Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

Isn't just instelling a new and better Battery an easier way ?

As I mentioned before... I have a friend who runs his VW on 30 mile trips in order for the only purpose of letting his soot filter not get clogged.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

I’m a qualified mechanic and I’m not the least bit worried about these battery issues but all this measuring battery voltage is a joke and not at all reasonable for anybody other than a fanatic.   

👍👍Same with MPG monitoring, I get 57mpg, I get 59mpg, I easily get 70mpg, I put petrol in at one end and use it at the other, enjoy the drive and don't get bogged down with fuel consumption   

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

👍👍Same with MPG monitoring, I get 57mpg, I get 59mpg, I easily get 70mpg, I put petrol in at one end and use it at the other, enjoy the drive and don't get bogged down with fuel consumption   

Depends.

Don't worry,  but if you get 50 consider the conditions  or your driving technique. 

If you get 70 congratulate yourself or reflect to see if you have a queue of cars behind you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

Yeah 12v stuff can be useful info due to the perhaps not so good quality of the Mutlu, but it's not for an essay or dissertation. Most have given the advice to change to a higher Ah and better quality one, if that is still not good enough then think about changing car. 

Btw most of us put petrol in the rear end and it comes out at the same end, what car do u drive? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

...is there a consenus to the best available replacement 12v Battery to install?

• Like 3

Yuasa ? Used to be batteries that toyota installed OEM. 

They were a brand where many people managed to not replace it the first ten years.

So if they are still same quality, it's the best there is out there.

Batteries in hybrids have an other life than in ice cars but I think in auris cars they did well before.

Just... taking a higher capacity Battery is never a bad idea. Combined with a very good brand Battery : success is likely !

• Like 5

Yuasa are highly rated.

Screenshot_2023-11-03-08-30-33-180_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.660a9b2159c4f666c0bca01c0f0d3777.jpg

• Like 5

yeah sorry should have searched more - seems to be Yuasa YBX5202 45Ah 440A; does that sound about right?

Edit - just seen above post - thanks

• Like 5

2 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Used to be batteries that toyota installed OEM. 

They still do for Y4/YC, just not on the European market 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Btw most of us put petrol in the rear end and it comes out at the same end, what car do u drive? 🙂

Mojo, you have misquoted my post, "I put petrol in at one end (the rear) and use it at the other (the front)" I don't get hung up about MPG figures, much the same with the 12V Battery, I give it an occasional charge but not constantly monitoring it's voltage      

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hello!

For the first time since i bought a used Yaris Hybrid i have also gotten some problems with the Battery, after lending the car to a friend who managed to put the compartment lights on for a day, but anyway.

The car is from 2015, as far as I know the Battery hasn't been replaced before. Is it any point trying to charge it, or should i just replace it since i'm going to disconnect it? 

I found some batteries that I can buy nearbuy, it has a CCA rating of 240, and as far as I know, the one in the car is higher. Does it matter? I'm going to call the local toyota parts dealership to find out if they have the exact same batteries that comes with the car anyways. 

Replacement is easy? No stupid warning codes if I replace it myself?

Charged it up/drive a lot/ready mode for a few hours a week. It may be ok after that, if not get a higher capacity Battery like 45Ah. Hybrid doesn't need a high CCA. 

No warning code for replacement, it's under the rear seats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's especially the yaris CROSS that is suffering from bad batteries if I am not mistaken. Not your yaris 2015.

A Battery from 2015 that starts to struggle a bit in 2024 still fits in the category : very well done.

• Like 1

I asked if main dealer would fit a larger capacity Battery to my Yaris Cross. Not willing to fit anything non standard except some fly leads which they are going to do next week so I can charge up at my leisure......as long as my leisure is at least once a week. Roll on September 😃

23 hours ago, haelewyn said:

It's especially the yaris CROSS that is suffering from bad batteries if I am not mistaken 

Not with mine.   I am averaging 1 000 per month but it has been parked up at a friend's home for 16 days, an aurport for 14 and at a cruise car park for 14.  No issues. 

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 11:20 AM, Mojo1010 said:

Yeah 12v stuff can be useful info due to the perhaps not so good quality of the Mutlu, but it's not for an essay or dissertation.

Using a Battery monitor and noting the charge/discharge process is both fascinating and helpful in understanding the system.   If someone is disinterested they can ignore what's written, there is no exam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 6:30 PM, Fred123 said:

Hello!

For the first time since i bought a used Yaris Hybrid i have also gotten some problems with the battery, after lending the car to a friend who managed to put the compartment lights on for a day, but anyway.

The car is from 2015, as far as I know the battery hasn't been replaced before. Is it any point trying to charge it, or should i just replace it since i'm going to disconnect it? 

I found some batteries that I can buy nearbuy, it has a CCA rating of 240, and as far as I know, the one in the car is higher. Does it matter? I'm going to call the local toyota parts dealership to find out if they have the exact same batteries that comes with the car anyways. 

Replacement is easy? No stupid warning codes if I replace it myself?

Replacement is easy - It's not a BMW so you don't need some special code programmer to replace the Battery :laugh: 

Just make sure it's the right size and the terminals are the right way round and you should be fine.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:08 PM, haelewyn said:

It's especially the yaris CROSS that is suffering from bad batteries if I am not mistaken. Not your yaris 2015.

A battery from 2015 that starts to struggle a bit in 2024 still fits in the category : very well done.

It's all the new M15A-FXE based Yaris models, so the YarisX and the Yaris Mk4, that potentially have duff 12v batteries; I'm strongly leaning it to just being a low quality Battery (I'd never even heard of Mutlu before!), that once it is drained once suffers significant degradation thereafter.

I don't think I've heard of anyone who swapped in a Yuasa having a problem under the same conditions, and the Yuasa's capacity isn't that much higher that that on its own would solve the problem, so I think it's the Yuasa's better build quality and resistance to degradation that's helping...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just make sure it's the right size and the terminals are the right way round and you should be fine

Remember to remove and replace the terminals in the correct order or you may have problems. 

I bought a Toyota Yaris hybrid (70 reg) in May 2022.  In Mar 2023 my 12v Battery died and Toyota replaced it. They also supplied me with a solar panel which fits into the OBD socket below the steering wheel to charge the Battery when not in use.   Despite using this my Battery died again recently in Jan 2024. Presumably due to lack of sunlight recently. 
   I am not confident with cars and worry at handling the battery directly from a safety perspective. Does anyone know of any products which 

a) check the amount of charge left in the battery using the OBD socket

or

b) to use a battery to re charge the 12 v battery connecting via OBD port I.e. similar to  emergency charge for mobile phones etc.

These cars are being recommended by Which etc as best buys for reliability etc. also for elderly people (like myself) which seems odd given this problem.

Thanks for fast and good replies!

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

Replacement is easy - It's not a BMW so you don't need some special code programmer to replace the battery :laugh: 

Good to know, I'm so very not interested in cars and maintenance, and who knows with "newer" cars (My Yaris Verso '03, I really miss you). Glad to hear Toyota still keeps it simple. Only owned Toyota's due to it's reliability and simplicity. It's actually quite amazing how far they manage to go with close to zero maintenance.

4 hours ago, Yarisjo said:

I bought a Toyota Yaris hybrid (70 reg) in May 2022.  In Mar 2023 my 12v battery died and Toyota replaced it. They also supplied me with a solar panel which fits into the OBD socket below the steering wheel to charge the battery when not in use.   Despite using this my battery died again recently in Jan 2024. Presumably due to lack of sunlight recently. 
   I am not confident with cars and worry at handling the battery directly from a safety perspective. Does anyone know of any products which 

a) check the amount of charge left in the battery using the OBD socket

or

b) to use a battery to re charge the 12 v battery connecting via OBD port I.e. similar to  emergency charge for mobile phones etc.

These cars are being recommended by Which etc as best buys for reliability etc. also for elderly people (like myself) which seems odd given this problem.

It does seem odd reading these Battery problems has really put me off having a brand new Yaris cross on motability 

36 minutes ago, Countryside said:

It does seem odd reading these battery problems has really put me off having a brand new Yaris cross on motability 

I wish I hadn't bought my 22 Yaris Cross. I have enough problems as it is without having to worry about charging my Battery.

I bet I wouldn't have any problems with a Skoda Kamiq/Karoq doing 2500-3000 miles a year. Friend who lives opposite has a Karoq and pretty similar journeys as me every week.

I also don't like the complication of the hybrid system. Why did I buy it I hear you ask? To be honest I don't know why. It just seemed a good idea at the time and I wasn't aware of the 12 volt Battery issue.

For people doing higher mileage/use every week I have no doubt the toyota hybrids are a very good car.

Battery at 12.3 volts at 4pm so I put it on the Ctek 5 and it took 3 hours to get all 7 lights on showing fully charged. Having been to Watford 9 miles each way. Took 40 minutes to get back because of road works.20240202_144057.thumb.jpg.621c3295aac9a23af0f4e41da00d34c1.jpg

I don't believe that sitting in ready mode for an hour, as advised by toyboata, would have fully charged the Battery.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chas G said:

I don't believe that sitting in ready mode for an hour, as advised by toyboata, would have fully charged the battery.

It would appear some owners are never going to get along with the hybrid, it doesn't need to be fully charged it only needs to be charged enough to start the car the next time you use it, if you had an EV and got home with half a Battery of charge left and you only planned to do a 10 mile round trip to the shops the next day and another 10 miles to work and back  the day after would you put it on charge to make sure it was 100% charged the answer is no there is no need the same applies to the hybrid if you are going to drive it a few times a week it'll be fine if you are going to drive it 20 miles a week on two separate days you are going to run into problems the same problem you would run into if you did the same mileage in an ICE, the ICE Battery will eventually go flat it you dont replace the power used to start it.

• Like 1

Would agree ready mode for an hour a week is not enough to be fully charged,  though it may be enough to start the car. There are plenty of advice to change it to a Yuasa 45ah then see what happens. 

Hybrid maybe isn't for everyone who doesn't use very often, better off on a non hybrid which is cheaper. Hybrid works for me as it gets used often enough.

One of my journey today achieved below, engine was already upto temp from driving on a previous trip. 

Screenshot_2024-02-02-19-07-15-552_com.toyota.oneapp_eu.thumb.jpg.1fb4e8d2b38877b9f2afffa073bafe81.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links