Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

Max, except the former will be able to get to the garage to get a new Battery under warranty. 

And also convince said garage that they have a maintenance kit as well.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:01 AM, MCatPG said:

I expect this thread (Yaris Cross - consistently flat 12v battery) will be merged with the big 12V battery thread, where the following comment has been made by me and others many times, but just in case anyone reads about this issue here and doesn't find the big thread....

The number of miles you do each week or each year is irrelevant.

What matters is the number of hours each week during which the car is in READY mode and the shift is in DRIVE. During these hours the car can be stationery (with HOLD selected) or in motion, it makes no difference.

Here is the reason, for anyone is isn't up to speed on all this yet. The 12V battery is not charged in the conventional way by an alternator on the engine. It is charged using current from the high voltage traction battery, which in turn is charged by the engine, which will start and run if you are charging while the vehicle is stationary. But the on-board charging will only happen while the car is in READY + DRIVE. That's the way the system has been designed and you have to live with it.

Why are you sayng READY + DRIVE ?

DC - DC is charging the Battery also in READY + PARK.  

In DRIVE probably the DC-DC generates more current to support a bigger request from services but also in P the Battery is charged.

I don't think is safe to stay in READY + DRIVE with HOLD selected for a long time. 

HOLD should be used for short stops ( eg. Road Light ) but not for long ones ( witing in the car or a train crossing ).

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 12:01 PM, Max_Headroom said:

If you drive an ICE car infrequently and do not do many miles when you do drive it  the battery will  eventually let you down, the Hybrid 12v battery is much smaller than an ICE vehicles battery and from what i have read in the thread the Hybrid system doesn't charge it as fast as an alternator in an ICE car i dont believe its a *bad battery issue i believe owners having these issues simply dont drive them enough.

*obviously some cars will have duff batteries but that will be the minority.    

The statistics don’t add up.  I don’t just change batteries, I test them and they are cream crackered.  I’ve not come across one that can be recovered.  

• Like 3

My 20 month old (with 9,000 miles) Yaris Cross has just refused to start again having been left for 4 days in my garage. This is the 3rd time it has done this. Toyota locally tell me this is a known problem with hybrids and the only solution is to up my annual mileage or put the car in R and let it charge itself up for an hour. The AA has told me the 12v Battery is only pulling 14amps and needs replacing. He says the problem is endemic across all Toyota hybrids. 

This is my 4th Toyota and first hybrid. The 3 petrol engine cars were totally reliable and never let me down. I can't even recall a component being replaced. I wish I had never bought the Cross. To be told I need to up mu mileage, buy a starter pack, or run the car in R for at least an hour per week is beyond belief.

• Like 3

There have been cases of some dealers changing the 12v under warranty where they've felt they failed unreasonably prematurely, but it's not consistent - Some have been adamant it's not covered under warranty.

I do wonder if the charging profile is something that is contributing to the shorter life of the 12v batteries, as this problem seems to be much more prone on hybrids and EVs.

Could it be something like the high in-rush current from an alternator helps knock some of the scale off the lead plates, but the more constant and gentle charging of the DC-DC converters doesn't do this...?

Maybe if car manufacturers put some of the same Battery re-conditioning circuitry you get in the better trickle chargers it could help mitigate it...?

(Side note - I'm still not having any problems with mine, and I can jinx it as much as I want for the next 6 months as that's apparently how long the charge in the Noco jump starter in the car will last when I forget to charge it :laugh: )

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi, 

not a real issue with the car but more with the seller who should have been clear , small 12v batteries need regular maintenance or risk been depleted. Instead, dealers are offering unnecessary accessories like dash cams etc which only adds to the existing Battery problem. 
Once the Battery been low enough not to start the car then after even if it was fully charged the damage was already done and this Battery will need replacement. There are also procedures for maintenance of these cars and batteries by dealers and while in transit which likely been neglected here in uk as so,d other things prior to new car delivery., tyre pressures for example. 
The best way now is to argue and request a new battery replacement under warranty with pretext of premature failure and not fit for purpose. Then invest in a smart charger and if the car not in regular daily use of 30 min or more each time you start it recharge the battery via smart charger once every few weeks, winter times more often or use the car in ready mode for 30-60 min once a week. Don’t let your new battery gets too low. 
There  are some other settings you can do to help extend battery life, for example turn off home lights function, auto fold side mirrors, auto parking brake engagement,  disable connected services if you don’t use them, anything really that can drain your battery unnecessarily. 
Good luck 

• Like 6

You could also get the Yuasa Battery for that car - It'll be better quality and have a higher capacity than the weird turkish one that is the current standard OE unit.

It does seem with the new Yarisususesieses, they need to be trickle-charged if not used frequently. I've not had any issues with mine but I drive it every day, sometimes not very far, but thanks to London traffic always very long :laugh: 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

The statistics don’t add up.  I don’t just change batteries, I test them and they are cream crackered.  I’ve not come across one that can be recovered.  

I am still convinced its lack of use causing the bad Battery problem not the Battery being bad in the first place (as it says below) This is due to the fact that the Battery will self-discharge if it isn't used regularly, and this can eventually lead to the battery being unable to hold a charge.

The most common complaint about the Toyota Hybrid 12v battery is its tendency to have a problem starting when left sitting in the garage for a long time or only driven on short trips often. This usually comes from people who just recently shifted to hybrid vehicle

Normally, the problem itself lies with the way the hybrid vehicle is used. The Toyota Hybrid 12v battery will likely develop problems starting when only driven on short trips or has been left in the garage for a while. This is due to the fact that the battery will self-discharge if it isn't used regularly, and this can eventually lead to the battery being unable to hold a charge.

Toyota Hybrid 12V Battery Problems - Why Do They Occur? (cararac.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich L-T said:

Yaris Cross has just refused to start again having been left for 4 days in my garage. This is the 3rd time it has done this.

68 pages here - https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/197814-12v-battery-maintenance-issues-etc/?do=getLastComment

Now it has gone flat, it will have lost some capacity. A CTEK MXS 5.0 charger will keep it conditioned, seeing as you have a garage, this may be an option? 

My dad leaves his CHR in airport car parks for 2 weeks over winter with no issues, as he tops up the 12v Battery with the charger beforehand. 

• Like 5

Just charged my 12 volt Battery today it was standing at 12.28volts so just below 50% so plenty of power to start car but batterys loose its ability to hold a charge below 12.20 volts so I dont let it drop into that area.

CTEC charger was showing 3 leds lights on out of 7 leds led 6 is fully charged/float mode. 

Out of curiosity, what sort of overnight temperatures are you seeing?