Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 12 volt high power battery fitted.

Derek.w

12 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Two things stand out there.  The first is the flat line after the peaks except after the 3rd.  What's different? 

The second is the 7 day period.  My BM6 only offers 1,3,5.

Roy124 First line is starting up checking no engine errors codes then locking car up(car did not move).

Second spike down on third day I needed some kit out of the car so just unlocking relocking car.

I am using BM2 monitor it offers 1,7 & 15 days displays.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2023 at 7:30 PM, Derek.w said:

Yes Tony it was the original factory fitted battery and the chepest replacment I can find came with 300Amp rating thats still higher than Toyota are fitting.

Where was your car manufactured?  France or CZ ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RickyC said:

Where was your car manufactured?  France or CZ ?

France As I remember tracking it from France on delevery updates from factory.

10 hours ago, Derek.w said:

France As I remember tracking it from France on delevery updates from factory.

If it’s France it will have an A before the last 6 numbers of the VIN.  

anchorman Yes Just checked chassie/vin number A followed by 6 numbers

• Like 1

What's the issue with the 12v Battery why is it needing to be charged so often? Had a new Yaris Cross for a month or so & haven't had any issues.

Cheers, Chris

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chris01942 said:

What's the issue with the 12v battery why is it needing to be charged so often? Had a new Yaris Cross for a month or so & haven't had any issues.

Cheers, Chris

No issues. Some people simply not using their cars often or not as intended for and get Battery problems. If you drive daily you have nothing to worry about. 👍

• Like 7

This thread is 19 pages long if you start here it'll give you a good idea of what is going on without reading it all - 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Its coming up to 10 Days without charging the battery.

Counting from the gap on 18/Feb/22

IMG_0476.thumb.PNG.73c83e7132d672db82642e2cd656506c.PNG

Looks like my heart print out.

Derek.....I've a cheap TV for sale.  🙂

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Its coming up to 10 Days without charging the battery.

Counting from the gap on 18/Feb/22

IMG_0476.thumb.PNG.73c83e7132d672db82642e2cd656506c.PNG

Yes, it looks like minimal discharge.  I assume you mean you have not run the car apart from a brief Ready mode excursion.  The 'Covid Flats' probably occurred with many of us having driven the car 'normally' ie drive, switch off, drive back, all short journeys.  Once the Battery has been allowed to go flat your remaining Battery life is counting down.

What this thread serves to do is provide answers and how to learn to use the hybrid properly.

• Like 5

Latest infomation without using a mains or solar charger!.

IMG_0487.thumb.PNG.8839ec000e539b6bf3ccbf7a98620d2e.PNG

Thats 15 days without mains or solar charging just might charge it tomorow before the cold snap arrives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Latest infomation without using a mains or solar charger!.

IMG_0487.thumb.PNG.8839ec000e539b6bf3ccbf7a98620d2e.PNG

Thats 15 days without mains or solar charging just might charge it tomorow before the cold snap arrives.

I have been following your updates with interest Derek and the new Battery has clearly resolved your 3 times a week week charging routine.

The Feb 24 > Mar 2 period says it all !

So the old Battery for whatever reason had had better days or suffered damage from excessive discharge, do you have thoughts on which when or how ?.

Keep us updated

Mike, assuming you had the car from new you will have some info.  If you ever needed a jump start that says the Battery was below the necessary voltage to start.  Then, depending on the period since you last used it, the amount of discharge could be significant. 

A less obvious problem is a succession of short charge periods so that the Battery is running at its lower operational range.  It still energises the system but is suffering degradation until it protests and won't start. 

In this latter case, a short non-use period is enough. 

I might add, when I was doing a daily monitor, the Corolla lead acid Battery showed a gradual decline but beyond about 11.5v seemed to drop rapidly to 8v.

Don't try this at home. 

16 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Mike, assuming you had the car from new you will have some info.  If you ever needed a jump start that says the battery was below the necessary voltage to start.  Then, depending on the period since you last used it, the amount of discharge could be significant. 

A less obvious problem is a succession of short charge periods so that the battery is running at its lower operational range.  It still energises the system but is suffering degradation until it protests and won't start. 

In this latter case, a short non-use period is enough. 

Yep Roy I completely agree with all your thoughts and am hoping Derek may be able to add to his story with any specifics that he feels may have contributed the predicament he found himself in.

Also any actions he may be considering to prevent any further issues, all of which may be of help for less well informed members.

Well the Battery was flat & needed a jumpstart on 21/1/22 that I presume was part of the problem the other part is use  milage well below normal 5000+ per year you expect for the car.

I now monitor the car Battery using a BM monitor & probably give it a boost every 15 days.

Old Battery its standing at 12.53 volts since I removed it so if I was a higher milage chap without the short journeys & the constant stop/starting that I do I suppose the battery would be ok.

All is not lost as I do have a project in mind for the old 12 volt battery.

• Like 1

Interesting. You need to keep a longer term watch on this without you manually charging the Battery

If you extrapolate the minimum points the trend is slightly downward. That may not (hopefully) be an issue as to coin a phrase 'its just the newness wearing off' but it will be interesting to see over a longer time period.

575997658_Screenshot2023-03-05200238.thumb.png.4fe3f4f3e856b5b9eceb0b73872f2db1.png

• Like 2

If you can download the voltage analytics then  note the voltage at midnight and to the following midnight over any 2 to 3 day period or longer when the car is not used. This will give the loss per day. 

You can then extrapolate this to days per volt.  I did this and IIRC got something over a month per volt. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

If you can download the voltage analytics then  note the voltage at midnight and to the following midnight over any 2 to 3 day period or longer when the car is not used. This will give the loss per day. 

You can then extrapolate this to days per volt.  I did this and IIRC got something over a month per volt. 

Going off the voltage drop per day it's not liner take the end reading of 12.39 volts next day it was still 12.39 volts then I recharged the Battery for this epected cold snap.

Derek, 12.39 each day is linear just the loss, if any, is less than 0.01v.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, Roy124 said:

Voltage drop in a 24 hour period 0.12volt. 2 hours standing before 24  hour period

Voltage drop 5 days earlier in a 24 hour period 0.01volt.  8 hours standing before the 24 hour period

Thats all the data I have at the moment will try a 3 day period when time allows.

Even the ambient temperature has a noticeable effect on the loss of capacity

image.thumb.jpeg.f464efd6d2b20c977380221842ae243b.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.e75b0da66c668ca2e538032b83056f0b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.03a657aabf7ed6ae85308fdfb6c240b0.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.2d21b6f0e7e8d868ea77c05194e842c1.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Voltage drop in a 24 hour period 0.12volt. 2 hours standing before 24  hour period

Voltage drop 5 days earlier in a 24 hour period 0.01volt.  8 hours standing before the 24 hour period

Thats all the data I have at the moment will try a 3 day period when time allows.

That standing period is critical in determing the long term drop.  That is why I chose midnight as the start.  With our driving pattern it allows for 7-8 hours rest to stabilise. 

It's fascinating how much that little gadget reveals about the electronic workings. 

• Like 3

My readings are taken at 7 AM so you looking at a standing pereod of 9 hours minimum.

I left the lights on the other day and despite it having no trouble starting, I thought I’d pop it on the CTEK until needed again.  I screenshot the Hive plug readout as follows (times shown)

image.thumb.png.713a5706cee29f51785d54b0eea87a6a.pngimage.thumb.png.5ed43ca06f925d55f73686c04498f33b.pngimage.thumb.png.eebc583fc6bbb761595c7cacce6578bf.pngimage.thumb.png.938ffcc92faebf063e853b52545556bb.pngimage.thumb.png.3cda43302d4b8ff5c4a435894d4943c0.png

image.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links