Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sos

Aanicolaou

Hello. I bought a Toyota Yaris from Japan 2020 model petrol auto.

The car on the screen appears a message ten minutes after I start the car 

Emergency call unable to perform maintenance inspection .

When this message appears on the screen it instantly disconnects the android auto and you have to connect again.

The car try to connect via sos but because I am in Cyprus the car has no communication with Japan.Screenshot_2024-01-18-14-06-01-692_com.viber_voip.thumb.jpg.c3bbeacfeb6d99511afea98909b4188e.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey, same issue here! Same country too 🤣🇨🇾

Did you happen to find the solution?

Unfortunately no.

If I find a solution I will let you know.

I live in Nicosia. Where do you live?

an.nicolaou@gmail.com

In UK we have an emergency call system.  It is automatic in the event if airbag deployment I believe.  You can also initiate a call by pressing a button.  I believe it is an EU wide system and not Toyota specific.

As your cars are direct imports your system my be on the wrong frequency.   It might need retuning or a new module.

You could ask owners of other Japanese direct import cars, not just Toyota.   Mitshubishi used to be direct import.

It may be that the E Call module is a common  item across different makes.

• Like 3

Is it legal to remove these from a car?

Is it possible to remove them?

This is the sole reason why I will not have a car newer than 2018 when it became a legal requirement for manufacturers to fit them.

It is bad enough that I am forced to have seat belts, air bags and ABS, none of which I want.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Is it legal to remove these from a car?

Is it possible to remove them?

This is the sole reason why I will not have a car newer than 2018 when it became a legal requirement for manufacturers to fit them.

It is bad enough that I am forced to have seat belts, air bags and ABS, none of which I want.

How about wheels....are they ok...or perhaps a bit modern for you !  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Bob66 said:

How about wheels....are they ok...or perhaps a bit modern for you !  🙂 

Wheels are OK if they are wooden spoked with a iron tyre.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Mjolinor said:

Why? The first certainly saved me from serious injury back in the '60s as a passenger and the third I've only activated a couple of times, but feel it enabled me to avoid accidents. The second, I've never experienced - thankfully!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Why? The first certainly saved me from serious injury back in the '60s as a passenger and the third I've only activated a couple of times, but feel it enabled me to avoid accidents. The second, I've never experienced - thankfully!

Because it should be my choice, not law.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Therein lies the problem...the safety devices are there ...due to past accidents...they are intended to save lives or reduce injuries...NOT just to you, but to other road uses too. Who picks up the medical bills, for all concerned?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

That's very American (though even they do also mandate most of these things). But as Bob implies, are you prepared to write a blank cheque to the paramedics?

There is one airbag you can actually turn off. Have you done that? And if so how do your passengers feel about it?

And numerous front seat occupants have been killed by rear seat passengers who weren't wearing seat belts, one notably being two elderly ladies who killed their husbands.

• Thanks 3

Unless these were all manufacturer options it would cost you much more.  In fact it would still cost as the production variables would increase costs.

Today, when you buy a car, many features in the base model are 'fitted for but not with'.

Or in Teslas case 'fitted with (and paid for) but not enabled'.

I had fitted to my first car two front seat belts and a screen washer.  There was much sucking of teeth by the garage looking for strong points for the lap and diagonal. 

My second came with a screenwasher but the garage had never heard of hazard warning lights, ice detector,  or even a radio that did not require a hole to be cut in the dash.

Now very hard to find a modern car to which you can fit an aftermarket radio.

At least now I can find an affordable car that does not require me to scour Autocar for ideas.

PS, and wing mirrors on the wings on that first car.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I searched for compatibility of Japanese and EU ecall systems.  They are not compatible. 

If you search you will find many references to this and also systems failures.  The solution is probably fitting an EU compliant module.  One report says this is relatively simple if you can get hold of a module.

Cyprus should have the EU eCall system

• Like 2

Roy, thanks for your reply I think that's what the issue is.

Thing is, if i find an engineer that can turn my eCall system to CY version, I'm not sure the problem would stop?

As I understand it the system performs a maintenance inspection every 10-15 min to the emergency call button. It would still perform it even after the fix, and it should receive back good feedback. I need to check if CY people can do that.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yio P said:

Roy, thanks for your reply I think that's what the issue is.

Thing is, if i find an engineer that can turn my eCall system to CY version, I'm not sure the problem would stop?

As I understand it the system performs a maintenance inspection every 10-15 min to the emergency call button. It would still perform it even after the fix, and it should receive back good feedback. I need to check if CY people can do that.

🙂

If you replace e-call module ( probably is the same for all EU countries included the ones not partecipating to European Community ) the module should succeed to register to mobile network and stop complaining.  

If you can replace the module, I suggest to generate a test call pressing e-call button. Better avoid discovering that e-call is not working, when you've a real emergency ( obviously I hope you never have the need 😉✌️ )

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, RickyC said:

If you can replace the module, I suggest to generate a test call pressing e-call button. 

In this instance I agree.  

In UK/EU there is a cautionary not, every curious press generates a call direct to the rescue services and is effectively a false alarm call.

• Like 1

@Yio P relating to 'press to check', what light indication does your unit have?  As it is not functional it should not have a green light.  I think you should only have a red.

If you're Toyota dealership is not easy to reach I think any convenient garage would be able to help you m

@Roy124  yes my light is red! and when i press it, it talks to me in japanese 😅

The toyota dealership in Cyprus is very limited to the things they can help with when the car is imported from Japan. They say they are not compatible with the things they have here. 

So I will contact a mechanic and see what they have to say 🙂

Thank you everyone i'll keep you updated 😋

• Like 1

Try and find any dealership that uses direct imports. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

In this instance I agree.  

In UK/EU there is a cautionary not, every curious press generates a call direct to the rescue services and is effectively a false alarm call.

I agree.  In normal situations you shold not abuse of it or press the button to see what happens.

In any case I think that a lot of people are still totally unaware of e-call and probably consider this button as the auto-destroy or emegency seat eject  😃

I think that the Japan module is unable to register to EU phone network so it goes in alarm.

Probably we'll experience the same situation if we travel with our cars in Japan or other continents like Australia or USA.

• Haha 1

Pull the DCM 5a fuse and test, make sure all Speakers and your bluetooth works

if needed, you can disconnect the DCM, but it does need bypassing

iirc it does not directly call the emergency services but a call centre that can put you through if needed, a lot like OnStar

• Thanks 1

I took the car to several electricians in Nicosia. They changed radio with another imported from Japan the problem continues.

They made various adjustments. Didn't work. They made various adjustments with the DCM .. didn't work.

what did they do to the DCM? and why swap the radio

Pull the 5a fuse, you may want to unplug the natural coloured USB plug (next to the green one) from the radio as well

edit. the DCM is battery-backed up so you will need to unplug the usb

• 3 weeks later...

The same problem occurs in Cyprus.

My master turned to the guys from the official Toyota service center, but they don’t know how to fix it.

just unplug the DCM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links