Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

1 hour ago, Countryside said:

Is the yuasa battery made in Japan ?

Yes and no.  They have been made in Europe as well for 40 years.  Even the Welsh have made 80 million. 

15 hours ago, Countryside said:

I would think it will be a new Japanese battery as being built in Japan Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota quality ! 

I run a Lexus, one of several previous ones and they’ve had either Yuasa or FB (Furukawa Battery).   The spec and the output on the LBX is identical to the Cross according to Lexus Techdoc.  

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

I honestly think if they'd fitted Yuasa batteries instead of the mewtwo ones this thread wouldn't exist... but Toyota does weird stuff like this. It's like some weird blind spot or something, and I can only imagine there's some jobsworth manager somewhere in the chain who has to assert their authority and ignore the good advice from everyone else just to have their own way or something... :confused1:

Like where did this battery make even come from? I've never heard of it being fitted to any previous vehicle!

For the car to be classed as European (and get all the EU subsidies) it must have European content.  I think it’s at least 80%.  

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I run a Lexus, one of several previous ones and they’ve had either Yuasa or FB (Furukawa Battery).   The spec and the output on the LBX is identical to the Cross according to Lexus Techdoc.  

Omg has it got the same Battery as the Yaris cross ?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Countryside said:

Omg has it got the same battery as the Yaris cross ?

Probably not.  If you look up Lexus it is largely built in Japan,  is largely only known and sold to Toyota owners with little brand identity  (I quote).

I had seen a Lexus in our village but had no awareness of its relationship to Toyota until I joined this forum. 

2913bb38-b134-4157-b64e-12c9d78da6f5.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

Omg ! My Lexus dealer is just 4 miles away I must confirm this Battery issue I don’t want same Battery as Yaris cross !!

A Battery (or a Lexus) on a slow boat from Japan. How does that work then I wonder with regard to batteries going flat in transit......

(I wonder if they have a hidden super low power mode they can be put into for such scenarios that disables 99% of the background draw)

Asking for my Nephew...

Is the CHR Battery the same as the Yaris? Same Yuasa replacement?

Thanks in advance.......

2 hours ago, Mooly said:

wonder if they have a hidden super low power mode they can be put into for such scenarios

Most cars have it, it's named shipping mode or transportation mode. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I wondered but had never heard it mentioned before.

Toyota fitted my 12 volt Battery leads today and cleaned car inside and out. With the aid of a ctek 2.5 extension lead and the Battery charger secured on the wall at high level, I will be able to just drive into my garage and plug in through the open back window.

It would be even more convenient if toyota fitted an external socket.

Happy enough though with the compromise solution and Steven Eagell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Toyota fitted my 12 volt battery leads today and cleaned car inside and out. With the aid of a ctek 2.5 extension lead and the battery secured on the wall, I will be able to just drive into my garage and plug in through the open back window.

It would be even more convenient if toyota fitted an external socket.

Happy enough though with the compromise solution and Steven Eagell. 

It will also be OK to have the lead out through the door opening and close and lock the door if you are worried about security.  I charge this way as the car is on the drive and I don't want to leave it with a window slightly open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/4/2024 at 4:23 PM, jthspace said:

Asking for my Nephew...

Is the CHR battery the same as the Yaris? Same Yuasa replacement?

Thanks in advance.......

According to their website, no.  You want a YBX5012.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has any one experience of regularly using the leave the car in ready mode once a week as advised by dealers? Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

21 hours ago, chazbri said:

Has any one experience of regularly using the leave the car in ready mode once a week as advised by dealers? Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

I’ve got an elderly friend who does very little mileage in hers, it’s done 6700 in three years and she’s followed my advice and left in ready for an hour once if she doesn’t use it in a fortnight.  It’s got the original Mutlu Battery and it’s never failed once.  None of mine (Yaris 4 and Cross) failed although I only owned them for about 6 months each.  I have another friend who used his daily and by about the third or fourth month it failed so we put a Yuasa on and cured it.  That’s been written off now so there’s a good Battery in a scrap yard somewhere.  Got another mate with a 21 Excel.  His Battery got so unreliable it failed frequently and had recovery out weekly.   I put a Yuasa on that about 6 months ago and it’s never failed once even through winter.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Don, Ive had a X for 2 years and although it's only done 7000 miles in that time the Battery never failed to start the car. In my experience its always been fine in fact Ive just traded it in for another X.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, anchorman said:

I’ve got an elderly friend who does very little mileage in hers, it’s done 6700 in three years and she’s followed my advice and left in ready for an hour once if she doesn’t use it in a fortnight.  It’s got the original Mutlu battery and it’s never failed once.  None of mine (Yaris 4 and Cross) failed although I only owned them for about 6 months each.  I have another friend who used his daily and by about the third or fourth month it failed so we put a Yuasa on and cured it.  That’s been written off now so there’s a good battery in a scrap yard somewhere.  Got another mate with a 21 Excel.  His battery got so unreliable it failed frequently and had recovery out weekly.   I put a Yuasa on that about 6 months ago and it’s never failed once even through winter.  

Many people are on their knees praying the new 2024 revised Yaris has a Yuasa Battery fitted Don including me 

If prayers doesn't work, spend sub £70, then thou shall be blessed. 

Screenshot_2024-02-20-18-33-53-375_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.ea22991c444aa3dfa4314592f40611fd.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2024 at 11:44 AM, chazbri said:

Note that you only need to do this if you basically don't use the car. If you drive the car fairly regularly and not just for 2 minute hops to the shop and back, then the 12v should get plenty of charge.

11 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

If prayers doesn't work, spend sub £70, then thou shall be blessed. 

Screenshot_2024-02-20-18-33-53-375_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.ea22991c444aa3dfa4314592f40611fd.jpg

Bless you be god be with you 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Note that you only need to do this if you basically don't use the car. If you drive the car fairly regularly and not just for 2 minute hops to the shop and back, then the 12v should get plenty of charge.

Yes but surely you leave in ready mode for 30 mins if you haven’t used it for say 3 frosty days over winter ?

• Like 1

Does the car use much petrol in ready mode for 30 or 60 mins ?

9 hours ago, Countryside said:

Yes but surely you leave in ready mode for 30 mins if you haven’t used it for say 3 frosty days over winter ?

This is what I do. 

Engine comes on very little so it doesn't use much petrol, if you have the heating on then it will come on more, more fuel use. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

This is what I do. 

Engine comes on very little so it doesn't use much petrol, if you have the heating on then it will come on more, more fuel use. 

Many thanks I could easily sit in car in winter for 30 mins with warm coat and wool hat on with no heating on nothing 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links