Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have I got faulty battery?

crookd

So, if you push the Start button *without* pressing the brake, that's ACC/accessory mode (Like position 1 on a key ignition)

If you press it again the car is fully powered on, but not 'started' (Like key ignition position 2, or stalled, in a regular car)

And as you know, holding the brake and pressing the Start button is like key position 3 (i.e. Ignition)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

So, if you push the Start button *without* pressing the brake, that's ACC/accessory mode (Like position 1 on a key ignition)

If you press it again the car is fully powered on, but not 'started' (Like key ignition position 2, or stalled, in a regular car)

And as you know, holding the brake and pressing the Start button is like key position 3 (i.e. Ignition)

Correct 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

It’s OK, I have always turned off the engine when refuelling. That’s what I was taught to do.

I’m assuming that if you have a push button start/stop that you can’t get acc mode.

If you push the start button once without touching the brake, you get accessory mode, if you touch it twice without pressing the brake you get ignition mode and that’s the one that will cause all the problems.  That will flatten your Battery but NOT without it warning you first with a clear message on the dash.  If you touch the start button in any mode once from off or from the accessory mode, it will go to the ready mode.   You’d have to be doing something extraordinary to flatten the Battery by doing that by having everything switched on from an already depleted Battery because the system will start the engine instantly which is why this whole debacle doesn’t make sense.  Of course, the drama sets in and Toyota should be offering free cars and holidays to compensate for this dreadful injustice.

17 minutes ago, anchorman said:

If you push the start button once without touching the brake, you get accessory mode, if you touch it twice without pressing the brake you get ignition mode and that’s the one that will cause all the problems.  That will flatten your battery but NOT without it warning you first with a clear message on the dash.  If you touch the start button in any mode once from off or from the accessory mode, it will go to the ready mode.   You’d have to be doing something extraordinary to flatten the battery by doing that by having everything switched on from an already depleted battery because the system will start the engine instantly which is why this whole debacle doesn’t make sense.  Of course, the drama sets in and Toyota should be offering free cars and holidays to compensate for this dreadful injustice.

OK maestro, which is it? 

19 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

OK maestro, which is it? 

Which is what Roy?

19 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Which is what Roy?

Read the embolden bits - ACC or Ready - you say both!

53 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Read the embolden bits - ACC or Ready - you say both!

I did do but I didn’t open the full message.  You’ll be as grumpy as me with a bit more practice.  The second part should say with you foot on the brake but the woke filters stop me editing it now.  I’m on one knee and still it won’t.  

• Haha 4

I read it as was inferred, the brake was depressed in the second embolden statement

if you're out of the car, handbrake on, in park and switched off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

if you're out of the car, handbrake on, in park and switched off

While patting the top of your head with one hand and rubbing your tummy with the other?

• Like 1

That's quite impressive if you can do that while refuelling the car! :laugh: 

11 hours ago, anchorman said:

If you push the start button once without touching the brake, you get accessory mode, if you touch it twice without pressing the brake you get ignition mode and that’s the one that will cause all the problems.  That will flatten your battery but NOT without it warning you first with a clear message on the dash.  If you touch the start button in any mode once from off or from the accessory mode, it will go to the ready mode.   You’d have to be doing something extraordinary to flatten the battery by doing that by having everything switched on from an already depleted battery because the system will start the engine instantly which is why this whole debacle doesn’t make sense.  Of course, the drama sets in and Toyota should be offering free cars and holidays to compensate for this dreadful injustice.

Interesting, I wasn’t told any of this when I picked up my car. Just how to start the engine.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Interesting, I wasn’t told any of this when I picked up my car. Just how to start the engine.

That’s often the case and how owners get into difficulties.  

• Like 3

Well at least you got told that much; If I didn't already know how to use a Toyota push button system I might still be stuck in the dealer's car park :laugh: 

You start to learn new things as you play with the car tho', even if you aren't as sad as me to read through the PDF manual on my e-reader while on the bog :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a Corolla.  I was loaned a basic Yaris with ignition key. I got on, switched on, engaged reverse, and set off. 

Two miles down the road I stopped to drop off something.  Got back to the car. Turned the ignition key, zilch. 

I rang the garage.  They said just put it in gear and press loud pedal. I had forgotten it was a hybrid as it had a key.  The garage had simply assumed I would know. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well at least you got told that much; If I didn't already know how to use a Toyota push button system I might still be stuck in the dealer's car park :laugh: 

You start to learn new things as you play with the car tho', even if you aren't as sad as me to read through the PDF manual on my e-reader while on the bog :laugh: 

It is well documented that reading comprehension is enhanced by bathroom surroundings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

It is well documented that reading comprehension is enhanced by bathroom surroundings.

Are you s itting me? 

• Haha 2

Best just to try out all 2 modes with regards to the start button without pushing the brake then the engine ready  mode using the brake.

TBH that's almost no reason to use the other modes on the hybrids; With other cars you don't want the engine to run if you're just waiting, so using position 1 to listen to the radio is common, but with the hybrids the engine will tend to stay off if you're not moving anyway so it's best to just go straight to Ready mode, if only to minimize load on the 12v Battery.

I'm not sure if there is even a scenario where it'd be preferable to use acc/on mode on the hybrids; They're kindof vestigial modes like the creep that are just there because they're there.

EVs increasingly don't even bother with the other modes anymore to my knowledge as they're redundant.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

TBH that's almost no reason to use the other modes on the hybrids; With other cars you don't want the engine to run if you're just waiting, so using position 1 to listen to the radio is common, but with the hybrids the engine will tend to stay off if you're not moving anyway so it's best to just go straight to Ready mode, if only to minimize load on the 12v battery.

I'm not sure if there is even a scenario where it'd be preferable to use acc/on mode on the hybrids; They're kindof vestigial modes like the creep that are just there because they're there.

EVs increasingly don't even bother with the other modes anymore to my knowledge as they're redundant.

If you’re only listening to the radio, I think you could do that for quite a while.  Depends on your situational awareness, if you know the Battery is quite full and you’re staying with the car you can get away with it.  If you were for instance listening to the radio while waxing the car (I know that wouldn’t apply to you Cyker 😉) then you could lose track.  The risk is for anyone sitting in with the ignition on and not paying attention.  Miss that low Battery warning and you could be in trouble.  I personally think an £80 - £100 boost pack isn’t a bad investment.  The owners of plug in hybrids or EVs don’t shirk at the cost of a charge point then if something does go wrong, you can deal with it anywhere.  No, it isn’t Toyota’s responsibility to supply one, it’s the owners responsibility to be aware of what you’re doing and follow the instructions in the book.  That’s the thing in the glove box with words in.  

• Haha 1

IIRC, radio on in ACC it will shut down after a few minutes anyway. The problem arises when you reset the ACC and it renters the radio on phase and again starts to deplete the 12v Battery

Best mode, music while you work, is Ready mode, aircon system off and DRL only on.  The HV will keep the 12v Battery charged. The ICE will chime in, if necessary, to recharge the HV. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

TBH that's almost no reason to use the other modes on the hybrids; With other cars you don't want the engine to run if you're just waiting, so using position 1 to listen to the radio is common, but with the hybrids the engine will tend to stay off if you're not moving anyway so it's best to just go straight to Ready mode, if only to minimize load on the 12v battery.

There are scenarios indeed. 
All the modes and other similarities that the hybrids can do without are there for a reason and it is mostly for valet and maintenance purposes. 
ACC mode let say there is a windows down and you spot it after you have walk away few steps, come back acc on and close your windows. 
ON mode ( ignition on in older times ) this also can be used after replacement or removing parts for cleaning and inspection, throttle body, egr, maf/map sensors vvti solenoids etc. 
In some of these scenarios for example you may need to go few times into ON mode and turn off then start the car and set in ready mode. Also setting up the car into maintenance mode for oil change or loading it onto a recovery truck, acc and select N to free the car and make it move. Other than that,  o need to use any of the above , just start the car ready mode and then P, D or R. 👍

• Like 1

In Ready, if the aircon is off, and you're not driving, the big Battery will stay charged for a long time and not need to run7 the engine.  If I'm waiting I tend to keep it in Ready so I can listen to the radio, or do the windows, but turn off the aircon unit.

I never use Accessory mode and I've taught the missus not to as she was a beggar for sitting with Ignition on and draining the battery 🤣

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

In Ready, if the aircon is off, and you're not driving, the big battery will stay charged for a long time and not need to run7 the engine. 

That assumes the HV was adequately charged. If you use EV for the final distance to a stop the HV may need a quick boost. 

• Like 3

And also will depend on 12v Battery consumption, If it’s low and needs more energy , or if you have a phone or tablet plugged in for charging these may drain the hv Battery sooner and engine to kick in. 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links