Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Addons to fixed price servicing

Andrew56

11 hours ago, IT Troll said:

I only really drive for leisure and so actively seek out those mountain passes. The photo in my profile is at 520m. The engine starts to make quite a weird sound once you descend and the HV battery is at maximum charge.

Yeap, because the Battery its getting full and the engine is spinning high rpm to discharge it, could reach 2500 rpm or more. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yeap, because the battery its getting full and the engine is spinning high rpm to discharge it, could reach 2500 rpm or more. 

What?  Mine revs high but it’s to produce engine braking. 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, anchorman said:

What?  Mine revs high but it’s to produce engine braking. 🤷🏻‍♂️

When going downhill and the hybrid Battery gets fully charged the engine kicks in at very high rpm 3k easily and this is to discharge the Battery. This is also happening just after you come to a complete stop and the engine kicks in for no obvious reason and your hv Battery is full. 
If you select ev mode via the button the car will tell you it’s not available currently. Once the battery it’s discharged a bit ev mode will be available. 
Another thing some may haven’t noticed yet is that the battery gets hot when is charged going downhill, when at high speed drives or long hours drive and the cooling fan is spinning at higher rpm and when you switch off the car you get this turbine like whining from the fan. 👍

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

When going downhill and the hybrid battery gets fully charged the engine kicks in at very high rpm 3k easily and this is to discharge the battery. This is also happening just after you come to a complete stop and the engine kicks in for no obvious reason and your hv battery is full. 
If you select ev mode via the button the car will tell you it’s not available currently. Once the battery it’s discharged a bit ev mode will be available. 
Another thing some may haven’t noticed yet is that the battery gets hot when is charged going downhill, when at high speed drives or long hours drive and the cooling fan is spinning at higher rpm and when you switch off the car you get this turbine like whining from the fan. 👍

Why does it need to discharge the Battery and how does revving the engine achieve it Tony?   The computer controlled inverter just stops charging the Battery when it’s full doesn’t it?   I can literally feel the engine holding the car back in a similar way to using the B mode when going down a steep hill which are all around me here in the Peak District.

• Like 1

This might be a tad controversial and picky, but I ignore posts where "of" has replaced "have"

Sorry, totally irrelevant, but it gets right up my nose. Yes, as posted elsewhere I am grumpy!

30 minutes ago, olonas said:

This might be a tad controversial and picky, but I ignore posts where "of" has replaced "have"

Sorry, totally irrelevant, but it gets right up my nose. Yes, as posted elsewhere I am grumpy!

This is because grammar isn't taught in schools any more, we don't run through the conjugation of verbs.  

"Could of" is just a corruption of "could've" but because schools don't teach kids "I have, I should have, I could have" it is never corrected.   

It does surprise me though that people do say "I have" and then "I could of" and don't link the two.

42 minutes ago, olonas said:

If I do it, it’s because I’m kack handed when typing but I agree with the use of of, off and have or there, their and they’re or even lose and loose.  I missed a lot of school due to poor upbringing but my English isn’t bad.  There’s lots of examples.  However, I detect that a lot of members are not of UK origin and their English is embarrassingly better than our lazy attitude to other languages so I’m very wary of that.  

• Like 3

For those who don’t mind reading poor English, the engine will be driven by the mg1 without burning fuel.
Similarly to when you are driving downhill and release the accelerator (engine braking in non hybrid cars) the engine compression add resistance. 
( pumping losses) converted into heat. 
In Toyota hybrids the mg1 uses Battery power to spin the engine crankshaft without using any fuel like when you are going downhill.  
I am talking about engine reviving high not only downhill but also after you have finish decent or even stopped at a junction for example.
Btw when you are driving downhill in Toyota hybrids and  you release the accelerator the car shuts off the engine and only uses regenerative braking mg2 to slow down the car and not the engine, unless you have selected B mode. The engine will only start when your hv Battery gets full. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

For those who don’t mind reading poor English, the engine will be driven by the mg1 without burning fuel.
Similarly to when you are driving downhill and release the accelerator (engine braking in non hybrid cars) the engine compression add resistance. 
( pumping losses) converted into heat. 
In Toyota hybrids the mg1 uses battery power to spin the engine crankshaft without using any fuel like when you are going downhill.  
I am talking about engine reviving high not only downhill but also after you have finish decent or even stopped at a junction for example.
Btw when you are driving downhill in Toyota hybrids and  you release the accelerator the car shuts off the engine and only uses regenerative braking mg2 to slow down the car and not the engine, unless you have selected B mode. The engine will only start when your hv battery gets full. 

I’m very impressed by your writing and Garth or any other none UK person for that matter.  It’s one thing speaking it but writing it as well is excellent in my opinion.  

I don’t know if things have changed from your Auris to my Yaris Cross but I can assure you that when I go down the big hill to work, even in D mode, the engine runs and provides engine braking.  

7 hours ago, olonas said:

I no what you mean olonas, but you could of put it a bit more gentler.

The standard of English among the native population is appauling.

But if you ignore posts with errors, you may miss out on good advice or information.

I have learned to filter out the spoken word manglings of some of my friends, and translate it as I go along.

The most important thing is the willingness to help others with experience and knowledge.

By letting small mistakes and typos etc go, there really is nothing to loose,😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, anchorman said:

Why does it need to discharge the battery and how does revving the engine achieve it Tony?   The computer controlled inverter just stops charging the battery when it’s full doesn’t it?

I assumed it was because the motors are still spinning and generating electricity but the Battery can'nae take any more. The car needs to find a way to discharge the excess. To be clear, it takes a sustained downhill section to reach this state.

22 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

I assumed it was because the motors are still spinning and generating electricity but the battery can'nae take any more. The car needs to find a way to discharge the excess. To be clear, it takes a sustained downhill section to reach this state.

The answer is attached and I’ve witnessed this.  One of the hills I come down is steep and a good mile long.  As I get towards the bottom I can hear the engine revving and it appears the system brings in normal overrun.  Not to discharge the Battery but simply not charge it further.  It works very well and really holds the car back.  

IMG_4971.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I no what you mean olonas, but you could of put it a bit more gentler.

The standard of English among the native population is appauling.

But if you ignore posts with errors, you may miss out on good advice or information.

I have learned to filter out the spoken word manglings of some of my friends, and translate it as I go along.

The most important thing is the willingness to help others with experience and knowledge.

By letting small mistakes and typos etc go, there really is nothing to loose,😉

Wel said.  Evrybidy is entittlled to a typu errur now and agin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That is only when braking though. If you attempt to "free wheel" for a long downhill run it does something similar but doesn't apply engine braking. The result is similar to revving the engine high with the clutch pressed.

42 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Wel said.  Evrybidy is entittlled to a typu errur now and agin.

Are you the Frinch poloceman  on "Allo Allo" who mingles his wards in an amozing minner?

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, IT Troll said:

That is only when braking though. If you attempt to "free wheel" for a long downhill run it does something similar but doesn't apply engine braking. The result is similar to revving the engine high with the clutch pressed.

You might be right but I’ll pay more attention next week on my journey to the centre of the earth.  Arnie.  

662A7399-C905-4B93-94AA-E4F60B8F2EB1.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, olonas said:

Most defiantly.:thumbsup:

Defiantly or definitely?

Oh the irony!!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Are you the Frinch poloceman  on "Allo Allo" who mingles his wards in an amozing minner?

Good Moaning

Listen very carefully, I shall say zis only once - I am not officer Crabtree.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

You might be right but I’ll pay more attention next week on my journey to the centre of the earth.  Arnie.  

662A7399-C905-4B93-94AA-E4F60B8F2EB1.jpeg

That looks nice. 👍 

If I give it a run with my ancient hybrid the engine will go crazy very quickly and I will most likely see 4000 rpm soon after a half mile descend. 
The biggest difference between my car and yours it’s the age and mileage.  Although slightly different mechanically the principle how gen3 and gen4 hybrids work it’s very similar but a weak Battery will charge and discharge way quicker than a traction Battery with good health (new chemistry inside). 
When engine switches between regenerative braking and discharge cycles works differently, the noise and rpm’s are different too.
If you stay in your car long enough in ready mode the car will go through these charge and discharge cycles infinite times. 

• Like 2

I wonder what pure electric cars do in this scenario. When the HV Battery is completely charged and the motors are still generating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

I wonder what pure electric cars do in this scenario. When the HV battery is completely charged and the motors are still generating.

They stop charging and the brakes take over.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That looks nice. 👍 

If I give it a run with my ancient hybrid the engine will go crazy very quickly and I will most likely see 4000 rpm soon after a half mile descend. 
The biggest difference between my car and yours it’s the age and mileage.  Although slightly different mechanically the principle how gen3 and gen4 hybrids work it’s very similar but a weak battery will charge and discharge way quicker than a traction battery with good health (new chemistry inside). 
When engine switches between regenerative braking and discharge cycles works differently, the noise and rpm’s are different too.
If you stay in your car long enough in ready mode the car will go through these charge and discharge cycles infinite times. 

Mine doesn’t go to discharge mode (doesn’t have one), it just stops charging and goes to engine overrun braking.

• Like 1

And when they stop charging where the energy goes ?

Even without resistance from the motor-generator (regen braking) there is still energy flow as a result of rotor turned, it’s a permanent magnet set up. 
For example If you drive 40mph downhill and select N then apply brakes you can still hear regen whining but less pronounced., quieter but still there. 
This is how actually ev’s are catching fire, been towed with wheels on the ground, the system gets overcharged, then overheated and 💥

• Like 1

Book your service through my toyota app... Price is fixed through toyota and then you book which dealer you want to use. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links