Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

The way I’ve read descriptions the Noco genius 5 is a charger not a boost jump starter, excuses if I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, Dezzer21 said:

The way I’ve read descriptions the Noco genius 5 is a charger not a boost jump starter, excuses if I’m wrong.

That is yes, thought se were talking about noco booster packs (as in GB40 ETC)

Got CTEK MXS 5.0 today put on charge took an hour to get to full.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Driving 1.5 hours today - "smart charging" car Battery at 12.8V 99% of the total driving time. It is interesting that the system evaluates a voltage of 12.25V as a sufficiently charged car Battery

image.thumb.png.487bd1a90a55ae9782acae84c765c730.png

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Dala said:

Driving 1.5 hours today - "smart charging" car battery at 12.8V 99% of the total driving time. It is interesting that the system evaluates a voltage of 12.25V as a sufficiently charged car battery. 

image.thumb.png.487bd1a90a55ae9782acae84c765c730.png

I think it means this is the voltage now at this moment in time 12.25Volts within a 3 minute time cycle or there about. Then after that its receving a charge.

14 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I think it means this is the voltage now at this moment in time 12.25Volts within a 3 minute time cycle or there about. Then after that its receving a charge.

Derek, you have a new Battery. Is your graph the same during the day?

I dont have a fancy way to get graphs like this, but just from the cigarette lighter voltage monitor, my few week old Yaris Cross isnt going that low. It seems to charge a lot more often than yours for starters, but in general I havnt really seen it below 12,6v much at all if any

Also, it almost felt like that a new car has some forced charge cycle at the start. For like the first 2 days the voltage didnt drop from 13,9v or something at all, as in it was charging all the time. Then, when it presumably hit a full SoC or some other threshold, it started acting normally. If it's actually hard coded in there, them that's good. It would be smart to have it do that a few times a year probably, but that might be wishful thinking.

21 hours ago, Dala said:

Derek, you have a new battery. Is your graph the same during the day?

Dala, Its the same if I charge it using CTEK it wont drop a for a while staying at 100%+ that is.

I also have Veepeak pluged in so its a extra drain of 2 or 3 mA per hour.

IMG_0752.thumb.PNG.cab54f90e7a499b7092a5f1450eda93c.PNGIMG_0753.thumb.PNG.a2c8eef1601df51a17eb8532b3a5b688.PNG

• Thanks 1

Im a bit lost with a lot of technical details here so my question is has anyone had experience of using the put it in ready mode for an hour if the car is not being used?

On 9/14/2023 at 2:45 PM, chazbri said:

Im a bit lost with a lot of technical details here so my question is has anyone had experience of using the put it in ready mode for an hour if the car is not being used?

Leaving the car in ready mode for an hour is an acceptable method of maintaining the 12v Battery, in fact it is recommended by Toyota for low use vehicles.  When I am washing my car I leave it in ready mode to charge the 12v Battery.  In an hour the engine will start 3 times and run for 3 or 4 minutes each time in order to keep up the charge in the HV Battery which is supplying power to the 12v battery.

• Like 2

Thanks Trewithy that's advice I'll take. I didnt want to go down the Battery charger path although that's fine for those who want to take that option.

My YC is definitely pushing higher charging voltages and more often than at least what Dala's graphs show. I wonder if theyve updated the smart charging logic after these issues?

On a more practical note I have just updated my CTEK .8 basic charger that I have used on my Honda motorcycle to a CTEK MXS 5. Which mode should I use on the Cross the .8 motorcycle mode or normal. 

Any suggestions

Thanks 

23 hours ago, BugsyB said:

On a more practical note I have just updated my CTEK .8 basic charger that I have used on my Honda motorcycle to a CTEK MXS 5. Which mode should I use on the Cross the .8 motorcycle mode or normal. 

Any suggestions

Thanks 

Normal mode is the one to go for. I use that mode on my CTEK for charging my Yaris Mk 4 and it's brought no problems. The charger does it's own thing and then effectively shuts down when it's done.

37 minutes ago, Mike1394 said:

...Normal mode is the one to go for....

Are you sure ?
The Ca/Ca car Battery is charged to 100% with a voltage of 16.5V.
I am using AGM mode.
Of course, it does not have 16.5V, but it has a higher charging voltage than NORMAL mode (0.3V difference)

I'm sorry but I am even more confused now. Has my Yaris Cross got an AGM sealed Battery under the seat. I am not mechanically minded just trying to do the right thing. I thought the little Battery under there mimicked my motorcycle Battery and I didn't want to frighten it!

I haven't a clue what type of 12v Battery I have in my Yaris, and neither do I know what type Steve has in his. I do know, however, that using the Normal mode on a CTEK charger will do no harm. Using this mode may not bring the Battery to 100% s.o.c., but neither, apparently, does the Toyota recommended 'hour in ready mode'. If I get into my car and it starts I'm content. It did let me down once, and I now have an AA solar panel that connects to the OBD socket. That gives me sufficient confidence as the car spends a good deal of time on my drive. Age, my wife's infirmity and my own illness restrict me to about 2500 miles a year, and for the odd naysayer out there, yes I do want a hybrid, this is my third. I love it . . . . .

• Like 5

A week and a day away and Privacy Mode active on our Excell and started first time. Still not had an issue yet.

Tuning company owner:
"The normal voltage for vehicles with active smart charging is 12.2V maximum, so the Battery is subjected to permanent sulphation, which randomly alternates with overcharging. This is why the batteries of today's new cars last about 3 years instead of the usual 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Confirmation information about the charging voltage for Ca/Ca batteries :

image.thumb.png.35956659e4ce39d687aabfbbda7fd7c5.png

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/c-tek-mxs-5-smart-charger-functions.107314/

User manual for CTEK Battery CHARGER PRO60/PRO120 :

image.thumb.png.df9af4db83764ed9d5daf0d620544a71.png

https://www.rotronicsbms.com/pub/media/resources/images/image/c/t/ctek_pro120_user_manual.pdf

Can someone tell me when the 12 v Battery is being charged up and is there any indication of that on the dash? I ask because if we are told to stand the car, does that mean that even when being driven on Battery the 12v is still charging?

Yes the Battery is charged also when ICE is not running.  The Battery is charged by a DC-DC onverter using power taken by the hybrid Battery ( something similar to CTEK or other chargers but powered by hybrid battery instead of mains ) .

There's no indiation on the dash because is a process managed directly by the ECU and end user should not care of that. 

• Like 1

I am in the frequent habit of using a CTEK as I sometimes do a lot of short journeys.  I went out this morning for an eight mile trip, possible the longest journey I've done in two weeks.  When I got home and put the car in the garage I thought I would give the Battery a top-up but before I connected the charger I measured the Battery voltage, to my amazement it was 12.8v, a lot higher than normal.  It was a wet morning so I had the headlights on the whole time I was out and I seem to remember reading that having the lights on forces the car to charge the 12v Battery at a higher rate, it seems that this is true. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 8:25 PM, Trewithy said:

I am in the frequent habit of using a CTEK as I sometimes do a lot of short journeys.  I went out this morning for an eight mile trip, possible the longest journey I've done in two weeks.  When I got home and put the car in the garage I thought I would give the battery a top-up but before I connected the charger I measured the battery voltage, to my amazement it was 12.8v, a lot higher than normal.  It was a wet morning so I had the headlights on the whole time I was out and I seem to remember reading that having the lights on forces the car to charge the 12v battery at a higher rate, it seems that this is true. 

That would explain why I've noticed over 14v charging voltages now with the days getting darker here with lights on more often than not.

Hi everyone

I've had no problems with the 12v Battery since I got the Yaris cross 18 months ago until last night. I use the car every day for long and short journeys during the week but Saturday it started as usual I drove it out of the garage and then I switched it off ready to wash it. When I came to use it in the evening it wouldn't go to ready mode so had to call Toyota breakdown. All it needed was a boost for the 12v Battery. I didn't think I would get caught out like this considering how I use it. I think I read on here that the Noco GB20 500A jump starter is suitable for the Yaris hybrid could anyone tell me if this is correct, looking forward to your replies.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links