Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2023 RAV4 12.3 inch Multi-information Display

Griff_4988

Can anyone explain to me how to set this up please?

I have a 2023 Excel with the 12.3 inch digital dash display. Pressing the < & > meter control switches (in the circular group on LHS of steering wheel), brings up a small menu with a selectable 1,2,3 in it.

I know that a long press of the OK button then allows you to scroll left & right, to configure the tick boxes to enable or disable what you want displayed in the left & right parts of the dash. However I can't see what effect selecting 1, 2 or 3 has. I returned to the dealer to get the salesman to try and explain it to me, and he implied that the 1, 2 & 3 allow you to configure 3 different sets of items in the left & right of the dash. If this was the case, I would expect be able to see different items ticked or unticked in the left & right menus depending upon whether 1, 2 or 3 was selected. I've spent ages playing around with the dash, and I can't see that this is true.

I've read and reread the relevant section of the Owners Handbook, and it's no help at all.

I'm usually quite good at working my way around menus and similar digital systems, but this one has me beaten. Is it just me being thick, or are other people struggling to understand the 12.3 inch dash setup as well?

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

If not, I got my Highlander with the same digital dash yesterday and have sussed it, so let me know if you still need help .

Not really! An explanation better than I’ve managed to find in the manual would be a help thanks Pete B.

I can see that by scrolling the < & > keys left and right, I can choose 3 pairs of info in the left & right info displays (as enabled by the ticks in their related check box menus). Is that all there is to it, or there something clever I’m still missing?

From what I remember (I'm not with the car at the moment) once you select the style and format (one or two dials) you then move left and right until you see the dots on the inside edge of the area, this is the same for all three areas, then you move up and down to select different items to display, traction, Battery, mpg and so on.

I thinks thats how I've done it, I'm still experimenting myself.

Yes that sounds about right. I wondered whether the selectable <1, 2, 3> related to three sets of different info items you could display by setting up 3 sets of differing tick box selections in the tick box lists in the left & right menus. But it seems not, as I’ve tested this by first selecting <1> in the settings menu, then setting up a selection of ticks in one of the left/right menus, (while making a note of my selections), then selecting <2> in the setting menu, and then selecting a different selection of ticks in one of the left/right menus. However this didn’t work, as I still ended up with the same set of ticked and info items shown afterwards, regardless of whether I’d selected <1> or <2>.
The mystery continues… 🤔

Yes, the ticks seem to apply to all 3 views for left or right side.  In other words, you can only have different items ticked on the left to those on the right.

For example, if you only tick 3 items on the right, then hit the left arrow once (brackets surround the right screen item), the info displayed on the right will be for one of the 3 items ticked.  If you then hit the up or down arrow, it will scroll through the info for the 3 items ticked.

Whichever you leave showing when you either hit the 'back' button or the edit function times out (which happens very quickly), it will stay visible for that view until you change it.

You can then set up it to show a different one of the three items ticked for views 1  2 & 3.

On the left side, you could tick any number of the options and select one for each of the three views too.  

On mine, I've got Energy Monitor and AWD on view 1, Tot Average mpg and Trip B stats on 2 and Audio and tyre pressures on 3.

When you first press and hold OK the up and down arrows change the centre display - I can't see tick boxes anywhere for that.

Hope that helps.

Now if only I could get the tyre pressures in psi and not bar!

• Like 1

Also, if you press and hold OK and move to a display that has statistics such as mpg or average speed, holding OK can zero the item.

Thanks Pete, I’ve got gist of what you’re saying. I’ll have to go and have another play sometime. The neighbours already think I’m weird, when I first got the car at the start of September I was going out and sitting in it on the driveway for 20 or 30 minutes at a time, learning my way around the multi-info display and the infotainment system.

You can display tyre pressures? I know how to reset the TPMS on mine (once I’ve checked the actual pressures), but I’ve not been able to display the stored pressures, which seems odd as the data must be held in the system - even my wife’s 7 year old Mini can display its tyre pressures! Maybe I need a software update.

2 hours ago, Griff_4988 said:

Thanks Pete, I’ve got gist of what you’re saying. I’ll have to go and have another play sometime. The neighbours already think I’m weird, when I first got the car at the start of September I was going out and sitting in it on the driveway for 20 or 30 minutes at a time, learning my way around the multi-info display and the infotainment system.

You can display tyre pressures? I know how to reset the TPMS on mine (once I’ve checked the actual pressures), but I’ve not been able to display the stored pressures, which seems odd as the data must be held in the system - even my wife’s 7 year old Mini can display its tyre pressures! Maybe I need a software update.

I have not got my Rav4 yet but in the manual there is a page that shows the tyre pressures by tyre 

Not sure how to get it to show psi though

image.thumb.png.0fff109da1102fe328db426858d1fab9.png

Do you know if you can split the main screen ? I would like the sat nav screen on but also what audio is playing, I could on my old hilux but not found it on this yet , thanks for above info as I haven’t worked out how to change the 12.3 screen either !

16 hours ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

I have not got my Rav4 yet but in the manual there is a page that shows the tyre pressures by tyre 

Not sure how to get it to show psi though

image.thumb.png.0fff109da1102fe328db426858d1fab9.png

What manual did you get that from Gs? The physical handbook supplied with my car seems to be a cut down version, with an absolutely hopeless so called ‘Index’ in the back, which is non-alphabetical, and so makes it very hard to find anything.

I have downloaded .pdf versions of the RAV4 Owners and Navigation manuals from the Toyota website, neither contains the page 409 shown in your post, and I’m pretty sure (without going outside to the car to check again) that my RAV4 does not have the pressure display options shown in your page 409.

I asked the dealer whether they could provide printed copies of these larger manuals, and was told Toyota no longer supplied them.

Can you tell me where you downloaded your copy, and what car it relates to?

Does anyone else’s 2023 UK model RAV4 with the 12.3 inch display show tyre pressures?

2 hours ago, Griff_4988 said:

What manual did you get that from Gs? The physical handbook supplied with my car seems to be a cut down version, with an absolutely hopeless so called ‘Index’ in the back, which is non-alphabetical, and so makes it very hard to find anything.

I have downloaded .pdf versions of the RAV4 Owners and Navigation manuals from the Toyota website, neither contains the page 409 shown in your post, and I’m pretty sure (without going outside to the car to check again) that my RAV4 does not have the pressure display options shown in your page 409.

I asked the dealer whether they could provide printed copies of these larger manuals, and was told Toyota no longer supplied them.

Can you tell me where you downloaded your copy, and what car it relates to?

Does anyone else’s 2023 UK model RAV4 with the 12.3 inch display show tyre pressures?

Its from the Toyota UK site

https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/manuals

I clicked the Rav4 HEV

then

2018-today photo

then

image.thumb.png.daf760be3f63b6ba2e86bdc97de353db.png

2023 as the year

and finally the owners manual

image.thumb.png.1d2ad60a3c22c07d6b24fe19ea5c9869.png

which is dated 1st October 2023

I hope that helps!

If you figure it out, please do share because then I will know what to do when mine arrives!

Ah yes. That explains it thanks, I downloaded the manual by entering the VIN number of my car, which took me to an older version dated 03/10/2022.

There appears to be a problem with the site at the moment though. When I try to download the 01/10/2023 .pdf by the route you've described, I just get the spinning circle of death. I'll try it again later... and come back to you if I do figure it out...

7 minutes ago, Griff_4988 said:

I downloaded the manual by entering the VIN number of my car, which took me to an older version dated 03/10/2022.

So, you already have the correct version of the Owner's Manual that describes the features of your car / model year.

By all means download a later version of the Owner's Manual, but don't get disappointed when it describes features that your car doesn't (and never will) have ... 😉

My car was made in the last week of June 2023. However as you rightly say, I probably have the older software - although displaying TPMS tyre pressures is the sort of thing I would think might get included in an Over the Air update sometime.

3 minutes ago, Griff_4988 said:

My car was made in the last week of June 2023. However as you rightly say, I probably have the older software - although displaying TPMS tyre pressures is the sort of thing I would think might get included in an Over the Air update sometime.

Is this your first Toyota?

8 minutes ago, philip42h said:

don't get disappointed when it describes features that your car doesn't (and never will) have ... 😉

And I have an earlier version still ... and know that my current RAV, just like the last two, will never display tyre pressures via the TPMS system. That's life ... 🙂

8 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Is this your first Toyota?

And I have an earlier version still ... and know that my current RAV, just like the last two, will never display tyre pressures via the TPMS system. That's life ... 🙂

Thats concerning! I do wonder if my car built in the last week of September 2023 will even have it then 😬

1 hour ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

Thats concerning! I do wonder if my car built in the last week of September 2023 will even have it then 😬

Yes, it’s my first Toyota. I’ve had a variety of Audis, Fords & VWs before. But thought I’d go for the reputed reliability of Toyota this time.

Do you have the VIN number yet? It should be shown in the MyToyota app once your car is built, if you’ve installed and registered with it on your phone. If so, you should be able to see which manual you’re taken to on their main website as being relevant to your car as we discussed above (and hence which features you have, as philip42h says above). I was able to download the manuals for my car weeks before I got it.

13 hours ago, Griff_4988 said:

Yes, it’s my first Toyota. I’ve had a variety of Audis, Fords & VWs before. But thought I’d go for the reputed reliability of Toyota this time.

Do you have the VIN number yet? It should be shown in the MyToyota app once your car is built, if you’ve installed and registered with it on your phone. If so, you should be able to see which manual you’re taken to on their main website as being relevant to your car as we discussed above (and hence which features you have, as philip42h says above). I was able to download the manuals for my car weeks before I got it.

I think the comment about your first Toyota was from the other posted and I would hazard a guess he meant that as a question because sadly Toyota never do such updates (I know from having owned a Corolla).

Frustratingly on the MyToyota App the car is showing as Build in Progress but about 3 weeks ago I got a left the factory email. I have no idea at what stage its actually at, and I cannot see any VIN number when using MyToyota app or logging into the desktop site 😞 

Edit: looking through my emails 5 days after I signed the order at 3pm with the dealer the car left the factory, I think that time line is far too soon?

15 hours ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

11 minutes ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

I think the comment about your first Toyota was from the other poster and I would hazard a guess he meant that as a question because sadly Toyota never do such updates (I know from having owned a Corolla).

Yes that was me - and a bit of a "cheap shot" - sorry ... but that was my point - historically Toyota have sold cars "as specified" and haven't engaged in through life upgrades so I wouldn't be expecting any. Maybe in the future this will change ...

Is it really "concerning"? I mean concerning enough to cancel your order and wait for a better spec? I suspect not.

One of the recurring themes is folk who have studied the specs available in other geographies - typically the US since they get newer models before we do - and are the disappointed that UK spec cars don't match their expectations. The same would be true of expectations based on reading the 'wrong' owner's manual.

Yes, of course I would like a TPMS system that saved me from having to check the tyre pressures from time to time. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't affect my enjoyment at driving the three year old RAV4.5 that I have now.

Enjoy your car, when it comes ... 🙂

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

One of the recurring themes is folk who have studied the specs available in other geographies - typically the US since they get newer models before we do - and are the disappointed that UK spec cars don't match their expectations.

One of the reasons that US models are, typically, much better equipped than EU/UK models, regardless of manufacturer, is that US customers are far more demanding. They will put up with far less and will more readily vote with their dollars. The UK public are, seemingly, much more reluctant to complain.

I read the wrong model year brochure when I was looking for my car and I expected it to have an electric/memory passenger seat rather than driver only. It seems that Toyota tweak their specs often and you need to be on the ball to avoid disappointment. In one of Ahmed's videos (Car Care Nut) he point out how they included a particular type of glass roof in one model, one spec, for a short time only, as a sort of market test.

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

Yes that was me - and a bit of a "cheap shot" - sorry ... but that was my point - historically Toyota have sold cars "as specified" and haven't engaged in through life upgrades so I wouldn't be expecting any. Maybe in the future this will change ...

Is it really "concerning"? I mean concerning enough to cancel your order and wait for a better spec? I suspect not.

One of the recurring themes is folk who have studied the specs available in other geographies - typically the US since they get newer models before we do - and are the disappointed that UK spec cars don't match their expectations. The same would be true of expectations based on reading the 'wrong' owner's manual.

Yes, of course I would like a TPMS system that saved me from having to check the tyre pressures from time to time. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't affect my enjoyment at driving the three year old RAV4.5 that I have now.

Enjoy your car, when it comes ... 🙂

Perhaps concerning was the wrong word, maybe "extremely frustrating" instead.

The Rav 4 dash/system went through an update and I would have expected that something that is present on my wifes 2022 Yaris hybrid should be in a car thats just a smidge under 40k. 

My previous BMW and Corolla had the TPMS system but it is the older style one. Just frustrating that a convenience feature maybe absent from the car. I guess I need to wait and see when it arrives as to if such a feature is on there.

I do wonder why the lack of information from them (as usual) as to which model year or production time frame such feature is going to be present on. 

Anyway I guess the thread poster (and mine) question has been answered 😄

Yep, re. TPMS pressure display. As I mentioned several posts ago, it seems odd that given all the gizmos which ARE included in the 2023 RAV4, displaying the tyre pressures as measured by the TPMS isn't one of them, particularly when you consider that, as an example, my wife's 2016 BMW Mini does show this information. So obviously other people have been doing it for years.

• Like 1

A few years ago I paid VW to have the visual tyre pressures displayed in my Tiguan at the cost of about £70. I asked at the time why it wasn't just fitted as standard and the reply he gave me made total sense. Basically, the EU (and we were members at the time) had made a minimum requirement that a TPMS system must be fitted in all cars being sold in EU. However, because it does not state that each individual tyre pressure needs to be reported we got what we have now as the minimum standard. I guess car manufacturers are just following the minimum standard rule for the minimum cost to apply.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links