Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have I got faulty battery?

crookd

14 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Its a shame there isn't a secret menu like on the Corsa D (video below) maybe there is but no one has found it yet.

I think this is the way i will deal with 12v battery anxiety 😄

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCELI-Bluetooth-Wireless-Diagnostic-Analyzer-Black/dp/B09YTWJ6BL/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=battery+monitor&qid=1682699073&sr=8-26

In the service menu ( at least for cars equipped with Touch 3 ) you can read the Battery voltage in real time.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:57 AM, anchorman said:

What should have happened is that the dealer should have talked to you for a while about your usage of the car especially if your trade in had low mileage.  They could quickly work out if you were likely to have battery problems. 

The dealer gave me absolutely no guidance on the idiosyncrasies of the new car even though the trade-in had ony covered 60,000kms (37,500m) in 13 years.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:07 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Also see -

My daughter and her husband have a Prius that is parked in an underground car park, without any electrical power points. They live abroad for 2-3 months and have had the same experience of returning to find a flat Battery and having to call the breakdown service. They bought a booster unit and that has solved the problem.

It seems, though, that there is room for development in this area. The 12-volt Battery is clearly a weak point in the hybrid design.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Well you can fit a voltage monitor into the 12 volt accessory socket when its reading 12.7 or 12.8 volts you know the battery is fully charged. ( This indicates you are in a non charging state. )

I thought someone said you cannot get an accurate reading from the 12v socket (cannot remember why) 

19 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Max, Kia too. 

I found this i does anyone know if you can get into a similar menu in the modern cars?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopGeek said:

No there isn’t Brian.   They can fit a ginormous Battery but for most people it’s an unnecessary expense.  We get it a lot on here but again it’s because they’ve had a problem and searched the forum so it looks disproportionate.   I totally understand your feelings about the matter and you’ll have kindred spirits on here but the bottom line, is, for most, it isn’t a problem.  The weak point isn’t the Battery, it’s the dealer. I’m not saying the dealer should put you off buying one but make you aware of the risks of infrequent use and how to accommodate it.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I thought someone said you cannot get an accurate reading from the 12v socket (cannot remember why) 

Its accurate for what you want to know is the 12 volt Battery charged.

Yes its charged up when the dc to dc converter stops charging it.

14 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Its accurate for what you want to know is the 12 volt battery charged.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Its accurate for what you want to know is the 12 volt battery charged.

Can these be left in the socket permanently,  does power to the 12v socket  turn off when you leave the car?

1 hour ago, Dala said:

Yes

Looks like a cheap and easy cure for 12v anxiety. 😉  

It turns off (accessory socket) when you leave the car thats on Toyota some other brands may/are diffrent ie permement live socket.

If you want more usb or a micro usb sockets now a good time to buy a plug with extra sockets & a voltage display.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links