Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine replacement under warranty

gazooracer

I’m starting to come round to the idea of it being fuel related. All the blown engines have had misfires identified as broken injectors. I’ve run E10 almost exclusively for 32,000 miles, usually cheap supermarket stuff. I’ve had a slightly rough idle from cold recently, so run 2.5 tanks of v-power, which has smoothed it out nicely and it’s as smooth as new, not to mention mechanically quieter with the E5. I’m now running Tesco momentum E5 to prolong the smoothness, idle remains perfect too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, haelewyn said:

If 0w16 versus 0w20 or E5 vs E10 petrol would make such a big difference in your engine breaking or not.... I bet a lot more would go wrong and toyota would have to replace as many engines as renault and Peugeot do. 

Renault and Peugeot failures were simply due to design flaws, by the way.

Well at this point they need to start replacing the engines cuz three people on this forum have blown up their engines all due to injectors failure.

Those who are still running they're replacing injectors more than they replace their underwear or pair of socks to be honest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gray86 said:

I’m starting to come round to the idea of it being fuel related. All the blown engines have had misfires identified as broken injectors. I’ve run E10 almost exclusively for 32,000 miles, usually cheap supermarket stuff. I’ve had a slightly rough idle from cold recently, so run 2.5 tanks of v-power, which has smoothed it out nicely and it’s as smooth as new, not to mention mechanically quieter with the E5. I’m now running Tesco momentum E5 to prolong the smoothness, idle remains perfect too. 

But then they must specify that the car isn't made for E10 fuel which they haven't. The whole reason why one would spend so much money on a Toyota is to have a cheap to run car which in this case Toyota isn't.

All they're doing is, are lying and hiding the facts from their customers cuz they fear a big lawsuit being filed against them if they don't recall all the 2.0 hybrids.

But one thing they're not realising, the longer they leave it the uglier it's getting for them cuz more affected people mean more evidence against them.

• Like 1

My car 2020 corolla went in three times, had four injectors replaced (in warranty) every time one by one then two the third time, asked to find the root cause of the problem, I was given just one word at the pick up time, "SORRY" they couldn't find the fault. Has always had the car serviced from Toyota, the car blew up its engine 3rd day after the pickup.

The service advisor then rang me saying, I will be given a new engine in warranty, within a week car should be ready & I will be given a like for like car in 48hrs, as 48hrs met, service advisor rang me saying you can't have the courtesy car as that's not part of the warranty policy, complained to the after sales manager he repeated the same lines, when told about his service advisor's promises , he said he only said that "VERBALLY" after being dragged for couple of weeks got given little Aygo. All this happened despite having the full service history record required for the warranty to be approved. 

Long story short, after five weeks of back and forward I was told, Toyota has refused to approve the engine under warranty cuz they think it was dealerships fault, (they didn't put the engine back correctly). Now after sales manager has rung saying, they're ordering broken parts and lower block for the engine and aren't giving me a new engine as I was promised in the start. I don't know who to report the garage, cuz in my understanding they are fully responsible for the damage and they should give me what is mine (original engine which they broke) & what they promised me for in the start. 

Really sorry to hear that. A tough situation

I would start to "make some noise".

Ask the dealer to explain what happened in writing- send him an email and don't take phone calls, but ask all communication to be in writing.

Send an email to Toyota, so you have something from them in writing, then get in touch with BBC, or some other broadcaster....

• Like 1

Very sad to hear that Toyota (I'm not bothered if it's the dealer- who is the "face" of Toyota or HO) are acting this way.

I wonder if they genuinely realise just how damaging it is to the brand image?

A new engine is petty cash - reputational damage is big £££'s.

But, with my cynics hat on, I reckon all the manufacturers get together to come up with a "plan" where they're all pretty much the same and the customer just goes round the merry go round from one to the next to the next....

It's amazing what you do during a round of golf 😱 😀.

Hope it all gets resolved quickly and "properly."

Andy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyN01 said:

Very sad to hear that Toyota (I'm not bothered if it's the dealer- who is the "face" of Toyota or HO) are acting this way.

I wonder if they genuinely realise just how damaging it is to the brand image.

A new engine is petty cash - reputational damage is big £££'s.

But, with my cynics hat on, I reckon all the manufacturers get together to come up with a "plan" where they're all pretty much the same and the customer just goes round the merry go round from one to the next to the next....

It's amazing what you do during a round of golf 😱 😀.

Andy

You say the engine failed 3 days after pick up, was that the original purchase? If so you should have rejected the car as not fit for purpose, maybe not complex now so I’d talk to trading standards or whatever they are called now, your contract is with the dealer. If Toyota and the dealer aren’t agreeing that isn’t your problem, the company selling you the car is responsible. 
was this car used? was it a manufacturing fault or usage? The former works be a quality claim with Toyota and I’d ask for a goodwill gesture if they don’t want to take blame

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gazooracer said:

Well at this point they need to start replacing the engines cuz three people on this forum have blown up their engines all due to injectors failure.

Those who are still running they're replacing injectors more than they replace their underwear or pair of socks to be honest.

It seems to me though that the blown up engines occurred soon after dealers changed injectors, rather than the injector failure in itself? It suggests that something is going seriously wrong during some of the injector replacements at certain dealers. The fact that Toyota are blaming the dealer for your engine failure and refusing a warranty claim suggests that too. But what? How on earth could anyone cockup an injector replacement to the extent that it destroys an engine? It's one of the reasons I'm going to live with the slight misfire on mine for now until more is known. 

Similar topics merged

Very good point on injector replacement I can’t see how they could mess that up 

I have had two instances where the manufacturer became directly involved.  The first, a Triumph with rust through the top of a wing after 2 years.   An engineer was sent to the dealership and both wings replaced.  It was a design fault. 

The second the SAAB chief engineer,  who happened to be on holiday, right place, right time.   Managed to demonstrate the wrong headlights had been fitted. 

It might be worthwhile asking Toyota for a proper investigation by an engineer. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 3:13 AM, Ambamzzz said:

2022 Corolla hybrid 2.0 l, went in for injector replacement on the 14th dec after misfiring for a few weeks on idle , mileage was 23k , got the car back on the 15th and the engine blew on the 18th while accelerating down slip road, took it to Toyota who said they would replace the engine after investigating but did not accept that they could of caused the issue , the rod bearing had gone through the engine and blown out the bottom end, long story short I got the car back today and all seems fine touch wood , however they should be giving you a courtesy car as standard as they need to keep you mobile , unfortunately the only way I could get any updates was physically going into the dealership once a week as the phone system is terrible, I would ask to deal with the manager which seems to get things moving and mention potential legal action , essentially I had to badger them regularly and put a compliant through to Toyota to get this done in 3 weeks during the Christmas period. Although it’s frustrating it seems to be the only way to get things done , the longest part was waiting for Toyota to deliver the engine , I would also get this all down in writing from them as it will help they seem, also it’s worth asking about goodwill I got my next 3 services free of charge from them due the headache I have had with them. Have been advised by the manager to use e5 as e10 seems to damage the internals injectors etc, I highlighted that it a manufacturing issue however Toyota are reluctant to recall them as they would have a huge law suit on their hands. They would rather let your car break down and treat it as one off anomaly , however the more iv researched this the more examples I’m finding of the same thing happening. I would keep a record of everything and make sure you get the paperwork for the new engine as I will increase the value of your car when you sell it. Long story short you will have to chase them and be persistent to get a quick resolution , if not be prepared to Wait a few months as their ramps are full of paying customers cars

hope That helps 

good luck

ak

Thank you for your input,

Did they replace your cars engine with a new one or repaired the same engine?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 5:13 PM, gazooracer said:

Hi,

I just had a call from the Inchcape Toyota dealership after 5 weeks, that they have ordered the parts for the engine, the lower block & the broken bits Conrod etc whereas the service advisor said to me I will be given a brand new or refurbished engine complete unit.

Manager said to me in the previous phone call Toyota has refused to approve the engine under warranty because Toyota thinks it's workshop's fault that engine went on the car.

I don't know who to report the garage or what to do at this point, cuz in my eyes, changing parts on the same unit will only repeat the cycle of entire catastrophic situation again. They couldn't find the fault first, they can't find the fault this time 

If I was you I would speak to the dealership and mention the other cases you have come across , I would also contact Toyota direct and ask how they have concluded it’s the dealerships fault ? And that you have other examples of the same thing happening to number of 2.0l corollas online and in this forum , I would argue for a new engine as I was advised the faulty injector causes poor/incorrect fuelling which led to the premature failure of the engine ,if they still insist on replacing parts instead of the block get it done and all documented , then either sell the car or ask for something in writing to cover against the same issue or the rod failing ,the issue you have is that if Toyota is blaming your dealership , the dealership will be bearing the cost so they will be reluctant to replace the block although that makes more sense to a normal thinking person.

If your car is in finance you can contact them and they will be provide some options.

if you own it outright you could contact the branch sales of goods act 2015 

However because this dealership has done some work already other parties are likely to pin the blame on them as Toyota have done but there’s no harm in asking questions. 

I am going to contact the ombudsman in the next few weeks I will post what they advise 

good luck 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 7:46 PM, gazooracer said:

Did they replace your cars engine with a new one or repaired the same engine?

Replaced the engine with a new one bud 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 9:13 PM, Gray86 said:

I was advised this by the manager their initial assessment is that poor fuelling / incorrect fuelling caused the injector to fail which then led the car to fuel even worse , vicious circle , he advised me to use vpower etc ,and explained why , I have been since then but did mention to put my name at the top of the recall list as the it’s a Toyota not a Ferrari surely if it can’t run on normal pump fuel there’s a huge manufacturing issue 

the poor fuelling refers to the injectors not the way i fill up lol 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ambamzzz said:

sales of goods act 2015 

It is the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The contract of sale will be between the customer and the dealer, not the manufacturer, so any action taken will be with the dealer.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ambamzzz said:

I was advised this by the manager their initial assessment is that poor fuelling / incorrect fuelling caused the injector to fail which then led the car to fuel even worse , vicious circle , he advised me to use vpower etc ,and explained why , I have been since then but did mention to put my name at the top of the recall list as the it’s a Toyota not a Ferrari surely if it can’t run on normal pump fuel there’s a huge manufacturing issue 

the poor fuelling refers to the injectors not the way i fill up lol 

The fuel injectors are made by a small pool of expertise in the industry. Vast majority of car manufacturers have fuel injectors made by Bosch - I think Toyota is included. That’s where your beef should be. . . 

Bare in mind too, that E10 came out after these injectors were designed, although arguably the industry have known for a while about E10 coming, but it’s only now a few years down the line we are learning of the consequence of the extra ethanol in the fuel. 

v-power is great fuel ( even Tesco’s own fuel test against v power highlighted v-power was a cleaner fuel), but Tesco momentum is great value for 99RON & E5 at a mere 7p a litre (in my area at least). 

20 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

The fuel injectors are made by a small pool of expertise in the industry. Vast majority of car manufacturers have fuel injectors made by Bosch - I think Toyota is included. That’s where your beef should be. . . 

Bare in mind too, that E10 came out after these injectors were designed, although arguably the industry have known for a while about E10 coming, but it’s only now a few years down the line we are learning of the consequence of the extra ethanol in the fuel. 

v-power is great fuel ( even Tesco’s own fuel test against v power highlighted v-power was a cleaner fuel), but Tesco momentum is great value for 99RON & E5 at a mere 7p a litre (in my area at least). 

7p a litre or 7p more than 95RON?

3 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

7p a litre or 7p more than 95RON?

Oops, I mean 7p more!

20 hours ago, Ambamzzz said:

Replaced the engine with a new one bud 

How is the new engine running? Has it started any misfiring yet or this one is smooth?

15 hours ago, Gray86 said:

In the UK yes, but most of Europe and the US have had E10 since 2011 so there's no excuse for these injectors not being compatible with it. In fact some states of the US also have E15, E30 and even E85, but yet I don't hear of any injector failures on Toyota engines there, so it seems something else is going on here. 

• Like 2

It's also strange several people report engine failures shortly after replacing injectors.

Why didn't the engine break down prior to changing the injectors (?)

• Like 2

I wonder if some kind of injector coding process isn't being followed correctly when new direct injectors have been installed? 

• Like 2

I would expect Toyota to sort it fully out. Even if a Dealer issue. You the customer buy the car and expect it to be suitable as a car with any of the advised petrol grades.

You shouldn't be piggy in the middle between Toyota UK rejecting the claim and Toyota blaming the dealer. It should be between them to find the right way forward to help the customer and make life stress free. Courtesy car should of been offered straight away, not argued for.

If I was choosing a corolla I would buy the 1.8! Hope you get a satisfactory outcome, ie new engine.

James.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

It's also strange several people report engine failures shortly after replacing injectors.

Why didn't the engine break down prior to changing the injectors (?)

It certainly doesn't encourage me to rush down to my dealer to get the slight misfire on mine looked at! Either way it still idles more smoothly than any of the various diesels I owned previously, so I'll live with it ad infinitum as long as it doesn't get any worse.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links