb.JPG.04f78ea6f5439bc69f671d9edb1c7752.JPG

Its a calcium battery

That’s a Turkish Battery. Was that the original that the car came out from the factory with? 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

And so is it better to replace with bigger battery or not? Or perhaps we need more time the op will confirm. 

I would be OK with the smaller Battery as i will drive often but if i were to replace it as it was not longer charging etc I would go with the bigger Battery especially if the price was similar.

If i didn't drive often (as some members in these threads)i would still go for the bigger one  and would use the once a week drive to both do the shopping etc and get the Battery topped up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s a Turkish battery. Was that the original that the car came out from the factory with? 

Yes Tony it was the original factory fitted Battery and the chepest replacment I can find came with 300Amp rating thats still higher than Toyota are fitting.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Yes Tony it was the original factory fitted battery and the chepest replacment I can find came with 300Amp rating thats still higher than Toyota are fitting.

Thanks for the update. 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I have been following this thread, yet still in the dark.

Is that because your Battery has failed?

(Sorry!)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

Is that because your battery has failed?

(Sorry!)

Not a complete failure just having to recharge it 2 or 3 times a week.

To date I have not recharged the replacment and its voltage is just checking 12.53 volts thats after 6 days next week will be a big test as it will be parked up for 4 days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Not a complete failure just having to recharge it 2 or 3 times a week.

To date I have not recharged the replacment and its voltage is just checking 12.53 volts thats after 6 days next week will be a big test as it will be parked up for 4 days.

Yes keep us updated Derek, you may have just resolved a problem for a lot of Yaris Hybrid owners.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2023 at 9:57 AM, anchorman said:

There’s always drama.  If the car has been in a big enough shunt to leak acid from a battery into the eyes of “your families eyes” then it’s would have to be upside down by which time as it is stated above, the car is likely to be severely damaged with deployed airbags, dowsed in fuel and boiling water, broken glass and whatever else it gathered up on its way to upside down.  To drip in anyone’s eyes, it has to get through or around a cushion. The odd drip of battery acid will make a nice change to broken sternums and ruptured spleens.  We’ve not even got into what is dripping out of the Scania that’s on top of you or the river that’s flooding in during this rollover. Don’t worry, nobody will put acid in your car without you knowing.  What’s that you’ve got in the boot?   A shopping bag from the supermarket with a weeks shopping and bleach….. oh my god, what if??.

That's the funniest think i gave read here in ages.  

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 10:24 AM, Roy124 said:

How many people have been battered with tomato sauce? 

You'll be lucky to get hit by tomato sauce its getting to be a rarity on the supermarket shelves thanks to that utter utter barsteward Putin.

• Like 1

Latest update Battery is a week old now the gap in the graph is the change over point.

IMG_0473.thumb.PNG.b9a984f6a598e7b5f086d3aa2b6dc958.PNG

No need to recharge at the moment so maybe onece a week for topping up the Battery lets see what happens over the next 2 or 3 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Latest update battery is a week old now the gap in the graph is the change over point.

IMG_0473.thumb.PNG.b9a984f6a598e7b5f086d3aa2b6dc958.PNG

No need to recharge at the moment so maybe onece a week for topping up the battery lets see what happens over the next 2 or 3 days.

Two things stand out there.  The first is the flat line after the peaks except after the 3rd.  What's different? 

The second is the 7 day period.  My BM6 only offers 1,3,5.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links