Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

51 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My personal theory is the Mutley batteries suffer excessive degradation if they're discharged too low, and as you say it's likely that's happened once or twice while it was in storage, so the battery starts off degraded when it gets to the customer. Customer then doesn't use the car so much and battery degradation accelerates.

That's why I reckon the Yuasa seems to solve the problem, as it seems to be much more resistant to degradation from partial charge and doesn't just drop all its capacity off a cliff so readily.

My Mk4 is a workhorse so it gets heavy use, but I think that's staved off the degradation in the OE battery (Which still hasn't died on me!)

I agree
only one jump in three years
I regularly drive approx. 18 thousand km/year
since the first jump, I regularly charge the Battery approx. 1x/14 days
after 3 years, a larger "desulfation" value to appear during charging

today :

image.thumb.png.431b40769b434ff743888edb55566f45.png  image.thumb.png.70ddd7acbea54dc31cd829f1ae8dc356.png

• Like 2

Just for interest, over the past month leading up to Xmas, have not used the car much and for short trips 2x a week of 25mins returns to the shops (2 starts). 

Today measured the voltage, reads 12.08v, 1.5 day without using the car. I usually walk to the park to do exercise, though need to top up the Battery so drove there. 9 mins journey and park up in ready mode for another 5mins = 14 mins. About 2 hrs later done 11 km walk, voltage is 12.10v. 

So needed to leave it on ready mode for longer on the return journey home. Been meaning to top up on tyre pressure for a while, so perfect time to do it while the car is in ready mode. Total time 33 mins back home, 12.67v. 

• Like 2

A thought:

Buying a Battery charger and looking after your Battery is no different from buying a tyre inflator and looking after your tyres.

Thanks @MOJO for the prompt. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Difference is you can easily find out the tyre pressure readings and even a warning light pops up to remind you. Yet for the Battery.. you're on your own.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jules88 said:

Difference is you can easily find out the tyre pressure readings and even a warning light pops up to remind you. Yet for the battery.. you're on your own.

I bought one of these recently peace of mind for little money - 

12V Voltmeter Car LED Digital Volt Gauge Thermometer USB Charger Voltage Meter - Picture 3 of 15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please, someone put confused of Durham our of his misery.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Maybe it's a bit like the perpetually surprised, some I know in real life bemoan the expense of Christmas for instance, when I point out it happens on the same day every year, they get all bewildered.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

A slow charger is just going to be slow but hopefully a regulated voltage some are not.

A smart charger as it name suggest is microprocessor controlled so more protection for your car electronics. Then you have the option of using it as a slow charger IE bike mode.

• Thanks 1

15 Year Toyota Hybrid Battery Cover

In addition to the manufacturer warranty, your Toyota Hybrid Battery can benefit from up to 15 years of warranty in total. With every service at a Toyota dealer, the warranty is extended for a further 12 months, up to the 15th year of registration

Found this on Toyota UK website.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hind said:

What does it have to do with the 12V battery? 🙂

Exactly!

Yossarian247 on the Corolla forum has just updated me that the guarantee refers to the traction Battery.  Sorry for the b_m info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:07 PM, Roy124 said:

What do you mean.....this again doesn't make sense?

• Confused 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:42 PM, Roy124 said:

A thought:

Buying a battery charger and looking after your battery is no different from buying a tyre inflator and looking after your tyres.

Thanks @MOJO for the prompt. 

Not true.....this is the only car that I've owned ...that needs to be on constant charge...thus preventing charge anxiety...tyres might need an occasional evident top up.

• Like 1

What do you mean.....this again doesn't make sense?

I wondered what he meant when he posted "Please, someone put confused of Durham our of his misery" i  wasn't going to trawl through a 79 page thread to find out,  has anyone any idea?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I wondered what he meant when he posted "Please, someone put confused of Durham our of his misery" i  wasn't going to trawl through a 79 page thread to find out,  has anyone any idea?

Yes...I'm quite easily confused.

• Confused 1

Battery technology has improved with sealed batteries and different construction,  but some of us may remember having a bottle of distilled water on the garage shelf, of topping up each cell, and watching the electrolyte bubbling and gassing off.

Between then and now batteries have become, for many, a fit and forget item.

What is new is the increasing load placed on smaller batteries while the car is nominally powered off.

Yes, the manufacturers should have designed systems to cope and some, such as KIA use the HV Battery as the 'jumper'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Battery technology has improved with sealed batteries and different construction,  but some of us may remember having a bottle of distilled water on the garage shelf, of topping up each cell, and watching the electrolyte bubbling and gassing off.

Between then and now batteries have become, for many, a fit and forget item.

What is new is the increasing load placed on smaller batteries while the car is nominally powered off.

Yes, the manufacturers should have designed systems to cope and some, such as KIA use the HV battery as the 'jumper'.

There is certainly a problem that Toyota needs to get a grip of....fitting a higher capacity and better quality Battery...would surely help the situation?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

There is certainly a problem that Toyota needs to get a grip of....fitting a higher capacity and better quality battery...would surely help the situation?

In the short term higher capacity would help but, as I think Cyker explained, that would only delay the inevitable.   Your two week holiday trip might be OK but a three week one might still result in a flat Battery.

Better quality certainly. 

But a better charging regime that doesn't require an hour in Ready mode every week, a reduced parasitic drain, and an integral 'jump start system' using the HV Battery are things they should consider.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A colleague from work - yaris cross 2023 - flat Battery a month after buying the car (she didn't use the car for a week)
Then she had the Turkish car Battery replaced with "Varta 44Ah"
Now, after returning from the hospital where she spent 3 weeks.
The first time she had to unlock it with a key. "Smart entry" was automatically deactivated by the system. No problem with starting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you suffer from a flat 12 volt Battery and car wont start without a jumper pack of some sort then try this providing the HV Battery has a good charge lets say above 60%.

Pull up the handbrake button and keep it up then press the starter button and hold it down after 45 seconds release handbrake button then start button.

Hopefully car will start but it depents on type of 12 volt Battery fault and how low it is after a quick boost from HV battery.

• Like 2

Where'd you find that? I've not heard of that trick.

10 hours ago, Dala said:

A colleague from work - yaris cross 2023 - flat battery a month after buying the car (she didn't use the car for a week)
Then she had the Turkish car battery replaced with "Varta 44Ah"
Now, after returning from the hospital where she spent 3 weeks.
The first time she had to unlock it with a key. "Smart entry" was automatically deactivated by the system. No problem with starting.

Well I hope the new 2024 model Yaris hatch as this Battery I thought the Yaris was too low for me but I put on highest seat setting 

My Chr goes in for a service next week I have a Yaris design curtesy car so I’m going to go on an economy run with heating etc switched off ! If I like it I can have the new 2024 model design on motability free or the excel 2024 model for £600 ?  I think I will pay the £600 for the extra equipment as I have the car for 3 years 

• Like 1

My Chr 1.8 hybrid did 58.7 mpg doing 65 mph on a 50 mile journey on the M1 on Sunday that’s with heater on 2 bars I’m hoping the Yaris can beat that ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links