Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car key/ keyless entry

Primus1

Is it such a problem though with everyday cars that people buy?, I expect if you have a high end car, say Range Rover or porche ect, then yes, you might need to take the necessary precautions, these cars are usually stolen to order for abroad or broken for parts, but a normal, ie, not performance car, are they such a target?, I’m sure the yobbo who fancies a joyride, isn’t going to invest in equipment to steal cars, of course you never know and I’m sure putting your key in a little bag or box brings piece of mind. I’m fortunate enough to keep my car in a garage overnight and when I’m at home, so no need to take any extra precautions, I don’t even lock it, though, I’m not sure if I’ll need to when I get the cross…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tommy X said:

My Y C Design has keyless and push button start

I think Max was referred to a Yaris HB.. which doesn’t.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I think Max was referred to a Yaris HB.. which doesn’t.

Yes it is the Yaris Cross hybrid i intend to buy.

• Like 1

Yaris mk4 keyless entry and push button start on excel and GR specs only, Yaris cross all trim levels 👍

For me this keyless it’s the must have option on any Toyota hybrids and it’s the first thing that make the hybrid experience different from all other ice cars. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yaris cross all trim levels

I may be misreading what you have posted but this is for the Cross,  Icon and Design don't get it - 

sssssssssse.thumb.JPG.02d603839cc9e55b6f2621b2dc54cf16.JPG

7 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I may be misreading what you have posted but this is for the Cross,  Icon and Design don't get it - 

Have you confirmed with the Toyota official website when placing an order? Unless been changed for 2023 products the previous years all trim levels of Yaris cross came with push button start, perhaps not smart entry but at least push start button. 

7 hours ago, IT Troll said:

This is incorrect if you have a modern key fob with a motion detector (which the OP will have). Modern fobs stop transmitting after a being stationary for a few seconds and so there is nothing to relay. Your advice only applies to old fobs.

Yes, of course this only applies to older fobs (which ATM most of them out there are..). I was simply correcting the general statement (not made by the OP) that Faraday boxes etc are not needed. 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Have you confirmed with the Toyota official website when placing an order?

I haven't placed an order but have been keeping an eye on used cars on auto trader, the one below has push button start and a key hole in the handle i checked the specs and no mention of keyless entry, it looks like the design doesn't have it. 

Toyota Yaris Cross Estate

1.5 Hybrid Design 5dr CVT

2022 (22 reg)

eeeee.thumb.JPG.3242fc6ca949555a0df45948dfc7e4f2.JPG

Checked a 2023 design and it is listed - 

Toyota Yaris Cross

2023 (72 reg)

Captu111111re.thumb.JPG.eade8951adf43e884b6f914ffbf60927.JPG

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I haven't placed an order but have been keeping an eye on used cars on auto trader, the one below has push button start and a key hole in the handle i checked the specs and no mention of keyless entry, it looks like the design doesn't have it. 

Toyota Yaris Cross Estate

2022 (22 reg)

eeeee.thumb.JPG.3242fc6ca949555a0df45948dfc7e4f2.JPG

The key hole is for emergency use only via the hidden physical key part of the key fob. If you look on the other end of the handle there are two lines openings that housing the sensor for looking the car. This confirms the car has smart entry and push start button as seen. 👍

Are you after a design spec Yaris cross? 

I thought this was the keyless handle - 

JAOS DOOR HANDLE PROTECTOR TYPE-B FOR TOYOTA YARIS CROSS B636102 - Black  Hawk Japan

15 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Are you after a design spec Yaris cross? 

I will be but it'll be a while before i buy i have only just bought the MK3

1 minute ago, Max_Headroom said:

I will be but it'll be a while before i buy i have only just bought the MK3

Ok, 

the pic above is for the passenger door so no emergency lock 🔐 

• Like 1

So it looks like there isn't a non keyless option i think maybe the auto trader ads were missing the detail for some but not all models.

This would have put me off buying one but due to the fact Toyota have given us the option to  disable it i will still treat myself in the not too distant future.

I assume this is the same procedure for the Cross.

• Like 1

More or less; That's the procedure for the original head unit with the 2 knobs, but the newer ones with bigger screen but one knob it's slightly different.

• 11 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 9:56 AM, RickyC said:

Close the car.

Take the key off your pocket at put on the floor close to the car ( in the key working range ) and leave for some seconds ( 20-30 sec ).

Open and close the car touching the handle, just to be sure that key is in the range.

Then without touching the key try to open the car.  If the key has gone  in auto-sleep the car should not open.

That is not entirely correct my friend. The key is active. The computer knows you close the car. The key transmits signals on a regular basis to check the condition the car is in. If you are out range it will try to hook up to other systems. Should not but it does. FOBS are totally useless gadgets.

I have also tried this trick, however, thieves have simple hacking tools which will read your key signal even if you are a mile away from your car and then go there and steel it.

DYOR though the web and you will find many an information on this.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:20 AM, Corollanutter said:

This is incorrect. The theft method used is called a "Relay attack" where (on a simple level) a high stength low frequency transmitter is used to activate the key inside the house, which then makes the key send the "unlock" command to the vehicle. This method works over tens of feet, making the use of a Faraday box or pouch a very sound idea. Otherwise you need to switch off the key every evening (or whenever) or disable the keyless entry on a permanent basis.

One of many options. This is the most well known one.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:20 AM, Corollanutter said:

This is incorrect. The theft method used is called a "Relay attack" where (on a simple level) a high stength low frequency transmitter is used to activate the key inside the house, which then makes the key send the "unlock" command to the vehicle. This method works over tens of feet, making the use of a Faraday box or pouch a very sound idea. Otherwise you need to switch off the key every evening (or whenever) or disable the keyless entry on a permanent basis.

One of many options. This is the most well known one.

My neighbour used a Faraday pouch whilst at home.

Unfortunately his car was stolen whilst he was in the local cafe, with his car parked around the corner, as the keys didn't go to sleep in his pocket.

I don't know anyone that uses a Faraday pouch whilst out and about but it makes you think

On 3/31/2023 at 4:40 PM, Max_Headroom said:

Found the answer.

My 22 Yaris Cross Icon has Smart entry and push button start.............I have turned off the keyless entry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Unfortunately his car was stolen whilst he was in the local cafe, with his car parked around the corner, as the keys didn't go to sleep in his pocket.

If you cannot turn KE off why not buy a small pouch just for the key fob for when you are out and about.

image.thumb.png.e7f516bc77681f6b05c38c936a11d636.png image.thumb.png.f4172b64a3ddd40986c2f34828ad7d78.png

I use a Faraday pouch all the time but you can stop the keyless entry after locking by holding the lock button then pressing the open button twice. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:36 AM, Dick_Dastardly said:

I don't know anyone that uses a Faraday pouch whilst out and about but it makes you think

My friend always has one with him and puts the key in no matter where he is. So there are people out there who put their key in a Faraday pouch out and about!

On 3/18/2024 at 9:20 AM, Dezzer21 said:

you can stop the keyless entry after locking by holding the lock button then pressing the open button twice.

You don't need to lock the car first. It locks anyway when you hold the lock button (as long as you are in range).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links