Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris cross still a rare sight

Primus1

17 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I put brighter bulbs in the Mk.3. The stock are inadequate when it's wet. I'd argue dangerous.

Again i say for me its never been a problem maybe visit Specsavers  😉

It's not an eye problem, just physics - When the road is wet, it reflects much more of your headlights light away from you, esp. when dipped. You can see the reflections from oncoming vehicles on the wet road surface.

I'd argue against getting brighter lights to try and 'fix' it, as all you're mostly doing is sending more light at the people in front of you, but since everybody does it it's a bit moot.

I do sometimes wonder if we had polarized headlights, tuned for maximum back reflection, would that help?

I will say, esp. in the day time when the sun is low, this is where polarized sunglasses are AWESOME - They filter out so much of the glare reflected from the wet road, it's like having super vision compared to without them :biggrin: 

(I really miss being able to use mine as they also filter out the HUD! :crybaby: )

• Like 3

Agreed, actually only the perfectly aligned headlights does not cause blind issues to the oncoming cars. If too high or too low they will blind the cars on the opposite side. What’s been mentioned above happens even at dry weather, direct reflection and into the oncoming cars. When lights are properly aligned and the light pattern slides into the road at certain angle gives the most field of view without distracting others. The problem these days with cars and powerful led’s is mostly the drivers fault plus auto function failure. 
Another thing is that many of these modern headlights that can light ahead at different angles and height those light pattern they create is related to the vehicle speed , often when you get blinded it’s a pure sign of that car drivers is speeding. 

• Like 3

Saw 3 Yaris Cross in Perth yesterday.  That’s Perth Australia. 

• Like 5

Loads in my area, very popular with the mature lady and gentleman for some reason 🤔

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'd argue against getting brighter lights to try and 'fix' it, as all you're mostly doing is sending more light at the people in front of you, but since everybody does it it's a bit moot.

They're not stupidly bright. They're still dimmer than most, but the additional light is "sufficient". Overall they're pretty good.

I'd actually be interested in trying yellow headlight bulbs to see what they're like. I know Scandanavian countries use(d) them to reduce glare in the snow, but they've all but disappeared in the last 20 years. Curious as to why.

Part of the problem with halogen is the color temperature. Less blue component means more refraction/reflection from water. Blue is better for penetrating water which is one reason LED headlights seem "clearer" in wet weather.

• Like 2

Yellow are better for snow/fog/rain. OEM Hid are 4300k which is very good, though i'd prefer 5000k. Such is the trend of blink the manufacturer are not giving any option on light temperature of led, 6000k only, while the option of going for more blink wheels are given? 

While led are a major improvement over halogen, 6000k is not the sensible choice, this frustrates me as I know what temperature are the best. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I know Scandanavian countries use(d) them to reduce glare in the snow, but they've all but disappeared in the last 20 years. Curious as to why.

Can't ever remember any Scandinavian country that used yellow headlights, the only country I knew that used them was France.

Why did they disappear? Because Brussels wanted to standardise vehicle specs throughout the EU.

Why did they have them in the first place? Because the French require a certain  'je ne sais quoi' just to be French. 🤣

All the supposed benefits of yellow headlights are complete b0ll0cks. The only purpose of headlights is to see and be seen and in that capacity they were inferior to white lights.

• Like 1

But why are yellow tinted glasses advertised as helping low-light driving then...?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

But why are yellow tinted glasses advertised as helping low-light driving then...?

For the same reason Persil Automatic is advertised as getting your whites, whiter than white. The clue is the word 'advertising'.

Anyway, do glasses project light? Do glasses illuminate the road in front of you? We're talking about the ability to project light.

There's a reason nobody in the whole world ( inculding the French ) use yellow headlights lights.

• Like 2

It used to be a very showy offy thing in the 70s and 80s to have your headlights coated with yellow,beam deflectors, and a big GB sticker still on when returning from France.

And leave them on, I suppose now they'd call it humble bragging.

A much bigger deal to take your car abroad then though,in my circles anyhow.

My how fine my 105e Anglia looked all dressed up like that, and with its Carlos Fandango wide steels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, RonYarisX said:

For the same reason Persil Automatic is advertised as getting your whites, whiter than white. The clue is the word 'advertising'.

Anyway, do glasses project light? Do glasses illuminate the road in front of you? We're talking about the ability to project light.

There's a reason nobody in the whole world ( inculding the French ) use yellow headlights lights.

Actually it's true! They used to put phosphorous compounds in which would make clothes fluoresce slightly, hence why they could get away with the 'whiter than white' thing without ASA coming down on them! :laugh:  

And I wasn't talking about light, just the yellow thing - Supposedly filtering out blue light allows the eye better contrast at night which is why yellow night driving glasses is a thing, and I assume why some companies hit on this yellow headlamp idea.

It's a bit moot since the advent of excessively blue LEDs is now the norm, but there are reasons for it!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jimota said:

Saw 3 Yaris Cross in Perth yesterday.  That’s Perth Australia. 

Crikey James, you need to get familiar with that satnav 😉

• Haha 5

Saw a black one in front of us yesterday, couldn’t get close enough to have a proper look…

• Haha 1

Here in my place(Sezana city-Slovenia)i saw 4 diferent yaris. Only 1 was hybrid

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marjan said:

Here in my place(Sezana city-Slovenia)i saw 4 diferent yaris. Only 1 was hybrid

Eastern Europe many customers aren’t aware of the benefits of having a hybrid and buy non hybrid Toyota models and perhaps that’s why they are still available there. Noticed that in Bulgaria last summer. It was a first time  for me to see a  non hybrid Yaris mk4 and Corolla saloon.
Actually I wouldn’t mind having a non hybrid Toyota if I live in a small town., they are still better than most other ice cars. 

• Like 3

When I was in bucharest, Romania in the summer/autumn last year saw about 2 MK4 Yaris, some MK3 Yaris, a couple of corollas, a chr, a rav4 and some aygos. Didn't check whether the yaris were hybrid. Though the one in the photo had all leather seats. 

Most were older cars what we had in the 2000's. It's a developing country afterall. So would imagine hybrid cost is a big factor on limited ownership. IMG_20220915_103448.thumb.jpg.63a1ea2d9d1daec92b0ca99267b00504.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

When I was in bucharest, Romania in the summer/autumn last year saw about 2 MK4 Yaris, some MK3 Yaris, a couple of corollas, a chr and some aygos. Didn't check whether the yaris were hybrid. Though the one in the photo had all leather seats. 

Most were older cars what we had in the 2000's. It's a developing country afterall. So would imagine hybrid cost is a big factor on limited ownership. IMG_20220915_103448.thumb.jpg.63a1ea2d9d1daec92b0ca99267b00504.jpg

Same, non hybrid Yaris. Most of these I seen were company cars too, Coca-Cola, Heineken and similar. Seen hybrids as luxury cars and those belong to lawyers, doctors etc, and indeed they are way more expensive than the petrol versions. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Saw a black one in front of us yesterday, couldn’t get close enough to have a proper look…

That will be the 'collision avoidance' thingy working! 😀

• Haha 5

Saw a grey Cross in a hotel car park in Grange over Sands yesterday, i think it's my favourite colour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Saw a grey Cross in a hotel car park in Grange over Sands yesterday, i think it's my favourite colour. 

Hi Max, nice place Grange over Sands, we've stayed in the Netherwood hotel a couple of times over the years 👍 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Max, nice place Grange over Sands, we've stayed in the Netherwood hotel a couple of times over the years 👍 

Small world, that was the car park where the Grey cross was parked.  

Wedding Venue in Grange-over-Sands, The Netherwood Hotel & Spa | UKbride

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Max, I remember having to park my MX5 in a car park further down the entrance road, but could still see it from my room window 👍

We were heading down to Silverstone and broke the journey with a night in the hotel. We had previously been to a wedding in the hotel and wanted to see it again.

• Like 3

I wonder if the top places are for the owners etc.

You can see the lower car park in the picture below.

nnnnnnnnnnre.JPG

• Like 2

Travelling from the Margaret River Wine region back towards Perth, Western Australia, decided to stop at the Crooked Carrot for a coffee.  On returning to the car park, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw a Yaris Cross Hybrid parked next to my on loan Saab 93 1.8T convertible.  Have seen quite a few Crosses but this is the first hybrid model that I’ve encountered. Since driving the Saab I’ve been getting some strange looks from some of the male Aussie drivers.  Maybe the number plate will give you a clue as to the reasons why.  I now drive with the hood up.

A005A3C3-2F4B-443B-8A5B-C09A783DAD65.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links