Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

38 minutes ago, RickyC said:

I searched on online manuals and on my paper one but I didn't find this procedure.

Can you check on your paper one ?

See 6 posts above from Chas G

34 minutes ago, jthspace said:

See 6 posts above from Chas G

The “procedure” I think @RickyC is looking for is the suggestion that you can charge a flat Battery by some combination of EPB and ready button posted by @Derek.w.

If you suffer from a flat 12 volt Battery and car wont start without a jumper pack of some sort then try this providing the HV Battery has a good charge lets say above 60%.

Pull up the handbrake button and keep it up then press the starter button and hold it down after 45 seconds release handbrake button then start button.

Hopefully car will start but it depents on type of 12 volt battery fault and how low it is after a quickboost from HV battery.

• Like 3

Correct.

It smells a bit of black magic 😉  but if it works it's fantastic 😀 !!!!!

But while you keep handbrake pulled and starter pressed do you need also to sing some magic spell in antique japanese language ? 😁

• Haha 2

Jokes apart there's a point that it's not clear to me in this forced recharge procedure.

To start the 12V Battery charge it's necessary to close HV Battery contactors and activate DC-DC circuit.  

But to do it you need a 12V power source, that it's supposed to be not sufficient to start the process in ths moment.

Am I missing something ?

• Like 1

Guessing, there may be something that allows power build up such as charging a capacitor. 

What Graham didn't mention, you must pull the EPB switch with your Right hand and you press the Start button with your Left.  This will enable you to time 45 seconds on your watch.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

What Graham didn't mention, you must pull the EPB switch with your Right hand and you press the Start button with your Left.  This will enable you to time 45 seconds on your watch.

What I posted was copied directly from @Derek.w’s post (unfortunately I’m not skilled enough to copy and paste as if the actual quote so I copied text).  So I assume you have experimented and realised the ‘hands’ business ?

• Haha 2

But what if you've got the old fashioned key? 🤔

• Haha 2

Call AA and make sure you became a member in advance.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I assume you have experimented and realised the ‘hands’ business ?

I was joking.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I was joking.

I wasn’t !!

20240120_152448.thumb.jpg.ff021337ded4ec772497b46e138da4b8.jpg

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I was joking.

I think I have that covered. Its just a bit of a faff pressing the button on my emergency watch with my nose.

Ps I just started my neighbours diesel Peugeot 3008 with my Noco 20 so it wasn't money wasted and at least I know how to use it should the need arise.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Guessing, there may be something that allows power build up such as charging a capacitor. 

Correct......

I drive an LHD car 😁

• Haha 4

Sorry I was unable to find starting procedure for flat Battery charging from traction Battery looked in paper back manual & my electronic copy that I have plus tried a internet search.

You are just stopping for a short time the EPB from trying to disengate and giving the 12 volt Battery a small boost personally I turn off a/c then if was dark consider removing headlight fuses just to reduce starting load.

• Sad 1

But why EPB should try to disengage at this step ?

Automatic EPB disangagement is triggered by moving the gear switch from P to R ( or D ) but to do it you should be aleady in READY.

If you succeed to move to READY status the DC-DC converter will produce enough current to disengage EPB. 

Obviously less external loads more current can go to Battery.

So if turn off radio, lights and a/c is better.

• Like 1

You dont have sufficent charge in the 12 volt Battery so when you move into D the EPB wont disengage  system will have stoped with low Battery error.

This is just a somethink I came across but have not tried it out because you need a flat Battery & its for emergency use only if you at home then you just connect it to a mains charger.

• Thanks 1

My yaris cross did not start this morning. When the AA came and jumped started  he checked the Battery and said it wasn't charging correctly. So was faulty. After phoning the toyota garage, they will check it out tomorrow, but may charge me for a new Battery as I have only done 9000 miles since June 2022 when I brought the car. I was surprised as normally its doing too many miles that voids a warranty!

Toput it mildly I was not impressed.

• Sad 3

If they are going to charge you for a new Battery it would be the same one as currently on the car, which many finds not very good. Therefore the advice is to buy a better and higher AH one and get Toyota to fit it. Below. 

Yuasa

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MTE said:

My yaris cross did not start this morning. When the AA came and jumped started  he checked the battery and said it wasn't charging correctly. So was faulty. After phoning the toyota garage, they will check it out tomorrow, but may charge me for a new battery as I have only done 9000 miles since June 2022 when I brought the car. I was surprised as normally its doing too many miles that voids a warranty!

Toput it mildly I was not impressed.

If they want to charge you, then spend your £70 elsewhere and get the Yuasa Battery with more capacity and treat yourself to a boost pack from Amazon/eBay or wherever and add a CTEK charger to your wish-list.

I've had a no-name lithium boost pack for about 5 years, cycle it every 6 months and leave it in the boot. It was bought to boost a Citroën auto that often got left for weeks, sometimes months, although in all that time, I only needed it once but it saved a call-out (end of a 120 day cruise and Battery just too low to kick the starter motor).

• Like 3

Glad we told the dealer rep that expected to do 3,000 miles per annum to golf club and back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

If they are going to charge you for a new battery it would be the same one as currently on the car, which many finds not very good. Therefore the advice is to buy a better and higher AH one and get Toyota to fit it. Below. 

Yuasa

My dealer fitted a higher capacity Battery unprompted.   Not sure the make.

Before you make a decision find out the cost of a new Battery fitted and then discuss options with your dealer. 

If they do charge (pun) you might be able to negotiate a discount.  If it is lower than a Yuasa elsewhere then you can make an informed decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

My dealer fitted a higher capacity battery unprompted.   Not sure the make.

Before you make a decision find out the cost of a new battery fitted and then discuss options with your dealer. 

If they do charge (pun) you might be able to negotiate a discount.  If it is lower than a Yuasa elsewhere then you can make an informed decision.

I placed an order with the RAC to fit a Bosch 45ahr Battery to my yarid cross. After waiting at home the fitter phoned me and started to tell me I needed a special start stop AGM Battery from Toyota. I told him it wasn't AGM or start stop so he simply said he hadn't got the Battery I had ordered and maybe it would be easier if I cancelled and went somewhere else. 

I chose the RAC because I thought they would be able to deal with any error messages or difficulties booting up to ready mode.

Halfords advertise the Yuasa battery, supply and fit for about £120 but I am not confident they would be able to sort out any problems. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chas G said:

I placed an order with the RAC to fit a Bosch 45ahr battery to my yarid cross. After waiting at home the fitter phoned me and started to tell me I needed a special start stop AGM battery from Toyota. I told him it wasn't AGM or start stop so he simply said he hadn't got the battery I had ordered and maybe it would be easier if I cancelled and went somewhere else. 

I chose the RAC because I thought they would be able to deal with any error messages or difficulties booting up to ready mode.

Halfords advertise the Yuasa battery, supply and fit for about £120 but I am not confident they would be able to sort out any problems. 

Bosch 45Ah has a base 175x175? 

You can buy a Battery yourself and fit it for about £80 pounds regarding charging just stick a voltmeter into the accessory socket I suspect it be charging ok.

What you save just spend on a Battery charger & charge it once a week or more often if you do lots of short trips in a day then it stands unused for the next 3 days.

9 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Bosh battery code ifn it helps

Bosch S4 000  544 401 042  44Ah 420 amps

This is not a 45Ah Battery

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links