Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery drain auris reg 2017

beebea

On 7/30/2023 at 12:56 PM, beebea said:

We just live next to an underground station and like many who live in or near a big  city, or its suburb, use the car mostly at weekends and for short trips, and occasionally for out of town excursions. I would like to know what kind of car one should own for this kind of usage. 

This is the problem. Regularly not used for 5 days at a time, when it does get used, for short trips. I don't think there is an abnormal drain on the Battery

A member has installed a bigger capacity Battery to their Yaris cross, 45ah, consider this option. Also as others have said, ready mode ON for 30-60 mins a week. Doing this to an already bad Battery can only prolonged it for so long. 

ps: sometimes national trust have free vouchers to visit their places - search the web. Take advantage of this to visit beautiful places and charged the battery at the same time. I'm doing a 90 miles round trip of this today. 

3 hours ago, Dala said:

IMG_20230710_180555.jpg

Is that on a faulty car? It looks high 

25 minutes ago, Saxmaniac said:

Is that on a faulty car? It looks high 

So I came across this thread , although similar subject is covered in other sections.

This a serious fault , that is only now just coming to peoples attention.

It probably first came to light during the lockdowns when cars went went unused for long periods, which had not happened much in the past.

Toyota posted online videos showing that the car needed to be turned on once or twice a week to keep the 12volt Battery topped up but this is not sufficient.

So we have no had our Auris Hybrid Tourer for  4  years and the Flat 12 volt Battery is now a regular feature anytime we go on holiday. It's not just Hybrids but is also happening on EVs too.

It go so bad that I got on  to Toyota Customer services to complain as I was sick to the teeth of it.

The problem is that unlike a petrol car, where the Alternator is at full whack once the engine is running and the Battery is getting a good charge with in a few minutes of driving the battery could be almost fully charged. The hybrid system does not work in the same way, So this means you could go for 100 mile drive, yet the 12 volt battery in the boot won't get charged on the same way as an ICE powered car.

Toyota wouldn't engage with me until I took the car to the Main dealer for an inspection, which I did and NO FAULT was Found. Toyota Gave a battery Charger FREE OF CHARGE.

But the only way to beat this it before going on holiday put a 12 volt charger on the battery in the boot for 24 hours before your holiday. We have done this and come back to a car that starts straight away, the Only Other option is to Buy a battery pack booster and keep it in the glove box. You can then use this on the RED Tab in the Fuse box to get the car going, 

• Like 2

@citycash what is the exact Battery do you have? I have 2015 made Yuasa original AGM Battery on Auris TS. It never have any glitch and more than 8 years old now. 

It depends on many factors. Where do you park, any aftermarket wiring, rarely driven ( less than 3 days a week for 20 min each). It is nothing to do with the alternator, the DC toDC charge at full 10-15 Amps when the Battery is not full but the battery size is comparably small indeed 35Ah instead of  typical 52 Ah on Compact class car. It also does not work well with non original Yuasa AGM battery. Many Prius 2 and 3 owners know this behavior on non Yuasa battery. Many people have bad experience with Optima yellowtop AGM.

My regular cars always need new battery every 5-6 years. Even with 70Ah battery. But at that time I did not have garage 

• Like 1

I've never seen 12v Battery as a problem, during lockdown I left the (hybrid) car 3 weeks at a time and only stuck a charger on as a precaution, it may have lasted much longer. I've also got a normal old school diesel second car and would also stick a charger on if it sat anything like a month, so it's something to be aware of but not a serious problem inho. Op needs to determine whether they have a faulty Battery, charging system or parasitic draw. It's no use just guessing at stuff, do some diagnosis and find out for certain 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, citycash said:

So I came across this thread , although similar subject is covered in other sections.

This has been widely known since the pandemic and applied to all car makes. 

Some cars had the DMC module drain, other than that I don't see there is a problem with Toyota not finding fault in your Battery. Suggestions are in various posts on the forum in the 12v Battery maintenance thread. 

I know this was all (meant to be?) fixed back in 2014, but there are 400+ comments, some as recently as 4 months ago.  

It might be worth replacing the hazard light switch - just to rule it out:  https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-auris-owners-12-volt-flat-batteries/

• Thanks 1

It probably first came to light during the lockdowns when cars went went unused for long periods, which had not happened much in the past.

Toyota posted online videos showing that the car needed to be turned on once or twice a week to keep the 12volt Battery topped up but this is not sufficient.

So we have no had our Auris Hybrid Tourer for  4  years and the Flat 12 volt Battery is now a regular feature anytime we go on holiday. It's not just Hybrids but is also happening on EVs too.

It go so bad that I got on  to Toyota Customer services to complain as I was sick to the teeth of it.

The problem is that unlike a petrol car, where the Alternator is at full whack once the engine is running and the Battery is getting a good charge with in a few minutes of driving the battery could be almost fully charged. The hybrid system does not work in the same way, So this means you could go for 100 mile drive, yet the 12 volt battery in the boot won't get charged on the same way as an ICE powered car.

Toyota wouldn't engage with me until I took the car to the Main dealer for an inspection, which I did and NO FAULT was Found. Toyota Gave a battery Charger FREE OF CHARGE.

But the only way to beat this it before going on holiday put a 12 volt charger on the battery in the boot for 24 hours before your holiday. We have done this and come back to a car that starts straight away, the Only Other option is to Buy a battery pack booster and keep it in the glove box. You can then use this on the RED Tab in the Fuse box to get the car going, 

Toyota aren't interested, as I said, went right to the top of customer service department and  as Stated I was provide with a Battery Charger Free of Charger by Toyota.

Aldo for what it's worth , The problem  still exist with the new Corolla. I have a friend with a 21 model Tourer, he went away for two weeks, On return Flat Battery, the later Corolla had a Higher Capacity Battery than my 2019 Auris but this doesn't make any difference. 

The exact same situation is happening to owners of fully electric cars,

We have hybrid Auris and electric ioniq both no issues with batteries. Cars used daily, sometimes left alone for weeks. The ev can recharge its 12 v Battery itself, the hybrid doesn’t need as when used its  for long trips and the Battery gets well charged. The system works exacting as alternator in standard car, which also supply different voltage to maintenance healthy Battery charge and prevent overcharging or discharging. If your cars has problems very likely they have accessories that drains your battery, or another drain issue, or perhaps a bad battery or something that it’s not so obvious and the garages doesn’t want to spend time investigating it. Generally speaking there not all hybrids and evs has battery problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

We have hybrid Auris and electric ioniq both no issues with batteries. Cars used daily, sometimes left alone for weeks. The ev can recharge its 12 v battery itself, the hybrid doesn’t need as when used its  for long trips and the battery gets well charged. The system works exacting as alternator in standard car, which also supply different voltage to maintenance healthy battery charge and prevent overcharging or discharging. If your cars has problems very likely they have accessories that drains your battery, or another drain issue, or perhaps a bad battery or something that it’s not so obvious and the garages doesn’t want to spend time investigating it. Generally speaking there not all hybrids and evs has battery problems. 

Well I can only reiterate what I was told by a Toyota Hybrid Technician told me when i took the car in fro inspection.

"unlike a petrol car, where the Alternator is at full whack once the engine is running and the Battery is getting a good charge with in a few minutes of driving the Battery could be almost fully charged. The hybrid system does not work in the same way, So this means you could go for 100 mile drive, yet the 12 volt Battery in the boot won't get charged on the same way as an ICE powered car."

I'd be surprised if similar Lexus cars were afflicted with this problem or fobbed off their customers as Toyota does.

• Like 1

Toyota UK are NO Longer the Caring company that they once were, That said probably still better than many other manufacturers.

They have know for years that catalytic converters were being stolen on a Huge scale but were still happy to hang a grands worth of kit under the where it could be removed in seconds, Only for Toyota to then offer you a Tilt Alarm or Covering Plate at great expense.

This is the Tip of the Iceberg as far as flat batteries are concerned, Once there are loads of Full EVs on the roads, then we will find out all of the problems that have been kept secret

5 hours ago, citycash said:

Well I can only reiterate what I was told by a Toyota Hybrid Technician told me when i took the car in fro inspection.

"unlike a petrol car, where the Alternator is at full whack once the engine is running and the battery is getting a good charge with in a few minutes of driving the battery could be almost fully charged. The hybrid system does not work in the same way, So this means you could go for 100 mile drive, yet the 12 volt battery in the boot won't get charged on the same way as an ICE powered car."

That’s also not true. Standard petrol cars alternators has voltage regulator and so are the DC to DC converters in Toyota hybrids. I have monitored my Auris hybrid 12v system. Once the car starts in ready mode the system feeds 14.7v almost constantly to the 12v Battery. 30-40 min ON are enough to recharge a 12.3v Battery back to 12.9-13v. This is how should work 12v system in any hybrid. If it is any different means the cars in question has faulty 12v system components or software bug which Toyota has to address. Sorry for all of you guys that really have problems with these cars which supposed to be one of the most reliable cars available to date, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, BigRedSwitch said:

I'd be surprised if similar Lexus cars were afflicted with this problem or fobbed off their customers as Toyota does.

you may have a point,Lexus built in Japan?.

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s also not true. Standard petrol cars alternators has voltage regulator and so are the DC to DC converters in Toyota hybrids. I have monitored my Auris hybrid 12v system. Once the car starts in ready mode the system feeds 14.7v almost constantly to the 12v battery. 30-40 min ON are enough to recharge a 12.3v battery back to 12.9-13v. This is how should work 12v system in any hybrid. If it is any different means the cars in question has faulty 12v system components or software bug which Toyota has to address. Sorry for all of you guys that really have problems with these cars which supposed to be one of the most reliable cars available to date, 

clue there Tony 30-40 MINS=miles some of us do that in a week,many stop and starts. i.m.o the batteries are too small and drive Battery does the work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s also not true. Standard petrol cars alternators has voltage regulator and so are the DC to DC converters in Toyota hybrids. I have monitored my Auris hybrid 12v system. Once the car starts in ready mode the system feeds 14.7v almost constantly to the 12v battery. 30-40 min ON are enough to recharge a 12.3v battery back to 12.9-13v. This is how should work 12v system in any hybrid. If it is any different means the cars in question has faulty 12v system components or software bug which Toyota has to address. Sorry for all of you guys that really have problems with these cars which supposed to be one of the most reliable cars available to date, 

So maybe you should go and Argue the point the the Senior Hybrid Technician at the Toyota Main dealer, where the vehicle was tested and found to have NO FAULTS.

Had there been Faults found these would have been rectified under warranty, However TOYOTA HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICES Gave Me a FREE Battery charger.

They also said that they have customers that bring their cars in REGULARLY for a BOOST charge

So please lets hear your theory on this, I will happily forward it to Toyota so that they can act upon your advice

1 hour ago, citycash said:

So maybe you should go and Argue the point the the Senior Hybrid Technician at the Toyota Main dealer, where the vehicle was tested and found to have NO FAULTS.

Had there been Faults found these would have been rectified under warranty, However TOYOTA HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICES Gave Me a FREE Battery charger.

They also said that they have customers that bring their cars in REGULARLY for a BOOST charge

So please lets hear your theory on this, I will happily forward it to Toyota so that they can act upon your advice

I don’t need to go and argue with anyone. What this dealer or Toyota says is nonsense. No car needs to have booster charge if used at least once a week or every two weeks for 30 min or more. And more you drive or keep the car longer ON more power you add to the Battery. If your car 12v system reduce the voltage supply means your Battery has reached its healthy levels and no more charging is needed and the dc converter becomes a trickle charger. 
People gets problems because they keep their cars in acc or on mode but not in ready mode as they should. Or because they use them occasionally and on very short drives less than half an hour each which is not enough to recharge the Battery, repeat that on regular basis and here we have it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I don’t need to go and argue with anyone. What this dealer or Toyota says is nonsense. No car needs to have booster charge if used at least once a week or every two weeks for 30 min or more. And more you drive or keep the car longer ON more power you add to the battery. If your car 12v system reduce the voltage supply means your battery has reached its healthy levels and no more charging is needed and the dc converter becomes a trickle charger. 
People gets problems because they keep their cars in acc or on mode but not in ready mode as they should. Or because they use them occasionally and on very short drives less than half an hour each which is not enough to recharge the battery, repeat that on regular basis and here we have it. 

But the discussion was based on LEAVING THE CAR For LONGER THAN A Week., Like when you go on Holiday or Leave it at the Airport for TWO weeks.

We Drove From the Midlands to Gatwick, nearly 4 Hours 150 miles.

Parked up, TWO WEEKS Later Came back to a Flat Battery.

If you read my Post I explained this already. Hence my dispute with Toyota GB Head Office, and them providing me with FREE BRAND NEW Battery Charger.

If you don't the problem then lucky you

1 minute ago, citycash said:

But the discussion was based on LKEAVING THE CAR For LONGER THAN A Week., Like when you go on Holiday or Leve it at the Airport for TWO weeks.

We Drove From the Midland to Gatwick, nearly 4 Hours 150 miles.

Parked up, TWO WEEKS Later Came back to a Flat Battery.

If you read my Post I explained this already. Hence my dispute with Toyota GB Head Office, and them providing me with FREE BRAND NEW BATTERY Charger.

If you don't the problem then lucky you

This happened to you because  the Battery most likely been already dead and not able to maintain its charge when you have been away.
This also happens when we have a completely dead Battery, then been recharged back to full but shortly after the Battery dies again.
The only option in this case is new battery and then a charger either Solar or mains powered can maintain healthy battery.  
Once the battery is left to flatten down and the car becomes unable to start  that’s it, a new battery will be needed. I drive a lot and my battery is in good shape. Previously the car was not used a lot but just enough to maintain healthy charge. Car been regularly left without use for up to 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

God you really are an ****, the car is nearly NEW The Battery has been tested and is Good, The car IS Used regularly , It has Also Happened to someone I know with a Brand New Corolla this year

You are Talking Like a Complete Bell End,

You haven't READ WHAT HAS BEEN POSTED BUT YOU KNOW MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE, Even factory trained technician and  Myself that had worked on almost every kind Electronic Business Equipment for the past 40 years, Including Petrol Pumps and forecourt systems, cash Registers & EPOS , Fruit Machines Juke Boxes and More But We don't know jack **** about electrics BUT YOU DO

On 8/9/2023 at 7:19 PM, TonyHSD said:

reiterate what I was told by a Toyota Technician told me...

Do we believe what Toyota employees say?  Last year I'd taken my Auris in for a full service and the 'Service Agent' (?) told me my car was ready but said (in a serious tone of voice) my rear tyres were "down to only 5mm" and would I like them replaced? I asked him why he was trying to rip people off as the legal limit was 1.6mm and being extra cautious many people replace tyres a 3mm. He stood up and walked away. His assistant gave me the key and the paperwork a few minutes later. 

• Like 2

Absolutely. 👍

About the 12v batteries and Toyota hybrids 12v system.
If anyone believe or been told that those works  differently from all other cars you been lied about it. 
The problems people get here are because their batteries are been flattened already either before purchase or shortly after delivery. The reason can vary. 
If you buy or get a new Battery under warranty, fitted in your “ problematic car” and drive or keep in ready mode at least 30 min once a week and you won’t have any problems with your car or Battery. And if you drive more or if you charge via any external charger for those of you who does not drive often you also won’t have issues leaving your car at the airport for up to 4 weeks. But if your Battery is already dead or been flattened even once then it is possible to die on you even while you are driving the car or after a long drive. This is only because of your 12v battery is dead , not because of your car system., dc converter been different from alternator, no.
A normal occurrence on all cars, no matter if petrol, diesel, hybrid or electric, even a hydrogen Mirai., all works the same way. 
And if your Toyota master technicians or chief executive engineers failed to explain that to you for some reason I did although you don’t have to agree or accept it. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links