Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car key/ keyless entry

Primus1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:03 AM, Al-Kibir2017 said:

That is not entirely correct my friend. The key is active. The computer knows you close the car. The key transmits signals on a regular basis to check the condition the car is in. If you are out range it will try to hook up to other systems.

Not the modern ones. If they do not sense motion they sleep and do not transmit anything. This mitigates against the relay attack for people who leave their keys by the front door.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:03 AM, Al-Kibir2017 said:

I have also tried this trick, however, thieves have simple hacking tools which will read your key signal even if you are a mile away from your car and then go there and steel it.

How do they know which car is yours?

14 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Not the modern ones. If they do not sense motion they sleep and do not transmit anything. This mitigates against the relay attack for people who leave their keys by the front door.

How do they know which car is yours?

Simple.  A thief follows you for a mile after you've locked the car while another waits that you put down the keys. 😁

Jokes apart they usuallu use this trick.  One thief waits close to your car with a transmitter and another follows you with a receiver.  The two units talk each other creating a bridge that relays the data exchanged between key and car. 

There's no need to follow you a mile away. Usually the thief follows you in a crowded place like a bar or a shop where he can get close to you without create suspects.

14 hours ago, RickyC said:

One thief waits close to your car with a transmitter and another follows you with a receiver.

Yeah, that is more how I expected it would work. I think most attacks happen in public car parks (more potential targets). As you walking away one person gets close to the car whilst the other gets close to you. Timing is critical, you need to be out of range and moving, but the distance between the attackers needs to be short enough that the time-based authentication is still valid. Quite tricky to pull off without you noticing.

Busy public car parks are the only time I would be cautious. Either turn off the fob (hold lock and press unlock twice) or pop it in a Faraday pouch.

• Like 1

I very quickly became fed up of disabling they key every time, and often forgot completely, so I turned off the keyless entry permanently in the vehicle settings 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 6:27 PM, Dick_Dastardly said:

I very quickly became fed up of disabling they key every time, and often forgot completely, so I turned off the keyless entry permanently in the vehicle settings 

Right. Here comes the crucial Question. How do we turn off the Keyless Entry permanently? Where and how can one access that Menu on a 2023 Yaris Cross? 

That is crucial information to people who are concerned, with this.

Thank you everyone for the tips and time taken to reply to my comments.

Still remember that the y FOB keys are still alive unless we just simply deactivated them completely. That is power off. back to basics.

Automatismus is a good thing, but becomes a danger in so many ways. 

Then there are the connections through GSM from our cars to the Makers Servers which is an infringement of our privacy. ie. My car in spite of everything blocked still tells me that I left a window open or else... Try switch that of. Some people have disconnect the Antenna.  

8 minutes ago, Al-Kibir2017 said:

Then there are the connections through GSM from our cars to the Makers Servers which is an infringement of our privacy. ie. My car in spite of everything blocked still tells me that I left a window open or else... Try switch that of. Some people have disconnect the Antenna.  

Disconnecting the antenna will also disable the eCall system which could help save you & your passengers life in the event of an accident. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Disconnecting the antenna will also disable the eCall system which could help save you & your passengers life in the event of an accident. 

Could, you said it right. So Two Smartphones on Board GSM connection, Side road phones (in some cases) not enough?

What did we all do no so long ago? Gees.... We all died. oh,I am an hologram of my former life.

hey, why get out of home. Just stay in. Less danger... Really? No disrespect.

What happens if you have an heart attack and are alone at home? Or fall down hit your head and break your hip and your Mobile or any phone are on the other side of the house? Life has become an automated issue and people are all scared.

My mother at 89 fell at home, dragged herself to the nearest phone she had at home (only one) and called me. I was 300 Km away. My brother 2 Km, but had his phone off. Yes... without on of us no one would get into the house. I asked her a few things later her answer was in the old days we just lived and survived. I had no phone she said. We screamed for help. The dog would bark, There was always someone around. Those were a words. 

C'mon guys. Govs control our movement they don't give a hoot about our health or life that is a social gimmick. They would be glad we all lived healthy and without health costs, worked and pay taxes until we dropped. Unhealthy and accident prone people are redundant for them. The GSM is for control. Rules like seat belts were invented to save lives but became a form of revenue for the authorities. Check the Budgets, it is written there how much is estimated every year on Fines revenue. Tendency always increasing. No kidding! Sorry for the rant.

I don't really care about e-Call, Black boxes, and such things on my cars. The cars are mine and are private property. I like to ram on them and be free. Dying or not is my choice.

• Haha 1

I have similar concerns, that’s why my next mode of transport will be a horse and cart.  😀

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Al-Kibir2017 said:

Right. Here comes the crucial Question. How do we turn off the Keyless Entry permanently? Where and how can one access that Menu on a 2023 Yaris Cross? 

That is crucial information to people who are concerned, with this.

Thank you everyone for the tips and time taken to reply to my comments.

Still remember that the y FOB keys are still alive unless we just simply deactivated them completely. That is power off. back to basics.

Automatismus is a good thing, but becomes a danger in so many ways. 

First ensure that the ignition is on as the option is not visible if you are only in Accessory mode.

In the main  centre console press on the Settings icon then there is a menu link on the left  called "vehicle settings"

They keyless door/start option is under that.

Bear in mind that if you turn it off then you also turn off keyless start you you need to hold your key next to the start button when putting into Ready mode. You'll get a confirmatory beep. This is a minor annoyance but you're getting extra security so I feel it's worth it 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone checked to see if newer Yaris / Yaris Cross models has motion sensing keyless fobs? 

3 hours ago, Al-Kibir2017 said:

Could, you said it right. So Two Smartphones on Board GSM connection, Side road phones (in some cases) not enough?

What did we all do no so long ago? Gees.... We all died. oh,I am an hologram of my former life.

hey, why get out of home. Just stay in. Less danger... Really? No disrespect.

What happens if you have an heart attack and are alone at home? Or fall down hit your head and break your hip and your Mobile or any phone are on the other side of the house? Life has become an automated issue and people are all scared.

My mother at 89 fell at home, dragged herself to the nearest phone she had at home (only one) and called me. I was 300 Km away. My brother 2 Km, but had his phone off. Yes... without on of us no one would get into the house. I asked her a few things later her answer was in the old days we just lived and survived. I had no phone she said. We screamed for help. The dog would bark, There was always someone around. Those were a words. 

C'mon guys. Govs control our movement they don't give a hoot about our health or life that is a social gimmick. They would be glad we all lived healthy and without health costs, worked and pay taxes until we dropped. Unhealthy and accident prone people are redundant for them. The GSM is for control. Rules like seat belts were invented to save lives but became a form of revenue for the authorities. Check the Budgets, it is written there how much is estimated every year on Fines revenue. Tendency always increasing. No kidding! Sorry for the rant.

I don't really care about e-Call, Black boxes, and such things on my cars. The cars are mine and are private property. I like to ram on them and be free. Dying or not is my choice.

I live on my own and having been carted off to hospital 8 times with heart problems I wear a multi network sim watch. If I need emergency assistance I just press the button and it calls a 24/7 call centre and they speak to me via the watch. If I don't respond they ring my mobile, my neighbour next and last resort 999. The watch also has GPS tracking/fall detection so they can pinpoint where I am to within about 100m. I can also nominate someone to track my activity.

The service costs about £20 month and for me it's worth every penny. 

Hopefully I won't end up dead on the floor for weeks like my brother.

20240421_144248.thumb.jpg.bd318410259c2dac52c5c31f4463d8fb.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

First ensure that the ignition is on as the option is not visible if you are only in Accessory mode.

In the main  centre console press on the Settings icon then there is a menu link on the left  called "vehicle settings"

They keyless door/start option is under that.

Bear in mind that if you turn it off then you also turn off keyless start you you need to hold your key next to the start button when putting into Ready mode. You'll get a confirmatory beep. This is a minor annoyance but you're getting extra security so I feel it's worth it 

That should say "Main entertainment screen" rather than centre console 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links