Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery drain auris reg 2017

beebea

On 7/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, beebea said:

Has anybody had and resolved battery drainage issues with their Auris? I'm at my wit's end and have had enough of having to drive aimlessly only to keep it charged (and regularly find it flat after a brief holiday).

After a full check and recharge at a garage 2 weeks ago, we drove it for about 100 miles in total (2 longer trips and 2 shorter) and still the battery was flat this morning. 

Battery was replaced 2 years ago  to try and resolve the problem but we are probably back to square one due to the number of times it's gone flat since then.  

Toyota dealer is useless and will not suggest anything else apart from driving it more often. 

Any suggestions other than getting rid of it and buying a car of a different make or brand...?

My advice given the low miles and journey's you do would be to get a ICE engine car, changed my Hybrid Yaris for a 1.5 ICE engine one and zero 12v Battery worries now with also doing only around 5000 miles a year or so myself.

59 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

My advice given the low miles and journey's you do would be to get a ICE engine car, changed my Hybrid Yaris for a 1.5 ICE engine one and zero 12v battery worries now with also doing only around 5000 miles a year or so myself.

You're probably right there , We've all been conned by this Electric/Hybrid bull****.

Yes! maybe a a Taxi or Delivery driver in an inner city using the vehicle all day day every day will benefit but for the rest of us that No Longer drive 30,000 miles a year, you might as well stay will your ICE motor. My old Avensis  D4D 2.0 did 60mpg and would sit at 100 all day long @ a couple of thousand rpm. No Cam belt , So very cheap service cost.

Buy Hey, How about all of the numpties that have been stitched up with Useless Electric cars that are worthless as soon as they drive of the forecourt, and don't become environmentally friendly unless they cover about 90,000 miles, Which most of them for people living in ULEZ Zone will never eve do. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, citycash said:

You're probably right there , We've all been conned by this Electric/Hybrid bull****.

Yes! maybe a a Taxi or Delivery driver in an inner city using the vehicle all day day every day will benefit but for the rest of us that No Longer drive 30,000 miles a year, you might as well stay will your ICE motor. My old Avensis  D4D 2.0 did 60mpg and would sit at 100 all day long @ a couple of thousand rpm. No Cam belt , So very cheap service cost.

Buy Hey, How about all of the numpties that have been stitched up with Useless Electric cars that are worthless as soon as they drive of the forecourt, and don't become environmentally friendly unless they cover about 90,000 miles, Which most of them for people living in ULEZ Zone will never eve do. 

Agree about the amount of miles covered in a year the MPG i was getting was 69mpg in the summer but down to 59mpg in the winter in my MK4 Yaris hoping to get around 52-55mpg in my 1.5 Yaris so averaged out with the higher cost to buy the Hybrid plus £50 a year Hybrid Battery heath check it would only make since if your covering a lot of miles over a number of years an guessing a 3-5 year owner ship of a Hybrid could probably work out no better off then owning a ICE car unless your putting the miles in a lot.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:55 AM, TonyHSD said:

Absolutely. 👍

About the 12v batteries and Toyota hybrids 12v system.
If anyone believe or been told that those works  differently from all other cars you been lied about it. 
The problems people get here are because their batteries are been flattened already either before purchase or shortly after delivery. The reason can vary. 
If you buy or get a new battery under warranty, fitted in your “ problematic car” and drive or keep in ready mode at least 30 min once a week and you won’t have any problems with your car or battery. And if you drive more or if you charge via any external charger for those of you who does not drive often you also won’t have issues leaving your car at the airport for up to 4 weeks. But if your battery is already dead or been flattened even once then it is possible to die on you even while you are driving the car or after a long drive. This is only because of your 12v battery is dead , not because of your car system., dc converter been different from alternator, no.
A normal occurrence on all cars, no matter if petrol, diesel, hybrid or electric, even a hydrogen Mirai., all works the same way. 
And if your Toyota master technicians or chief executive engineers failed to explain that to you for some reason I did although you don’t have to agree or accept it. 

Thanks Tony. The thing for us is that we have already gone through a replaced Battery, solar panel, weekly unnecessary drives and we have gone back to having to replace the Battery after 3 years.  We're now doing all we can for the new Battery, taking notes of trips made, making an effort to avoid short trips, keeping on ready mode and keeping a newly purchased solar trickle charger connected (the FREE one offered by Toyota never materialised!). A 12 day holiday is now approaching... (arghhh) so I will let you know how it goes. If the battery is flat in our return we will sell the car and wave goodbye to Toyota...

• Like 2

There are very few people who moved away from hybrids back to petrol manual and all has their genuine reasons which I agree with and respect.
For others going’ back to manual might be impossible because of health issues, disability illness etc. two pedal drive is a must have and the hybrids has the best automatic transmission., most efficient and most reliable. 

The problem with batteries is real but it does not affect everyone, or only the hybrids and evs.
You don’t need to do 100 high miles a day to warrant your next start up. 
There are ways to change settings and with little care any modern hybrid or bev can remain relatively reliable and fulfil its promise to ferry people around in its necessary auto drive.

In my personal experience from all the cars we have in the family the Battery problems we only had are on petrol manual car that is old school with minimal electronics inside but also it has been used very infrequently and on very short trips. Once the Battery died on us after a long drive of 400 miles , we visited friends who lives in different town and after few hours the car refused to start. 

The modern cars has another issue because they are fully packed with unnecessary electronics, connected services that constantly drains the 12v Battery and makes the cars unreliable. Add the fact that many has safety cameras, additional alarms, insurance boxes etc, all of which adds up to the battery drain issue. 
I wish Beatrice have a nice holiday and good luck with the car and let us know what happens on your return, hopefully there won’t be any surprises. 👍

The 12V Battery drain is new cars problems especielly with mandatory emergency calls service. Almost all new cars have phone/simcard in it. BEV and hybrid are effected more because the smaller 12V Battery size. 

Older hybrid without this phone service has better 12V Battery lifespan than typical ICE cars like Prius3, Auris, or older Yaris hybrid. 

I would invest my time on finding out how temporarily dissable this stupid emergency call battery drain for a while until Toyota released a true fix on it.  You can ask dealer if the ECU does not go to sleep after 20 minutes.  There are some campaign to reprogram the ECU on hybrids (RAV4, Sienna, etc.) that the ECU refuse tobsleep after 20 minutes. 

The link for TSB on PHEV RAV4 ECU sleep problem.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10220189-9999.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiYxrHA0uqAAxUyRuUKHfo0C0EQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1FHuLkfcLEPHLpvcFbBIvy

On 8/11/2023 at 2:25 PM, Eddie G said:

Agree about the amount of miles covered in a year the MPG i was getting was 69mpg in the summer but down to 59mpg in the winter in my MK4 Yaris hoping to get around 52-55mpg in my 1.5 Yaris so averaged out with the higher cost to buy the Hybrid plus £50 a year Hybrid battery heath check it would only make since if your covering a lot of miles over a number of years an guessing a 3-5 year owner ship of a Hybrid could probably work out no better off then owning a ICE car unless your putting the miles in a lot.

You don't need Hybridsystem-Check befor 5 years/60k miles. All hybrid components including ECU is under warranty. Winter mpg driving is always lower because the ICE reaches  ideal temp longer. But for long driving in highway, they are very similar. That's normal, non hybrid ICE also has lower mpg in winter. 

It is unavoidable to include electrification in all aspect and I don't believe in mild 48v hybrid, or BEV (90:1) Battery resources demands than HSD. It includes the Co,Ni, Lanthanides, etc. Not just cheap Li alone. 

Screenshot 2023-07-04 214650.png

• Like 1

@beebeayou should have jump starter meanwhile someone trouble shoot your Auris.  £50 can start the car more than 100x if needed. Just charge it up to 80% to keep its lifespan very long. https://amzn.eu/d/7ZfrYAr

Something is terribly not right on draining the Battery too often. Auris 2 should go to sleep after 20 minutes. Try to place the keyfob keys not too close to the car. Probably minimum 10m away. Find a good independent mechanics who can really take time checking all fuse lines and find the culprit of the draining. It could be something out of ordinary. Most of Auris owners, never have 12V  issues like in newer cars with emergency calls. 

• Like 1

Agree with last post, it should be perfectly fine to leave car way longer than 12 days without 12v Battery becoming flat. Has the OP done any real diagnosis to see If there's a parasitic drain? It should have been the first thing to do surely? You can play around with opinions and solar chargers till the cows come home but it won't help if there's a real fault there. It's a simple matter to do a basic check for any excessive drain 

• 6 months later...

Hi All, I have similar issues with my hybrid car Battery. I have problem to start the car after work, or in the morning (after not using the car over night), even use the car nearly every day for short distances (15-20miles). Took the car to Toyota dealer and was told that it failed one test, but pass the second one, ie, charged the car 8 hours and the Battery back to work again. Hence it is not covered by the warranty yet. I could drive more everyday, or leave the car at ready to charge longer at night. Or just replace the Battery now. Any suggestion? Thanks, Tina

42 minutes ago, Christine B said:

Hi All, I have similar issues with my hybrid car battery. I have problem to start the car after work, or in the morning (after not using the car over night), even use the car nearly every day for short distances (15-20miles). Took the car to Toyota dealer and was told that it failed one test, but pass the second one, ie, charged the car 8 hours and the battery back to work again. Hence it is not covered by the warranty yet. I could drive more everyday, or leave the car at ready to charge longer at night. Or just replace the battery now. Any suggestion? Thanks, Tina

Hi and welcome. 
Best will be to replace the Battery with new one and if you don’t drive often or for longer you can keep in ready mode once a week for around 30-40 min. No need to be longer than that. It seems your current Battery is in bad shape and no matter if pass the test it will not hold a charge when in daily use. Sometimes when batteries are old or been completely depleted they can not work properly and they can fail,even after long motorway trip. 
Regards 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the flat Battery club.

We have 2019 Auris Hybrid, the car is main dealer serviced. Every time we have a service we have the Battery health check, No problems found at any time. and ours is still under warranty

So when this became a problem, I spoke with the service manager.

He told me that unlike driving a  regular car with an alternator , where a long drive will Fully charge the Battery, The Hybrid systems doesn't work the same, as the power is sent to different parts of the system, not just the battery and you could drive 200 miles yet this would' guarantee a full battery.

Whether this is load of old tosh I don't really know. But I do know that he is right, so the car needs to used regularly.

So if we are going on holiday and planning to leave the car at the airport for say two weeks, I charge the battery in the boot overnight (12 hours) with a proper charger and that does the job, It' not a perfect situation but at this time of the year, You are probably using more electric in 10~15 mile drive than you are putting back into the system.

This goes for any cars, not just hybrids, when the dark nights come, Heater on, Lights on, wipers on, starting from cold .

If your car is over 6 year old, (you don't mention) maybe time to change the 12 volt battery in the boot, cost is between £90 ~ £120 depending upon the brand

• Like 1

Hi, thank you very much for the advice. Tina.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links