Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Supermarket Fuel

YarisHybrid2016

Peeps with low usage / once a week runs etc would be better off using E5.

Ethanol is hygroscopic, it will naturally absorb moisture from the air. Petrol is the opposite, it repels water. Whilst not a problem in a vehicle in regular use it can be a problem during storage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have kept detailed fuel usage on Fuelly  on over 11 years with my Honda Jazz petrol.

I have used ordinary E5 petrol, E10 petrol and premium petrol over hundreds of miles and:

can detect no change in engine running

can  see  no change in measured fuel consumption,

So I use the cheapest petrol: usually E10 from Sainsbury's My fuel consumption has hardly varied overall from year to year

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That’s really interesting, how old is your Honda Jazz Michael?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

I have kept detailed fuel usage on Fuelly  on over 11 years with my Honda Jazz petrol.

I have used ordinary E5 petrol, E10 petrol and premium petrol over hundreds of miles and:

So I use the cheapest petrol: usually E10 from Sainsbury's My fuel consumption has hardly varied overall from year to year

I presume you’ve not trawled 10000 posts.  We’ve concluded that there is not always a noticeable difference in consumption (although me MkIV Yaris leapt up about 20%) and whether you can hear a difference depends on whether you know what you are listening for.  The crunch that applies to every one of us including you depends on how long you keep the car because without exception, the internal workings of the of the fuel and exhaust system WILL benefit from the additives.  They are expensive to add which is why it is more expensive.  The ethanol thing is a completely different agenda.  Toyota have rejected warranty claims in some markets for vehicles with gummed up injectors and EGR damage due to poor fuel quality.  Now the last “whether”. …. you decide it matters to you.  

• Like 4

I use E10 all the time in the car E 5 for gardening gear but to protect the car against corrosion of fuel related parts I giving it a drink of REDEX petrol system cleaner.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I use E10 all the time in the car E 5 for gardening gear but to protect the car against corrosion of fuel related parts I giving it a drink of REDEX petrol system cleaner.

That’s the other option Derek.  I don’t know about Redex but I know Millers has all the gubbins that high grade fuel does but it actually works out siimilar in price and there’s a faff element to it.  I’ve found a fuel station in deepest darkest Manchester where high grade Texaco is 12p a litre more than bog standard juice.  The bog standard is already better than supermarket weasel pee.  We had nightmare situations with diesel RAV4s with that stuff. It literally wrecked engines.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I dont always use supermarket fuel but I do go to garages that sell it at the low end of the market without going out of my way just to fill up!.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I dont always use supermarket fuel but I do go to garages that sell it at the low end of the market without going out of my way just to fill up!.

Supermarket is the same base as the rest so dosed up with additives I’m pretty sure it will work out the same as branded fuel 👍.  Keep in mind, Jeff reckons E10 will hold moisture and that is definitely not good for injectors etc.  

• Like 2

I often use a BP garage if I am passing that way as its the chepest in our area if I am traveling east through Fencehouses.

• Like 3

I see Vlad-the-mad has stopped exporting diesel fuel to reduce the cost in russia. I expect to see fuel prices rising here. Glad I filled yesterday.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jimota said:

That’s really interesting, how old is your Honda Jazz Michael?

2012 Jazz 1.4CVT Owned since 6 months/500 miles old. Serviced annually by Honda for 5 years (Prepaid plan) then me for 6 years. 60k miles.

Runs as it did when I bought it except the handbrake which  required stripping and rebuild of rear brakes..Now fine.

Burns no oil

• Like 4

Interesting to see Ethanol is bad. That's the stuff in all of your alcohol drinks. 

I had a Aventis 2005 and in Ireland I was force to change to E10 because it changed overnight. With such an old car I thought I would have problem but I saw no change in performance or mpg over a period of months,  I still averaged 40mpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Madasafish said:

I had a Honda Jazz for six years and tried super unleaded on a couple of occasions. I also noticed no difference over normal 95 octane.  However in my Corolla E5 99 octane definitely makes the engine smoother, quieter and gives slightly better MPG.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Roker said:

interesting to see Ethanol is bad. That's the stuff in all of your alcohol drinks

Like most things in life its only bad if you over do it -

Ethanol, or ethyl alcohol, is the only type of alcohol that you can drink without seriously harming yourself, and then only if it hasn't been denatured or doesn't contain toxic impurities. Ethanol is sometimes called grain alcohol because it is the main type of alcohol produced by grain fermentation.

The Difference Between Alcohol and Ethanol (thoughtco.com)

I use Shell V Power E5 99 for two reasons, 1) I believe it will keep the fuel system and engine clean, 2) my Shell garage is 200 yards down the road 😉

• Like 5

I use Tesco Momentum 99 which is £163.9 per litre Shell V power is £170.9 so a good saving, momentum 99 also has the additives that help keep the fuel system clean.

Tesco Momentum 99

Published: 22 November 2022 
Updated: 16 May 2023

Our Momentum 99 petrol contains a special blend of additives to help keep a car's fuel system clean and working at its best.

Additionally, the higher octane level (99 compared to 95 for regular unleaded petrol) gives improved overall engine performance for cars that are able to take advantage of this (generally, sportier models).

Most Tesco Petrol Filling Stations across England, Scotland and Wales stock Momentum 99. We don’t currently have a supply terminal that is able to produce our high octane base fuel to blend with our exclusive additives in Northern Ireland.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

We don’t currently have a supply terminal that is able to produce our high octane base fuel to blend with our exclusive additives in Northern Ireland.

Does that mean Tesco Momentum isn't available in NI or are the additives exclusive to NI?

17 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Does that mean Tesco Momentum isn't available in NI or are the additives exclusive to NI?

The way i read it is they cannot produce 99 octane fuel as it says -  "We don’t currently have a supply terminal that is able to produce our high octane base fuel" do we have any members from NI?

I found this which may explain why they dont have it - 

Evo-Des ·
Sorry to **** on your cornflakes so to speak but there is no facility in N.Ireland to store a different type of fuel we can always live in hope though!

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I use Tesco Momentum 99 which is £163.9 per litre Shell V power is £170.9 so a good saving, momentum 99 also has the additives that help keep the fuel system clean.

Tesco Momentum 99

Published: 22 November 2022 
Updated: 16 May 2023

Our Momentum 99 petrol contains a special blend of additives to help keep a car's fuel system clean and working at its best.

Additionally, the higher octane level (99 compared to 95 for regular unleaded petrol) gives improved overall engine performance for cars that are able to take advantage of this (generally, sportier models).

Most Tesco Petrol Filling Stations across England, Scotland and Wales stock Momentum 99. We don’t currently have a supply terminal that is able to produce our high octane base fuel to blend with our exclusive additives in Northern Ireland.

Shell V Power at my local is 160.9 p

29 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

Shell V Power at my local is 160.9 p

In that case Momentum will probably be 153p in your area!

17 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I don’t know really, I only go to this Tesco and I am happy. I don’t like Shell fuels around me. E5 or e10 not better than Tesco just more expensive, usually around 10-15p on top. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madasafish said:

2012 Jazz 1.4CVT Owned since 6 months/500 miles old. Serviced annually by Honda for 5 years (Prepaid plan) then me for 6 years. 60k miles.

Runs as it did when I bought it except the handbrake which  required stripping and rebuild of rear brakes..Now fine.

Burns no oil

Looks like you made a wise investment.  Getting over 10 years reliability is good to hear and the fact you carried on servicing the vehicle yourself.  I have only recently tried the E5 experiment and my mpg figures have certainly improved but maybe the engine “loosening”  up after 3000 miles is also a factor.  

• Like 2

Is it worthwhile adding Redex to a newish car? I have not seen any E5 near me since just after I bought my YC, certainly the place I use only has E10. I use the same place for 95% of my petrol purchases as I get 4 cent/litre discount. 🙂.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links